I know my chances are low

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenkins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
But is there a way to improve them or should I just give up?

Ok well I am a Junior with a 2.6 GPA. The second semester of my freshman year and the first semester of my sophmore year were terrible I just slacked off and a I got a D in each of those semesters along with a couple of C's. I am in a pre-med club at my school as well as a chinese cultural club but I haven't done any volunteering yet but I did make an effort to get involved this semester but for whatever reason I didn't get any hours. My dad works in a hospital and he spoke to people in the ER about an opportunity there in the summer so I will definitely take a look at that. I volunteered in the microbiology lab in his hospital during high school so I could do that during my spring and winter breaks. I also called up some local hospitals about volunteering but I haven't received a call yet. Right now I am taking Organic 2, Organic lab, Physics A with Lab, and Chinese intermediate. I expect to get an A in chinese, a C in organic lab, an A or B in organic, and a B or C in physics. Also I applied to study abroad in China for the summer so I hope I get accepted to that. Wow if I were to apply now I would sound so unimpressive. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You dont sound unimpressive...BUT...you do need to pull yourself together!! If you are going for M.D. its best that you try and avoid getting Cs and make as many As in the sciences as much as you can and then perhapse do a post-bac. You need atleast a 3.5 these days to be competitive for M.D. schools in the U.S....you also need to really rock the MCAT...not all hope is lost...my G.P.A is a bit higher than yours but still below the 3.0 mark and Im going for D.O. because I abs. love their view and way of medicine...I am working really hard as well to get the G.P.A up and rock the MCAT...point is if you really and genuinly love medicine and want to dedicate your life to the service of the people...then dont give up so easily! You can do it :)

jenkins
You need to get it together. C's won't cut it for med school. It's OK to study abroad but you need to set priorities too. If med school is a priority then for the rest of your college career in the US you need to be getting A, A-, B+ in your premed classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish they required a premed class that taught common sense....

Since you seem to be lacking this, I'll explain how you can improve your chances:

1)your gpa is low: here's how you can fix it.....wait for it.....wait for it.....get better grades and stop making excuses for getting bad grades!!

2)you have no volunteer experience: here's how you can fix it......wait for it...volunteer!!

3)you have no research experience: here's how you can fix it.....wait for it.....do research!!

4)you have not taken the mcat: here's how you can fix it.....wait for it.....wait for it........take the mcat and do well!!

If you follow this sound advice that took me 9 long hours to find, you might be able to improve your chances

Just a suggestion. If you get your grades up, you need more extra-curricular activites. I have heard that the pre-med club doesn't necessarily get high points among adcoms. But I guess top priority now should be improving your grades; changing study habits, putting out more time to improve academically.

Good luck!