I just want to know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DagS132

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here works part time and go to school full time in undergrad? I can't do it. Halfway through the semester and im going to quit my job. Failing one class, getting A or B in other 4. Please tell me im not being a baby....:bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not being a baby. If you can afford not working, your grades should improve which admission committees look more at than your work experience. If possible, find a job that would allow you to study during downtime, like a hotel clerk. If you're not so lucky, don't sweat it. You will make well over 7x the amount you make now as a dentist to pay back whatever loans you have. Priorities.

I think it's all about balance and knowing your strengths. I work two jobs, both being part- time (like really flexible hours for part times lol)...tbh I wouldn't work if I didn't need the experience or the money.. but unfortunately I do. Sometimes, juggling all of them is too much. But then again, I'll for sure have to cut my hours once I transfer this spring. I say shadowing and volunteering is enough to put on resume. I know classes are hard, but try to fit in even shadowing if you can... and if that's the only thing you do, then shadowing at more than one place and different specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was self-employed during undergrad. Fixing cars and whatnot on my own time, which made everything else possible. Quit the job if you need to.

Who here works part time and go to school full time in undergrad? I can't do it. Halfway through the semester and im going to quit my job. Failing one class, getting A or B in other 4. Please tell me im not being a baby....:bang:
Me! I know exactly how you feel! I'm taking too many classes, as well as part time job, and I never felt so busy. Even though my job doesn't require too many hours, I feel it takes some time. However, if it comes to a point where I will FAIL a class, I would definetly ask to get less hours, or quit. You have come a long way in applying, and there's no need not to do well now. You never know if you would have to apply again, so keep your same trend of grades until you graduate. We're almost there, don't give up now, and no you're not being a baby. Working to a point of failing a class is not worth it, quit if you have to. Keep your grades a priority, and you never know, you can get As in some of those other classes as well! :)

and i'm sorry I'm assuming you have applied, but even if you haven't keep your grades a priority regardless lol

Last edited:
I've worked part time all four years of undergrad, but always walked into places of employment with transparency that school comes first, and that I will ask off days before exams and such. Time management and planning are crucial. The instant you get your syllabus for each class, use it wisely. Work only the weekends if possible, and only if you need the money. It can definitely be done, it just takes really maneuvering your schedule and saying no to fun stuff sometimes. You're not a baby, you just haven't found the right method that works for you.

I am. Also married with a baby. I played football my first 2 years of undergrad so it's easier than that. I find I personally get better grades when I'm busy because I'm forced to manage my time. It takes some getting used to!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am. Also married with a baby. I played football my first 2 years of undergrad so it's easier than that. I find I personally get better grades when I'm busy because I'm forced to manage my time. It takes some getting used to!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree. I do better when I am overloaded and so busy that I can't even tell you that I'm busy--because that's truly how busy I am. Some people claim to always be busy but it's just a matter of what they want to prioritize.

Regardless, I think SDN should give you a trophy or award. Anyone who does or did undergrad with a baby, and football, and a job, and a wife .... Impressive!

I worked full time while going to school fulltime. It's very doable but You have to make sacrifices like going out less Friday's and spending weekends studying more.

right now I am full time active duty military... but luckily my job in the military is a dental tech.. and going to school when I have time.

Thanks for all the responses.
I had to quit though. I was sleeping 5-6 hours a night and only spending 2-3 hours/day just chilling and eating. Worked weekends 9-5(occasionally till 7) and 1-2 hours on some weekdays. I physically did not have enough time to study for everything and complete assignments. I think the lack of sleep really slowed down my ability to remember things.
Anyway, things are good now. Started getting A's on quizzes in the course im failing so its looking up.