I like Med school, but I'm sick of my classmates.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I don't know how half of these people made it through admissions. It's amazing how two faced and stuck up most of them are. Out of my class of 170, I have two close friends that I can actually trust telling things to. I don't have to worry about them running off and telling my personal secrets to the rest of everyone in the entire school. It's pathetic that everyone else feels the need to be like that. Not to mention some of their ideas on medical "ethics" are shocking.

/endrant

Members don't see this ad.

You know, if I flamed you like everyone else is going to, I'd be a hypocrite.

One thing I've learned since coming to medical school is that grades and personality aren't as important to getting accepted as one might think. Hell, I even figured that most people (>95%) in my class would at least be as mature as their age would lead you to believe, but there are about 20 who sit behind me and to my side who constantly talk, squeak, whine, moan, groan, chuckle, and heckle all throughout the daily lectures. One of our course directors even came to early lecture one day to admonish the entire class for their disrespect. And to think that one day I'll get to work side by side with these brilliant minds trying to save a patient's life.

People can be great, and people can suck. Just roll with it and get some experience dealing with your future doctors-to-be; consider it part of your "education" ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is about the time of year where everyone starts to get a little tired of their classmates. I'm at the point when I know when I need to get myself out of the med building STAT or else I'm going to go nuts. I think it's important to realize when it's time to remove yourself from an envrironment that will breed distaste and annoyance towards your classmates. Plus, I also know who I need to avoid and who I need to be near to maintain my sanity.

Yes, it's often scary to realize that we will some day have to work side by side with some of these characters. I also agree with Stinger86 that med school is a time where we're challenged to become TOLERANT of certain personalitites. In the end, it has to make us better physicians, right?

of my class of 200:

~10: trustworthy, honest, cool, fun-loving friends who i'll probably have my whole life

~25: chill, out-going people who i like to go out with once and awhile and with whom i do NOT talk about med school because they're intelligent enough to realize that the world does not revolve around themselves or the school they attend

the rest: arrogant, anal pricks who need to get the large pinecones out of their asses

i think everyone starts to hate their classmates at some time or another. when you spend as much time around them as i do, you learn to pick and choose the good ones carefully. it's really important to have friends out of school; whenever i get super-sick of these turkeys i just head to austin, dallas, or college station.

Hrm. While I don't trust or especially like the majority of students, I would not call them "anal pricks". I would hesitate to judge them severely, although I do see their weaknesses.

Originally posted by prettypea
Huh?

Well, it's just been my experience on these forums that when someone starts a thread about how much he hates his classmates, he'll get a ton of responses like "who are you to judge", "lighten up" and "you think you're better than them". I might be wrong this time, but it used to be like that..

Originally posted by buglady

Yes, it's often scary to realize that we will some day have to work side by side with some of these characters. I also agree with Stinger86 that med school is a time where we're challenged to become TOLERANT of certain personalitites. In the end, it has to make us better physicians, right?

My dad was telling me that people are often profoundly changed by their internship. he told me about one guy who was the wisecracking/making fun of people/party type. when my dad saw him subsequent to his internship year, this guy had become quiet/reserved and very serious.

yeah apparently having an opinion about people renders you a judgemental dingus in these forums.

And don't try to console yourself by thinking that the rude insensitive jerks will get their comeuppance 3rd year. That's what my friends and I expected would happen to the people who were disrespectful and said some awful things when we had some guest speakers in who brought real patients.....instead, attendings eat the bullcrap these people spew right up...

I thought my fellow med students were irritating as all hell until I met the most incompetent Peds residents on the planet during third year and some very uncool OB/GYN residents who behaved like wanna be sorority girls and were incredibly judgemental of anyone who didn't come from a rich family where Daddy was a doctor. My classmates seemed pretty benign after that. It is appaling to know that my school produces doctors who can't tell the difference between otitis media and ear wax, or who rag on single moms and lesbian patients behind their back.

The majority of my classmates are pretty cool, but everyone does regress a little bit. Obviously it's the stress, but it seems to affect some people more than others in that respect. In fact, there are a few in my class who seem to have regressed all the way back to elementary school, in terms of their social and emotional development. But the people I don't like tend to be the ones who take themselves way too seriously and are offended way too easily. In fact, there are one or two that I think should never have gotten in to medical school. But that's a far lower number than the people I've met in other fields who shouldn't be where they are. So while I have my opinion, I'm not inclined to spend any energy trying to get others to agree.

I came here to get an education, not to be a party-girl with a horde of admiring men, or to be the most popular kid in school, or even to find a husband--though if any of those were to happen, that would be fine. If my classmates like me, I'm happy about that. Who really DOESN'T want to be well-liked? But if they don't like me, or they find it entertaining to ridicule me or say ugly things behind my back, then I don't have the time of day for them. Why waste any mental energy or time on people who've shown themselves to be that shallow?

There are people with whom I like to study, because they make it fun, have complementary strengths, keep me motivated, etc. And yes, we do regress quite a bit as we study. But it's good-natured, and makes learning the material easier. And really, I'm open to studying with anyone who's able not to take themselves too seriously. Even so, after exam week I just don't want to see anyone in my class for a good 24 hours.

Originally posted by Stinger86
Well, it's just been my experience on these forums that when someone starts a thread about how much he hates his classmates, he'll get a ton of responses like "who are you to judge", "lighten up" and "you think you're better than them". I might be wrong this time, but it used to be like that..
I actually think someone a year ahead of him at the same school started a very similar thread about a year ago.

Sorry to hear that's how its going RJH, if it makes you feel any better, whenever some of your classmates sit down to study next to me in some coffee shop I usually have to get up and leave due to them being obnoxious. I'm sure I probably have some classmates that would make you do the same thing.

As for my school, I feel like I could trust a lot of them, but not count on many. Med school just makes so many of us (myself included, which drives me crazy) flakier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Samoa

I came here to get an education, not to be a party-girl with a horde of admiring men, or to be the most popular kid in school, or even to find a husband--though if any of those were to happen, that would be fine. If my classmates like me, I'm happy about that. Who really DOESN'T want to be well-liked? But if they don't like me, or they find it entertaining to ridicule me or say ugly things behind my back, then I don't have the time of day for them. Why waste any mental energy or time on people who've shown themselves to be that shallow?

I couldn't agree more. You go girl :clap:
~doc

So is it basically futile to attempt to choose a school based on "personality" since at interviews all you see are the pro-school activists? Also, it seems as if this is common at most schools. Is it sort of a lost cause to try to look at schools from that perspective.

Sorry to hear about the classmate issues rjhtamu, hope things are just temporary though!

I noticed a few of you were from the Houston/Texas area. I'm a first year at UTMB, finishing up my last block Neuro, thank god!!! I was curious as to the type of atmosphere at your schools, whether it is competitive or not. Of our class of 200 I can't say that I'm best buds with everyone here, but so far I've only met a few people who turned me off. Everyone else seems pretty cool...we all actually post study hints/resources on our discussion boards to help each other out. Maybe its just the laid back atmosphere of the island, or our "teamwork" approach to learning, but most of my classmates seem cool...even the "gunners" here. Actually come to think of it, since we're all "stuck" on the island it probably wouldn't be too wise to peeve off your classmates, I see these people everywhere I go!
Hey if you Houston people are interested, I run a dance club here and I organize group outings to Houston on weekends to hang out/go clubbing. Maybe we could all meet up and chill sometime. Alrighty back to Neuro :( 6 more weeks and I'm freeeeeeee (till 2nd year).

Originally posted by Baki
Alrighty back to Neuro :( 6 more weeks and I'm freeeeeeee (till 2nd year).
AHHHHH!!!! Only 6 more weeks! You're done in the middle of April?!?!? Lucky bastard. 2 more 4 week blocks for me, then 3 weeks of finals (which are actually pretty relaxed and its kind of feels like vacation, odd as that sounds.)

People work very hard at my school, but we get all kinds of outlines and study notes shared through email. Some of the stuff people put together is unbelievable. There are also the small groups of friends who study together. Sometimes I think people get too stressed in a sense that you want to beat them over the head because you know they work hard and are stressing unneccesarily just because they care, not in an obnoxious way. They just get freaked out in kind of a cute way almost, but also in a way where I want to stay away because if you're not careful, it could spread to you.

If you want the email address of our social chair for the first year class, drop me a pm and I'll get it to you.

I don't mean to be blunt, but can some of you post which medical schools you attend? You don't have to, if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

This type of environment seems quite out-of-hand, in my opinion.

-Harps

Wow I don't usually surf into the Allo forum, but this is really good to know. One thing I look forward to Med School (At least before reading this thread) is I can get away from the I-don't-know-how-you-got-into-college-here type of Undergrads.

I guess it won't change even in med school...

Something to keep in mind during the first two years of med school is that between seeing the same 100 or so people every day and dealing with the stress of anatomy, etc., we often just see the worst side of people. One of the fun thing about third year was getting to know some of my classmates better and realizing that they were much cooler than the negative impression I had gotten from the first two years. Plus it can be amazing how much people can mature in just a couple of years.

There are some really cool people in my class, and some eccentrics who always make the days more interesting. That's for sure. But I guess I'm just overly disappointed with how "high school" everything is. There are the definite clique groups present. The "cool guys/jocks", the Ivy leaguers whose parents make so much you'd rather not know, the "beautiful people" group, and the twins. If you don't fit into any of those, you're kind of left out of the social circles.

Take solace in the fact that in clinics you see people far less frequently than you do now. Also, it seems like there are a good number of people who become more likeable in clinics for whatever reason. Good luck.

Yeah, but there's also a few people in my class that I'm scared of how they'll handle clinics. . But I guess I also have to add that there's a few that I would love to be on their team just to see the reaction of the attendings and residents to. Its just too easy to picture an attending going after the throat of some of them. ;)

On the rare occasions that I speak to somebody from my class, I hear much the same. The drama is horrible, the people are mean and stupid, so-and-so is a bitch, that guy is a jerk, that guy is a *****, everybody whines too much, etc. etc. And I'm always very confused by this, because the answer, to me, appears obvious: don't talk to your classmates. It's as if when you get to med school there is some unspoken understanding that everybody needs to hang out and be buddies and "bond." Screw that. I have my own personal life and I keep med students out of it. Actually, I keep the vast majority of humanity out of it, but med students especially. Consequently I have no complaints about my classmates, approximately only 50% of whom I can name.

I could not agree more with sac. I go to a small state school where rumors spread throughout the entire campus within ten minutes. Since I'm an out-of-stater, I try to keep to myself as much as possible. That doesn't mean you can't be friends with your classmates. But I find it better to keep my private life private.

I mourned the social situation at school for a solid month at the beginning of last (1st year) semester. I've been out of college for awhile, so the cliquishness caught me very off-guard. Then, the beautiful, dazzling epiphany - the friends I made before I entered med school did not vanish from the face of the earth the day I first gazed upon my rotting cadaver. So, my social life (ok, ok, what social life I have... ;-) remains elsewhere, and it works out really well that way for me. Harder when you've just moved to a new area, but you can surely make it work, meeting people through your dance class/rugby team/church/local neighborhood bar/whatever.

And as far as med school classmates (and generally in life with regard to people's interpersonal behavior), here's my advice - maintain low expectations, and you'll be pleasantly surprised! (Although I really have to admit, there are some mindbogglingly nasty & obnoxious people out there - I try to remind myself that there's surely some reason they have become this way, and perhaps I'd be the same way if I were in their shoes. Doesn't help all that much, though.)

Also, as others have said, you probably don't know ALL that many of your classmates, unless you're at a quite small school - and I often think some of the most interesting people are hidden in the "low-profile" crowd.

Finally, I can't help but think that all this social angst is rather brief and artificial. I was out "in the workforce" for 7 years, and fer cryin' out loud, despite the fact that you were stuck in the office, lab, or on the road with people maybe 50, 60 hours a week, no one took work social stuff all that seriously. At the end of the day, everybody went home to their girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/kids/TiVo, enjoyed their hobbies, and maybe went to happy hour or a club with some like-minded colleagues if they felt like it. Big whoop. While at work, you enjoyed working with/hanging out with the fun people, and rolled your eyes at the irritating ones. Maybe talked a little trash about their crappy Java programming abilities if you were feeling really savage. Going from a youngish engineering/research work environment to 1st year med school, the environmental social angst quotient has skyrocketed. I've been a little flabbergasted by it, but I'm thinking it's age-appropriate and normal for a school environment. It won't last that long.

Alright, enough procrastinating. 2 weeks worth of accumulated laundry await. So cathartic...
:(

Geez, I feel fortunate attending my school. I've made some of the closest friends of my life...friends that have seen me (Gasp) unshaven after 4 days of solid study. I'm not talking about a few good friends...I have about 12 solid friends out of a class of 150. We study together...gripe together...run the halls when the stress level is high together...and party our asses off together (of course, only when classwork lets us).

Sure, there are people that I haven't forged friendships with...I'm sure many of those people have formed rather noxious opinions of me. And that's OK. I find it hard to believe that you can't or won't make such strong friendships in the face of adversity (and quite frankly...isn't adversity what we are all going through).

I'm not saying that school doesn't take on a "high school" appearance...that's what happens in small "communities", just ask anyone from a small town how fast news spreads.

And yeah, there are the Jocks (but they got in didn't they) and the Debutants (I bet when it boils down to it... you can probably make them laugh at themselves over how ridiculous they are) and the clowns (myself, partially-included due to my "laughter is medicine" attitude). But the reality is that we are all going to be a part of a club... patient providers... doctors, and that means a heck of a lot in the long run.

Sorry, just ranting. Flame away if you wish...

and yes...laundry is very cathartic.

Ugh, I came home today from school to find puddles of water in my bathroom and kitchen. Seems the third floor apartment had a leak.... wondeful...

The envirnment of medical school is similar to envirnments in workplaces with more than a dozen employees. You are bound to have people you get along with and people you grow to dislike. Also, rumors spread like fires across acres of dry forrest.

I think it's the expectation that its medical school that leads one to wrongfully assume that extreme personality-types would be weeded out.

However, as someone mentioned, thier is no correction between having a good medical school application and being a "model medical student".

On one extreme, you have a subset of very immature students(those that make fun of other classmates behind thier backs and spread rumors, and make inappropriate comments).

Another extreme, is the elitist cool people (they are very self-selective as to who they even greet).

And still, another group, include the arrogant academics. These cats love to enforce thier self-percieved superior intelligence on fellow classmates by blurting out answers and outright bragging about how high they scored.

In short, if you do not fit one of the above categories, then befriend someone like yourself and study with them, and politely avoid those that annoy you.

Originally posted by rjhtamu
Seriously, I don't know how half of these people made it through admissions. It's amazing how two faced and stuck up most of them are. Out of my class of 170, I have two close friends that I can actually trust telling things to. I don't have to worry about them running off and telling my personal secrets to the rest of everyone in the entire school. It's pathetic that everyone else feels the need to be like that. Not to mention some of their ideas on medical "ethics" are shocking.

/endrant

Do you really think that out of your class of 170 students, the only two "good" people happen to be your two close friends? Pretty unlikely. Extremely unlikely, in fact.

After a few months when 1st year starts most people settle into their own informal cliques with boundaries only shifting slightly from then on. Most people won't suddenly find new found soul-mates among their class members.

So, if you are like most of your classmates, you probably haven't expended the effort to really know more of your classmates. (This probably applies to 80% of people, although there are exceptions.) There have to be at least a few more people in your class that you would relate to.

I didn't say "good" people, I said close friends I can trust.

My close friends are all people I knew before med school. I'd welcome new friends, but the fact is, I don't feel like there's a void in my life. If there were more people in my class around my age, I'd probably have more of a social life than is good for me, because most of the people in my class are pretty cool, and I genuinely like them.

I look at it this way: on any medical staff, there are going to be physicians with whom I don't agree, and of whose practices I don't approve. It's in my best interest to learn how to function effectively in a group that contains such people.

Originally posted by rjhtamu
I didn't say "good" people, I said close friends I can trust.

I know you didn't, but your words seem to imply so. You start off by saying that you have 2 close friends in your class that you can trust. (This is hardly unusual, since most people have no more than a handful of close friends.)

But then you go on to say that other people talk about you behind your back and that "It's pathetic that everyone else feels the need to be like that."

By saying EVERYONE you seem to be implying that the other 167 people are untrustworthy or undeserving of your friendship. That was the point of my post.

It's likely that you haven't even scratched the surface of what most of these other 167 people are like. Yes, some are them may be bastards but not all of them. There are bound to be some other people in your class that you could relate to and find compatible interests with.

I think there are plenty of cool people in my class, despite all the really silly cliques. On daily basis, I talk/interact/hang out with 10-12 individuals, though. What depresses me is the lack of time to get to know people better. In my undergrad, I was able to make friends with multiple cliques and individuals because there was so much more time then to visit/plan activities with/get to know people. In med school, I don't have that time to work on maintaining so many friendships or working to turn an acquaintance-ship to a friendship. It also makes me sad that there was a whole bunch of people I hung out with early in the year that I was never able to follow up on-- we never ended up becoming friends, and I wonder if it's because I didn't make the time and effort to get closer to them or that they found my personality unbearable. Hell, for all I know, when you people post about obnoxious psychotic freaks that are sorry excuses for classmates, you actually mean people like me. But whatever, all of us must have been/are disliked by someone else. I strongly believe in that no matter how good, wonderful, and all-around ideal a personality someone has, someone else out there finds it absolutely grating.

I second what Stinger said...

Go to med school to get your education... If you meet a few friends along the way that you like, then great! If not, you have or at least I hope you had friends before you came to med school, and they will be there for you even though you don't see them that often.

But, don't expect to meet your best buds here...people are egocentric, probably myself included though I try hard to believe otherwise;)

Originally posted by neuropain
I second what Stinger said...

Go to med school to get your education... If you meet a few friends along the way that you like, then great! If not, you have or at least I hope you had friends before you came to med school, and they will be there for you even though you don't see them that often.

But, don't expect to meet your best buds here...people are egocentric, probably myself included though I try hard to believe otherwise;)

Bingo here, too. I hope that the friendships that I have made make it through the years. I could care less what the rest of the folks in the class have on their agendas. I'm the one paying the big buck$$ for MY education, MY med school experience, and no one else's.

a good rule of thumb in general is that people become a$$holes whenever they place more importance on some bull**** life philosophy of theirs than treating other people decently.

i think my class has regressed a fair amount, turning all high-school and stuff. which really sucks, since i hated high school so much. a lot of people discount what i say automatically b/c of my tendency to ask stupid ?s in lecture and my tendency to say "dude" with high frequency (apparently, philly, being 10yrs behind the times, never got the memo that "dude" isnt really an addressment to a particular person). f em. although know that it gets tough sometimes being above a particular level of bullcrap.

have friends outside of med school...lol isn't that much easier? you can be around people of all kinds

Originally posted by uclacrewdude
my tendency to say "dude" with high frequency (apparently, philly, being 10yrs behind the times, never got the memo that "dude" isnt really an addressment to a particular person).

Looks like I would have a rough time on the East Coast or Midwest...that's why I am planning to stick around cali :D

I say "dude" just about after ever 5 words or so....heheeh. I use "dude" to start sentences, and for transitions :)

-Harps

I called one of my professors dude once . . . i don't recommend that. It just slipped out.

Originally posted by madtowngirl
I called one of my professors dude once . . . i don't recommend that. It just slipped out.

i do it approximately once a day.

Originally posted by Harps
Looks like I would have a rough time on the East Coast or Midwest...that's why I am planning to stick around cali :D

I say "dude" just about after ever 5 words or so....heheeh. I use "dude" to start sentences, and for transitions :)

-Harps

don't worry - some people in our class also do this. ;)

I?m wondering how many of you are in my shoes. I don?t go to class much nor do I spend a lot of time studying. I?m pretty laid back and am somewhat of a clown. I never take anything too seriously, but I?m always respectful to classmates or faculty. I try to make an effort to be outgoing and friendly to everybody in class, but somehow I?ve been branded the nefarious ?SLACKER?! Some people won?t even return my hellos when I walk down the halls--they just walk right pass me! I do well in school. I just don?t brag about it or boast about my mental abilities like a good number of my classmates. For some reason once you get branded as the ?slacker? a lot of the serious-types (which is the majority of the class) don?t take you seriously and always talk behind your back. Some people have said some pretty nasty things and the funny thing is they?ve never had more than a brief five minute conversation with me and have no idea how I?m doing in class. I could care less if people don?t like me because I wouldn?t want to hang out with people that shallow anyway, but it amazes me that people will base their opinion on what type of person you are by how much time you spend with your nose in the books at the library. Any other ?slackers? out there??

That sounds more like real high school classmates back in the day, then my medical school cohorts today... Thankfully, most of my classmates at the medical school are at least polite, whereas most of the people from REAL high school I knew, even today act awfully towards me, so every other social situation since has been great for me, relatively. I'm sure there are some people in high school who would be friendly with me, but I either didn't know them then, or they were one of 5 or less people. So looking at it that way, medical school is a high pressure situation, somewhat like high school in a small-social environment way, but people respect each other on a basic intellectual level. So in some ways it doesn;t bother me too much.

I also agree on the level of shallowness; it just takes time to get to know people well. Also, I try to avoid situations where people are complaining about petty matters. Better to stay outof the thick of conversations like that, but lay no judgments.

007flint said:
I?m wondering how many of you are in my shoes. I don?t go to class much nor do I spend a lot of time studying. I?m pretty laid back and am somewhat of a clown. I never take anything too seriously, but I?m always respectful to classmates or faculty. I try to make an effort to be outgoing and friendly to everybody in class, but somehow I?ve been branded the nefarious ?SLACKER?! Some people won?t even return my hellos when I walk down the halls--they just walk right pass me! I do well in school. I just don?t brag about it or boast about my mental abilities like a good number of my classmates. For some reason once you get branded as the ?slacker? a lot of the serious-types (which is the majority of the class) don?t take you seriously and always talk behind your back. Some people have said some pretty nasty things and the funny thing is they?ve never had more than a brief five minute conversation with me and have no idea how I?m doing in class. I could care less if people don?t like me because I wouldn?t want to hang out with people that shallow anyway, but it amazes me that people will base their opinion on what type of person you are by how much time you spend with your nose in the books at the library. Any other ?slackers? out there??

Samoa said:

Tell it sista :thumbup:

SoulRFlare said:
My dad was telling me that people are often profoundly changed by their internship. he told me about one guy who was the wisecracking/making fun of people/party type. when my dad saw him subsequent to his internship year, this guy had become quiet/reserved and very serious.

I'm still waiting for a guy I know who is now a 2nd yr resident in medicine to stop being a "wisecracking/making fun of people/party type" person. Only now he makes fun of patients and their families. But what the heck... he's a brilliant doc and really a great guy. :laugh:

Harps said:

-Harps

I notice my cali classmates use that a lot, and its annoyinG!

007flint said:

They just want to see u whine, cry, sweat and complain like the rest of them, dont let it phase u. Just do u, who cares what happens at the end of the day. Deal with those u want to deal with, u cant be best buddy with everyone.