I know this question has been asked before, but need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people have said that they had a "ton" of cell bio/molecular bio on their step 1. I don't want the details (honor code), but were these questions dealing more with molecular bio or more with things like Clathirin, COPs, nuclear structures, collagen structure, etc. Any help will be appreciated.

Southeast represent.

Members don't see this ad.

zama said:
Many people have said that they had a "ton" of cell bio/molecular bio on their step 1.

Clathirin,

COPs,

nuclear structures,

collagen structure,

etc.

People tend to remember questions that they had the most trouble with. Take the "ton" with a grain of salt

Clathrin - which processes require it

COP - didn't have any

nuclear structures - differences between eukaryotes and prokaryotes

collagen structures - where do you find collagen Type n; where/how is collagen assembled

etc - reading the codons; understanding stop/start codons; understanding mis/non/silent mutations; understanding trinucleotide expansions

My questions were not that simple - i felt like you needed to be a PhD in molecular bio to answer the questions. Although I did not memorize every step in the collagen synthesis. I can't even tell you were to focus.

idq1i said:
People tend to remember questions that they had the most trouble with. Take the "ton" with a grain of salt

Clathrin - which processes require it

COP - didn't have any

nuclear structures - differences between eukaryotes and prokaryotes

collagen structures - where do you find collagen Type n; where/how is collagen assembled

etc - reading the codons; understanding stop/start codons; understanding mis/non/silent mutations; understanding trinucleotide expansions

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't feel like I had many pure molecular biology questions. The ones I do remember and had trouble with were in the stratosphere. I couldn't find the information even after the exam. I believe most of the molecular biology material was covered well in my biochemistry review.

I had a few questions on receptors. Nuclear, TK, G-protein linked. The last chapter of HY Molec and Cell bio covers it nicely. Reading that book might be a worthwhile 8-10 hours.

People had told me that the test had quite a bit of molecular/cell stuff, so even though I hadn't planned to study much of it, I actually did spend a day or so on it (high yields and brs biochem). Hah! I think I could have spent a week on it and still not known most of those questions. I had so many absolutely ridiculous molecular (messenger systems, cell transport, you name it) that at one point I wondered if I was taking the right test. I felt like I was taking a test for grad students in molecular bio...sigh, I don't mean to scare people, but I was really caught off guard and just wanted to let you know that you def. need to go over that stuff at least a bit. Good luck, hope your test goes better than mine.