I like Med school, but I'm sick of my classmates.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rjhtamu said:
Seriously, I don't know how half of these people made it through admissions. It's amazing how two faced and stuck up most of them are. Out of my class of 170, I have two close friends that I can actually trust telling things to. I don't have to worry about them running off and telling my personal secrets to the rest of everyone in the entire school. It's pathetic that everyone else feels the need to be like that. Not to mention some of their ideas on medical "ethics" are shocking.

/endrant

Heh, you should have come to Tech! I think the majority of my class have a pretty decent attitude. Even though quite a few of them are hard to live up to (you can almost hear the choir of angels as they walk past). heh

Nifty. I went to A&M as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Samoa said:
Who really DOESN'T want to be well-liked? But if they don't like me, or they find it entertaining to ridicule me or say ugly things behind my back, then I don't have the time of day for them. Why waste any mental energy or time on people who've shown themselves to be that shallow?

so true....

I seriously love everyone in my class! It couldn't get any better than this! Sure there are a few robots, and a few people who walk around with a "clenched buttocks of anality", but that's what makes it so much fun! We go out together after every exam, have a movie night every Tuesday, go on trips to the mountains together, and celebrate everyone's birthday when the time comes. I guess that's one of the perks of a 100 person class.

Like someone before mentioned... tolerance is key. Spend as little time as possible with those that have the potential to annoy you and you'll be able to like them for a lot longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot seem to be scum. you have to, to want to do this for financial/prestige reasons. I cant stand the smallness. i definetly should have gone to a med school with an undergrad attached. My roomate is blaming me for the crap apartment. he has made a routine out of it that appears to define his life. the people in med school haven't matured or had many experiences in life. they just dont get it.
i cant wait until third year i can get off this rock.

sacrament said:
Consequently I have no complaints about my classmates, approximately only 50% of whom I can name.

Wow! You can name 50%?

I bet I could name 25%. Not that this is a contest or anything. I am definitely an introvert.

What it comes down to is that I only have so much time. I go to class, study, eat/sleep, and spend time with my family. I don't have time for much else.

So I am one of those silent people under the radar. Well, mostly.

i have to go along with splitting camel on being happy at UCI. Everyone has their little groups but there isn't any one person that I wouldn't go up to and have a conversation with or go out with for drinks after a test. I think it's all about respect...we have a pretty diverse class and although you may not agree with someone....if you respect their viewpoints and understand where they're coming from...it makes the next 4 years a lot easier!

At my medical school, many of the people I initially had negative impressions of eventually turned out to be nice, decent individuals. I think people in medical school are generally arrogant, insecure, and narcissistic, but generally very nice. :)

bigfrank said:
At my medical school, many of the people I initially had negative impressions of eventually turned out to be nice, decent individuals. I think people in medical school are generally arrogant, insecure, and narcissistic, but generally very nice. :)

Heh... well it's weird. For me things got a lot harder this past month. Not sure why. I think i'm going through a phase of unhappiness. And yes TOLERANCE is key. Man, I'm like night and day from where I was on 1/4/2005 in that previous post... hopefully just a bad phase.

Pickle Salt said:
of my class of 200:

~10: trustworthy, honest, cool, fun-loving friends who i'll probably have my whole life

~25: chill, out-going people who i like to go out with once and awhile and with whom i do NOT talk about med school because they're intelligent enough to realize that the world does not revolve around themselves or the school they attend

the rest: arrogant, anal pricks who need to get the large pinecones out of their asses

I totally agree with this! My class is so weird!!

I have the best medical school class and classmates that anyone could ask for. They really are a great group as well as cool individuals.

Isn't it normal to have people you like and dislike wherever you go. The people you feel are arrogant and A$$holes are probably thinking the same about u, but more than likely u have never spoken. There are always 2 sides to a story, so never judge a person u know from someone else's experience or perspective. And also someone in the thread mentioned this. Don;t go into med school with high expectations. Good thread overall.

-Punjabi mundai pao bhangra

I like my classmates a whole lot better now that I am careful to more detached. It sounds counterintuitive, but if I stay out of the social fray, and just mind my own business and focus on work and doing the best I can, then when I do talk to a classmate I am usually pleasantly surprised about how nice it was. But, I am pretty careful about who I talk to. It's a delicate balance, and like the above poster said, people are different and someone who seems mean might be super nice next day, and that if I am thinking: s/he's a big $#%^ then there's a good chance they're thinking it about me. (I know, I know, hard to believe but not everyone will like me!) :)

I am learning acceptance, patience and tolerance and these are good lessons.

Man, this thread is really making me feel bad...and I haven't even started med school yet.

Wow...I am in the Allopathic forum! But very interesting topic..

Yes ofcourse in medical school there are people who keep to themselves, people who are out going, people who have attitude problems, who are immature and what not.....guess we gotta deal with it, like it or not...

Try being the only female, 21- going on 22 year old, being in a six year program, where all your classmates are either 17, 18 or 19....(there are three other guys who are 22-23 but they are the partying type)...

Believe me, even though numerically there is four years difference, mentally- maturity-wise...my god..i've never seen such a big difference..

I am seriously going to crack .....

Regards -