I know it's hard to get into med school, but

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BeatrixKiddo

is it really like THAT, THAT hard? Should I be freaking out that I have a low GPA and haven't studied much for the MCAT that's in 2 months? And a bigger question than that is: Is the world as I know it going to be over if I don't get in? Please help. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Ha. Is this serious? almost 2,000 posts? I think not :)

Members don't see this ad :)
its not impossible

I think you should be most concerned that you reek of troll droppings

I think that she is amusing. So yeah, give her a med school seat, we need more amusing people in med school. Humor is good for the soul and for the body.

if you're smart, 2 months (or maybe 4-5 weeks, if you did well in your science courses) is just enough time to study for the mcat. stop screwing around NOW.

is the world going to be over? are you kidding? who cares.

I think that she is amusing. So yeah, give her a med school seat, we need more amusing people in med school. Humor is good for the soul and for the body.
I wish you had a med school and I was applying to it. Sigh.

if you're smart, 2 months (or maybe 4-5 weeks, if you did well in your science courses) is just enough time to study for the mcat. stop screwing around NOW.

is the world going to be over? are you kidding? who cares.
Hm... I did ok in my courses, but some subjects were just years ago and I'm realizing they didn't cover a lot of important material. I will stop screwing around next week though. I should ask pious people to pray for me.

I think you should be most concerned that you reek of troll droppings
You know, I realized that right after I wrote the post, but I think that's just an integral part of my personality. I tried to make it more acceptable sounding, but it just didn't get my feelings and message across properly. Dunno. Sorry.

i'll preface this with the concession that you're sassy, and therefore I approve of whatever you do, but:

how in the hell do you rack up 1900 SDN posts before taking the MCAT? that's like Super SDN Nerd Patrol material...

You know, I realized that right after I wrote the post, but I think that's just an integral part of my personality. I tried to make it more acceptable sounding, but it just didn't get my feelings and message across properly. Dunno. Sorry.

wow. I actually feel guilty for being an ass to you. And being that I have no soul, I rarely feel guilty about anything. nicely done, Kiddo.

i'll preface this with the concession that you're sassy, and therefore I approve of whatever you do, but:

how in the hell do you rack up 1900 SDN posts before taking the MCAT? that's like Super SDN Nerd Patrol material...

lol...I have to say, I thought she had already applied to med school myself, and was kind of confused why she was writing about the MCAT.

I'll second her nomination to the SDN Junior Super Nerd Patrol then.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lolll, dude, I have no idea, I guess I really am that pathetic.. I haven't even been a member that long!

wow. I actually feel guilty for being an ass to you. And being that I have no soul, I rarely feel guilty about anything. nicely done, Kiddo.
Haha aw.. love youuuuuuuuu :thumbup:

Wow Beatrix, I also assumed that confidence you were posting with meant you had already at least been accepted, but you haven't even taken the MCAT yet?

2 months should be fine for the MCAT. I started a little over two months prior, and then got really serious in the last month.

Getting into medical school is hard in that it takes work. But it's not as much of a "crapshoot" as people make it out to be, and being succesfull isn't a secret at all. Be a kind, humble, good person, and show this in essays and interviews (a hard quality to fake). Establish a good GPA with challenging coursework, and pursue ECs passionately and fully. Finally, get a good MCAT score.

Wow Beatrix, I also assumed that confidence you were posting with meant you had already at least been accepted, but you haven't even taken the MCAT yet?

2 months should be fine for the MCAT. I started a little over two months prior, and then got really serious in the last month.

Getting into medical school is hard in that it takes work. But it's not as much of a "crapshoot" as people make it out to be, and being succesfull isn't a secret at all. Be a kind, humble, good person, and show this in essays and interviews (a hard quality to fake). Establish a good GPA with challenging coursework, and pursue ECs passionately and fully. Finally, get a good MCAT score.

Thanks Humble! =)

if going into medicine is truly the field for you, then it shouldnt be that hard... i think the people that explain it as being impossible prob arent cut out for it

It depends on what the OP means by "hard". If you want to get into an ultra competitive school, then it really is hard, in the sense that you better have qualifications up the wazoo. For state schools and less well known schools you can probably get an interview with less steller apps.
There is a reality that not many people here understand, nowadays any reasonably intelligent individual who is determined and persevering can become a doctor. For those that have incredible EC's, Apps and MCAT scores (GPA >3.8, MCAT >35) then by all means apply to the Harvards, Johns Hopkins and Columbia Universities. For those with more down to earth, but reasonable numbers (GPA ~ >3.5, MCAT >26) than state schools and less well known schools are an option. For those on the low end of the curve ( GPA < 3.2, MCAT > 24) then DO med schools are a great option (they are a great option even for those with great apps). Then for those who have had no luck at all in applying to accredited US med schools, there are the carribean schools. As an FMG you might have to battle a bit more to get into a decent residency but at least you are a physician!
My point in all this is that for those that REALLY want to become a physician but lack the steller numbers, there ARE ways to go about reaching your dreams, if you really want to.

To the OP, try to do something about the GPA. You can repeat classes in which you didnt do too well. You can also take a post graduate program and volunteer some to have a more robust app. Study your butt off for the MCAT. Two months is enough time to get your act straight. If you really want to, you WILL do it, just think of the rewards that await.

Medical school is a constant struggle where you will find your stamina and wits tested to the extreme, where time is no longer yours to do as you wish. The amount of material is awesome and sometimes overwhelming in so short a time. You will find yourself questioining your drive and decision to enter medical school many, many times. By the second half of first and second year you will feel both mentally and physically exhausted. This might sound as if I am exagerating, but believe me I am not. It is a right of passage that most medical students have to pass. There is currently a few great threads in the allopathic medical student forum that deal specifically with this issue. So when some people tell you that medical school is "easy", it is not for most of us normal people. Either they are absolutely gifted in time management and study habits or they are lying through their teeth.

You might be put off by my description of med school, but dont be. Medical school is a mountain that CAN be scaled, and once you are on the other side the rewards, both personal and professional are worth it. Think of it this way, if so many hundreds of thousands of people have done it before you, then why not you? While my descriptions might sound harsh, we human beings are capable of adapting to almost any situation, including med school. If you really want to become a physician, then go for it. Dont ever let someone else's opinion get in your way. Remember, there is always a way.

Dr Who

is it really like THAT, THAT hard? Should I be freaking out that I have a low GPA and haven't studied much for the MCAT that's in 2 months? And a bigger question than that is: Is the world as I know it going to be over if I don't get in? Please help. :(

I started studying for the MCAT exactly 2 months prior, and scored a 38 (14,13,11), coming from horrible course grades and thus no foundation in the topics covered on the test. Like above poster said, if you stop screwing around right now, grab the Examkrackers books and get to it on a regular study schedule (at LEAST that of a part time job), you can do it!

I started studying for the MCAT exactly 2 months prior, and scored a 38 (14,13,11), coming from horrible course grades and thus no foundation in the topics covered on the test. Like above poster said, if you stop screwing around right now, grab the Examkrackers books and get to it on a regular study schedule (at LEAST that of a part time job), you can do it!

ditto. 7 weeks of study; scored a 38 (14 PS, 13 BS, 11 V). i enjoyed studying for it (for the most part); did TONS of problems. keep yourself busy, and i think you'll be ok.

good luck. try to stay away from SDN and the internet in general.

(i wasn't even aware of sdn's existence at that point, thank goodness.)

ditto. 7 weeks of study; scored a 38 (14 PS, 13 BS, 11 V). i enjoyed studying for it (for the most part); did TONS of problems. keep yourself busy, and i think you'll be ok.

:thumbup:

Also discovered SDN well into the application season. Thank god.

Dude its ridiculously hard to get into med school....just ask [email protected] mean he/she is the smartest person alive, but the dumb ad coms won't let him/her in.

2-3 months studying time is fine for the MCAT depending on how much you plan to devote to studying (hrs/wk wise).