I know I'm supposed to "volunteer" at a hospital- but what does that mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DLiebz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this post is redundant since I imagine it's not a very original question. If it is redundant, please feel free to point me in the direction of a pre-existing thread- I just couldn't find it...

I'm a rising sophomore at Brandeis University, thinking premed and therefore doing pre-medy things like getting good grades, getting involved on campus, and making friends with teachers. I'm currently taking an EMT course which should be complete mid june which will enable me to work as an EMT-B for my on-campus EMS service. All that aside, I've heard a million times how important "clinical" experience and hospital volunteering is, but I just went to my local hospital's website (Fletcher Allen in Burlington Vt) and I'm a bit confused. The "volunteer" opportunities listed are things entertaining kids in the waiting room, entering data into computors, and making gifts for sick patients. While noble activities I'm sure, how do these count as "clinical" experience? These volunteer positions do nothing to give me a view of the medical field, and I don't see how they'll help with med school applications. Am I missing something? Do people mean something else when they say to "volunteer"? And if so, how do I get into these programs? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere that if you can "smell" patients - it counts as "clinical" volunteer experience. In my experience I volunteered at my local hospital and came across what you are describing, a lot of cleaning beds, moving patients, delivering flowers and labs, etc. All, as you say, important in some way, but very often - not a very rewarding or challenging experience. In my case I found a clinic for under-served which actually needed volunteers, I checked in patients, did labs, simple procedures, etc. and felt as though my time was actually helping.

In applying to medical school I think it is infinitely more important to find volunteer experiences that you are passionate about, things that you can write about in PS and talk about in an interview. Admins will know the difference between someone trudging thru 100 hours at their local hospital and someone who has found something that inspired them.

Your EMT experience will be great I'm sure and a really great way to learn about the field from the front lines. You could look for clinics in the area or call local physician's office to shadow the docs and while you are there look for ways to help out - get to know the nurses - they hold all the power. You can find ways!

Also, often hospitals make volunteers go through a certain number of hours doing the introductory stuff (gifts, wheelchair, etc) then allow you to volunteer in certain departments with more nurse, doctor contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the EMT, you won't need hospital volunteering for the sake of getting "clinical" experience. I started volunteering in a hospital and was tired of not having any responsibilities other than cleaning beds, fetching patients water, and running down labs downstairs. I got a job working in the ICU with more responsibility and patient contact.

Like the above poster said, find something that you are passionate about. After all, volunteering is something you do because you want to, not because you have to.

I had the same exact question. I see people on here talking about volunteering at the ER but I can't find that anywhere on my local hospital's web sites.

Is it a private hospital? Public? Teaching? I think teaching hospitals are more likely to offer volunteering (though I have no data to back this up) and as such, the staff are more likely to take the time to teach you too (if you take the initiative).

It also never hurts to call/e-mail and ask for the Volunteer Services office.

Here's a little trick to volunteering in a clinical setting -- if your hospital won't let you do it or will stick you in the gift shop, find a free clinic in your area or a smaller hospital. Those places need volunteers badly and since most pre-meds flock to the larger hospitals, leaving only you at the smaller places, you'll probably get to do more. That was the case for me. I live in an area where there's a big state med school and a few teaching hospitals. I chose to go to a community hospital. I was the only volunteer on my service and the nurses allowed me to do a lot with the patients.

If you have a paid job in the clinical setting, you don't need to volunteer at the hospital, but volunteer work, in general, is important. Medicine is a career where you're constantly giving of your time to others. Schools want to know that you're inclined, somewhat, toward service. Volunteer at Big Brothers/Big Sisters or Habitat for Humanity or any number of other charitable organizations.

Volunteering at a hospital usually just entails changing beds in a department, running errands, or, if you are lucky, answering phones in a clinic department. Unfortunately, it seems that volunteering in a clinic has become more of a checkbox for a medical school application rather than something that pre-medical students do to gain a further understanding of how a clinical site is ran.

Looking back on it, my volunteer experience was just as I described. I would have much rather found a free clinic or some other medically related volunteer experience than go through a typical, uniform pre-med volunteer path.

Basically there are two checkboxes you need to fill in order to gain admittance to US Allopathic Medical Institutions.

[ ] Altruism
[ ] Clinical Experience

If you VOLUNTEER in a hospital, it does this:
[x] Altruism
[x] Clinical Experience

If you work and are paid for your clinical experience (EMT), it only does this:
[ ] Altruism
[x] Clinical Experience

If you volunteer teaching underprivileged kids math and science, it would do this:
[x] Altruism
[ ] Clinical Experience

Reactions: 1 user