1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I like you. Do you like me?

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by Abram Hoffer, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Abram Hoffer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dear Applicant:

We have thoroughly enjoyed your visit with us, and it is clear that you will excel wherever you choose to go. You represent the kind of candidate that has traditionally done well in our program and we hope to have the opportunity to work with you in the coming year.

Yours sincerely,
    Program Director

1) How many of you have received these letters?
    2) Since I feel like I have interviewed well at various programs, but I have not really had much feedback, how do I know whether or not these programs will rank me high enough to match?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sandraf

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You don't.
    Rank according to your preference, not the feedback you received or not.
    Good luck!

4. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmmm...not sure what to make of that.
    I interviewed for IM back in 2003/2004 and I really heard nothing back from the vast majority of the programs. Hearing nothing back doesn't necessarily mean anything (bad). I did have one program that was more of a lower tier university program call me up (received voicemail from the PD) basically telling me how much they liked me and being kind of blatant about the fact they wanted me. But this is for IM, I was a fairly competitive candidate (pretty good but not great step I, pretty good grades but not stellar, from a well known medical school, good LOR's, Dean's letter says I am nice and get along well w/patients and others, etc.) and I had gone to a university in the same city as that medical center (i.e. was kind of from the area or at least had lived there). I think if someone calls you that's probably more than what they are doing for/to every candidate. However, I'm not sure that I'd let a generic-type email and/or letter like that influence me. I mean, the phone call I got really didn't influence me...I still ranked the place that phoned me but not highly, since I wanted to go to other places more. If I had been sitting on the fence about ranking it #1 vs. #2 that might have influenced me, but otherwise it wouldn't.

Agree with above. Just rank the places according to where you most want to go, but do let your top few picks know that they are going to be ranked very highly, else they might think you are uninterested.

5. Abram Hoffer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That was more of what I was looking for. What really shows this? You're thank you card/email, etc? Thank you for the opportunity to interview and learn more... I will be ranking your program among my top choices... or I am ranking your program numero uno? Would you all who have done this before provide more specific insight into telling your love that you are committed forever to them (without, of course, looking like a total dweeb)?

6. marcello

marcello New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so when letting those few top programs know you will rank them highly...what phrasing do you use? do programs understand when an applicant says anything except that "you will be ranked #1" that other statements are meaningless?

7. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    <do programs understand when an applicant says anything except that "you will be ranked #1" that other statements are meaningless?>

I wouldn't say meaningless exactly, but saying that you will rank them 1 is definitely going to make more of an impact.

I don't think a "thank you for the interview" email or card is going to do ANYTHING. You need to write them closer to the time when they rank people and tell them they are #1 (or high on your list if it's not your #1 program).

Ideally you should have one of your LOR writers or your medical school dean of students or someone like that contact your #1 program (email or call, etc.) and tell them you really want to go there, etc. For IM this isn't necessarily something that has to be done if you are a strong applicant b/c they'll rank you anyway. If you're on the cusp or they aren't sure if you are interested, it could potentially be helpful.

Also, if any of your LOR writers did med school/residency/fellowship @any of the places you want to go to, it could be helpful to get them to call somebody there if you want to get ranked highly. Pulling strings is always helpful no matter what the business/profession, etc. It's just part of life.

8. WestcoastMedicine

WestcoastMedicine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I have just finished interviewing and glad to be finished. However, now I have the task of figuring out where to go. I have my top two for sure and was also curious about what the OP wrote. In addition, I have had several programs tell me at the end of the interview that "We highly encourage you to come back for a second look.". them making that statement.

I was interviewed by the PD at the one program and was going to email him to tell him his program is my number #1. Would it be odd to also say in the email that I want to come for a second look. I feel that is shows your really interested in them, yet not completely decided. Any input would be great, also should you call them versus email to tell them they are your number one?

Do you say Dear Dr...... I like your program because..... it will help me acheive my goals because.... therefore you are my number one? Sounds somewhat frank, but I think they appreciate the candor. Then again, maybe they wont even believe you really mean it. Any input would be appreciated.

9. waldenwoods

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have had advice from a faculty member that if there is a clear #1, you may want to contact the PD when programs are making their rank lists. Which is what dragonfly said.

If you already know where the program is going to rank on your list, what do you think you'd get out of a second look? There's no harm in going back for a second look and then writing to them that this program is your #1. They don't know that you're done interviewing now (or maybe you told them when you'd be done interviewing?), so they won't be expecting to hear from you right now that you have evaluated all of your options and this program is #1. The programs you visited are probably not yet done interviewing all the people they're considering.

10. waldenwoods

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've received two (but who knows how many faculty members would send something like this out in the first place, so the number does not matter), one from a PD and the other was from a faculty member who interviewed me. Both were not as generic; they mentioned something I wrote about on my application that was an interest of mine. They definitely make that extra positive impression :)

I don't know the answer to #2, but I don't think it matters because all you can do to influence where you end up is rank programs in order of preference, and then it is up to the Match algorithm to determine your future.