i know its been beaten to death but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a site which showed data for numerous hospitals around the country and when i scrolled down they listed the following for one of the hospitals:

Resident program approved by ada: No

Resident program approved by ama: Yes

Resident program approved by aoa: No

Resident program approved by other: No

What does this mean?? That DO grads could never become residents in that hospital? Or does it mean that they only look at DOs or MDs who are trying to match in their allo residency after taking the USMLE??

The web address is: http://www.hospital-data.com/

Sorry again for bringing this topic up, but if someone could clear this up, that would be great!

Thanks,

J :)

Members don't see this ad.

UVMTrifecta said:
I was looking at a site which showed data for numerous hospitals around the country and when i scrolled down they listed the following for one of the hospitals:

Resident program approved by ada: No

Resident program approved by ama: Yes

Resident program approved by aoa: No

Resident program approved by other: No

What does this mean?? That DO grads could never become residents in that hospital? Or does it mean that they only look at DOs or MDs who are trying to match in their allo residency after taking the USMLE??

The web address is: http://www.hospital-data.com/

Sorry again for bringing this topic up, but if someone could clear this up, that would be great!

Thanks,

J :)

It means at this particular hospital, it has no dental residency, has at least 1 ACGME residency, no AOA-approved residency and no other residency (pharmacy, psychology, etc)

Now whether the ACGME residency takes DOs as residents or not is program specific.

EDIT: The website also confused the terms. The ADA and the AOA are political/professional organizations but also recognized by the federal government as valid accrediting bodies for their respective residencies. The AMA is just a political/professional organization. Unlike the AOA, the AMA does not accredit medical schools or residency. Medical school accreditation is through the LCME. MD Residencies are through the ACGME. It's confusing but an important distinction. If you visit some hospitals (on the site you provided), some will state that its residency program isn't accredited by the ADA, AMA, or AOA but by "other" - meaning ACGME. Others hospitals just assume AMA = ACGME when providing such information

So the ideal would be for a graduate to look at residencies that are accredited by the ACGME and that are DO friendly?

UVMTrifecta said:
So the ideal would be for a graduate to look at residencies that are accredited by the ACGME and that are DO friendly?

No, ideal is to look for the residency that is right for you. Could be an AOA program near where you live that has excellent training, or could be a ACGME program thousands of miles away that has never taken a DO before ... both pathways are valid and will eventually lead to board certification. Don't automatically discount an AOA residency as inferior to an ACGME program just because one is AOA and one is ACGME ... it's important to look at the individual programs themselves and see if you would be happy to be there for the next 3+ years, investing all that time and training. If you want the best of both worlds, there are dually accredited AOA/ACGME programs.

The only hiccup is the 5 states (Florida, PA, Oklahoma, WV, and Michigan) require you do an AOA-approved internship year. Now that can be part of an AOA-residency, a stand-alone AOA internship, or an ACGME residency where you apply and have the AOA approve it as AOA-equivalent (Resolution 42). The other 45 states it matters not if you do an AOA-internship or not.