1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I know the topic of Institutional action has been beaten upon like a dead horse but..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by normanborlag, Jul 28, 2006.

1. normanborlag

normanborlag New Member

Pre-Medical
    Here's a new situation for you.

So a little about me. It took me 5 years to graduate with two majors, and I have a 3.0 BCPM and a 3.20 overall GPA. Of course, my first two years in college I wasn't pre-med, and my gpa then was 2.66, so the other three years I averaged a little over 3.5 taking nothing but upper division classes. So there's a definite upward trend. My MCAT score is 35R, with my lowest section score being 11 in Biological sciences. My extracurriculars are pretty solid, with the basic volunteering, research, and club activities penciled in.

My main issue is my low GPA and an institutional action I received about two and a half years ago. What happened went as follows: I was in a parking lot and some campus police were also in the same parking lot. One of the officers got out of his vehicle to tell me that I had to back up my car to let another officer out of the parking lot. In complying with his orders, I looked behind me and backed up. Because my head was turned, I failed to notice that he was still standing next to my car, so I almost ran over his foot. The institutional action was disciplinary probation.

Now in previous threads regarding institutional action, it's basically come down to a decision of whether the risk of clicking "No" is worth the benefits of not ending up in that special pile of applications that need "Further review", i.e. will most likely be rejected. Now, in my case, I understand that my very low GPA is already going to get me instantly rejected from at least half the schools I apply to. I also understand that no matter how easily I can explain my disciplinary probation, some schools will also reject me for clicking "Yes" on that box.

My question is, do you think I should take the risk of clicking "No", because I'm wondering if the deadly combination of clicking "Yes" along with my low GPA will completely ruin my chances of getting into any and all medical schools.

Also, I've already asked my school about this, and they say that my transcripts don't mention any of this. In fact, if anyone asks them for my records without written consent, they'll say that I don't have a record. I'm pretty sure my 3 LOR's don't mention any of this either.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have seen somewhere in this forum where members have said that you are NOT required to mention that "institutional action" due to some privacy act (I cannot think of the name right now). But basically your school is right.

I would personally click yes and be sure to explain how police officers like to use their authority excessively sometimes. I would only make that decision b/c I always seem to have the crappiest luck (not that you need any here...it just seems like nothing ever really works in my favor).

Sorry I am not of much help. Best of luck with your situation (assuming you are telling the whole truth... :p )

keep on chug'N!

cya

4. normanborlag

normanborlag New Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, riceman. Any and all input is appreciated.

5. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, that sucks.

For most all of the secondaries I filled out, there was a place to explain the diciplinary action. There is such a vast degree of what it could be for, that I imagine they read it and determine the seriousness of it.

Have you seen the write up that is on file? What's the tone?

Is there anyway that you can go through a petition to have it removed from your record (I have NO idea how these things work...I know that academic things can be petitioned)

I hope something this insignificant doesn't affect your medical school admissions!

6. pistachio

pistachio Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It won't completely ruin your chances. I had to check YES (for something substantially more severe than you), and my overall GPA was a 2.9 when I applied. I was accepted.

They way I see it is this - any school that flat out rejected me for either my GPA or for checking YES to institutional action, without regard to my situation or at least looking at the circumstances, wasn't a school for me anyway. I didn't want to end up at some puritanical school where the faculty is incapable of flexibility.

Test the waters. You'll be fine.

7. somemaybedoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Doesn't any application warrant further review? It's not like they go through the list accepting everyone without a inst action. I doubt you'll be rejected out of hand for yes, someone has to sort out all those freshman underage alcohol violations. I've heard you can get in with one of those without too much extra trouble, and yours doesn't sound too bad either. I'd explain it as a completely unintentional incident resulting from a touch of tired or youthful carelessness.