I know *I* think this is a bad idea, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina 07

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could collect some opinions from *knowledgeable people*. Not just other folks like me who have an opinion, but are only going by what they've heard 10th-hand.

See, my boyfriend's dad knows someone who knows someone who works on an adcomm, and the dad thinks it would be a great idea for the adcomm to write a letter of recommendation to quickly add to this guy's file at all the schools where he's applied -- including the school where the doctor is currently an adcomm.

My boyfriend doesn't know this adcomm, at all. I fail to see how it could be a good thing, personally, and I rather doubt that the adcomm has actually agreed to it or thinks it useful, either -- I rather suspect that this is only my boyfriend's dad being too enthusiastic.

BUT, I need some credible opinions on this to bring back to my boyfriend on the issue, because me -- what do I really know?

So if anyone feels particularly well-positioned to argue for or against this, please do! Thank you!

Sorry -- I feel very silly for asking about this, but I thought I might as well, to bring him more informed opinions. He *is* doing his own research into the value of this, too, but I thought I might as well ask here to help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I could collect some opinions from *knowledgeable people*. Not just other folks like me who have an opinion, but are only going by what they've heard 10th-hand.

See, my boyfriend's dad knows someone who knows someone who works on an adcomm, and the dad thinks it would be a great idea for the adcomm to write a letter of recommendation to quickly add to this guy's file at all the schools where he's applied -- including the school where the doctor is currently an adcomm.

My boyfriend doesn't know this adcomm, at all. I fail to see how it could be a good thing, personally, and I rather doubt that the adcomm has actually agreed to it or thinks it useful, either -- I rather suspect that this is only my boyfriend's dad being too enthusiastic.

BUT, I need some credible opinions on this to bring back to my boyfriend on the issue, because me -- what do I really know?

So if anyone feels particularly well-positioned to argue for or against this, please do! Thank you!

Sorry -- I feel very silly for asking about this, but I thought I might as well, to bring him more informed opinions. He *is* doing his own research into the value of this, too, but I thought I might as well ask here to help.

wow. you write like you talk (even though ive never heard you talk... hah.).

you never specified if the adcomm member is the doctor? (....dation to quickly add to this guy's file at all the schools where he's applied -- including the school where the doctor is currently an adcomm.)

I think you shouldn't do it just because he doesn't know him at all. It'll be a vacant letter. If the actual adcomm member thinks its a good idea than it would be (since he would know... for at least the school that he works for, that it would be a positive thing).

Im stickin with not a good idea. probably wouldnt hurt tho.

I am on an adcom. I know someone who knows someone whose daughter's application is before my committee this week. There is no way on earth that I could write a letter for that applicant. I don't recall ever having met her; I don't know her except for what I read in her file.

A LOR usually opens with a statement that the writer is glad for the opportunity to write the letter and a little background as to how the writer and applicant met, how long they've known one another and the on-going relationship if any (one might say that they met when the student took O-Chem 3 years ago and that the applicant has since served as a TA for the course, and stayed in touch after graduation...)

Thank your BF for his thoughtfulness but tell him it isn't a great idea.

Members don't see this ad :)

just on a sidenote how come it seems like your doing all the posting and your boyfriend isnt ? isnt he the one going to medical school? shouldnt he be the one whos interested in this? are you him?

Gee, I get so many posts asking me why he doesn't just write here himself. He does look for information himself. Just not here. I happen to like this forum. That's all it is. If this post were about me, I would confess to it. No, it's about him, and he's not lazy, either -- he just doesn't read this one particular forum. Does that make sense?

It's really quite simple: You can't write a meaningful or helpful letter about somebody you don't know anything about, or haven't even met. End of story.

I think you put the wrong em*PHA*is on the wrong syLLAbles!

On second thought, how 'bout this:

To All It May Concern,

Howdy Y'all!
I'm Dr. Joe Blow, M.D., Assistant Clinical Instructor and Associate Adcom Member of Wallaballoo Outback Medical School.

I'm writing on behalf of Karina07's boyfriend. I haven't really met 'im and don't really know 'im, but 'is the son of a friend of a friend.

Now, I mesself keep a pretty high standard as to what kind of friends I associate mesself with, and I'm sure my friends do the same. And since friendly friends tend to have really nice families 'n'all, I'm sure that Karina07's boyfriend's really a nice guy, who'd do great in whatever avenue he intends to persue. Guess it's a doc he wants to be, and that'll be really great too, I'm sure.

Now, if y'all have any further questions, i guess you'd best call Karina07's boyfriend's dad, as I've heard he knows him really well, and can give a fully independent evaluation as to why he'd be really great for your medical skool.

Have a nice day, y'all,

Joe Blow

cc. Adcom, Harvard Medical Skool; Yalie Midikal School; Kolumbia Kollege of Phyzicyans & Zurgons; UZFX; Wasjington UNiverzity; Princeton Medical School; Univerzity of Shicaggo

On second thought, how 'bout this:

To All It May Concern,

Howdy Y'all!
I'm Dr. Joe Blow, M.D., Assistant Clinical Instructor and Associate Adcom Member of Wallaballoo Outback Medical School.

I'm writing on behalf of Karina07's boyfriend. I haven't really met 'im and don't really know 'im, but 'is the son of a friend of a friend.

Now, I mesself keep a pretty high standard as to what kind of friends I associate mesself with, and I'm sure my friends do the same. And since friendly friends tend to have really nice families 'n'all, I'm sure that Karina07's boyfriend's really a nice guy, who'd do great in whatever avenue he intends to persue. Guess it's a doc he wants to be, and that'll be really great too, I'm sure.

Now, if y'all have any further questions, i guess you'd best call Karina07's boyfriend's dad, as I've heard he knows him really well, and can give a fully independent evaluation as to why he'd be really great for your medical skool.

Have a nice day, y'all,

Joe Blow

cc. Adcom, Harvard Medical Skool; Yalie Midikal School; Kolumbia Kollege of Phyzicyans & Zurgons; UZFX; Wasjington UNiverzity; Princeton Medical School; Univerzity of Shicaggo
post of the year

Karina07, I wish I had a girlfriend like you.