I looked like a little b!toch... Sooo embarrassed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was assisting with a LP, yes L f*ing P and passed out.:confused: I was so dam hot with the mask and gown on and fainted. It wasnt the procedure of course but it sure looked like it. I look like a newbie..:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

So who's the idiot that let a pre-med wield a needle destined for a patient's spine?

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost passed out on my first LP when the pt said his leg felt numb...haha. (he was okay..)

I was assisting with a LP, yes L f*ing P and passed out.:confused: I was so dam hot with the mask and gown on and fainted. It wasnt the procedure of course but it sure looked like it. I look like a newbie..:oops:

Relax, it happens to the best of us. I assume the mask and the gown were for your protection against suspected meningitis (?). LP's generally don't require mask/gown, so you are probably going to be alright next time.
On a related note, if you are in the OR and know that you will go down, make sure you sit down, or move against a wall so you slide down (nothing worse than getting a fracture after falling down). Also, try to fall away from anything draped in blue (sterile), or the OR nurses will rip you a new one, and the surgeon may too.

Agreed. It happens to all of us. I have shadowed so dang much its ridiculous; I've see a level 2 spine (about a 4x4 opening about 3 inches deep), took about 6 hours, and it didn't bother me at all, open heart surgery which didn't bother me either, and c-sections which also don't phase me. But once, I was watching a live birth (after all of the other stuff that I mentioned) and all was good for the first 1.5 hours. Then, under the heat of the lamps and I guess locking my knees, I felt rather lightheaded. I said to the Dr and nurse that I was going to step out for a sec, and right before I got to the door, I passed out. Luckily I leaned to my left against the wall and sort of woke up. One of the nurses grabbed me under my right arm and helped me out of the room and into the hallway where I sat for about 10 minutes. It was about 3 pm and I had not eaten anything all day. That coupled with little sleep made for a bad combination. I felt like a wuss, but everyone told me that it happens to everyone at least once. Even the Dr came out and told me it happened to him while he was in med school.

No sweat, it happens to all of us. I know it makes you feel stupid, but just remember to always get plenty of sleep and eat something when you are about to go shadow. This will also be a good thing to remember when you are a practicing physician, as I'm sure it could happen under certain circumstances as well.

Passing out is pretty common. When we learned venipuncture last week, we were told beforehand that a couple people pass out every year (personally, I think it's more from the pain of letting an inexperienced med student dig around in your arm rather than from the sight of blood...). They also said that every year they have a few students pass out on their surgery rotations.

In undergrad, we had to ask one girl in my clinical research program to begin carrying a chair with her into patient rooms if she was going to observe a procedure after she went down two or three times.

I was really embarrassed a few years back when I shadowed a pediatric oncologist. I was in pain from a medical condition and started feeling nauseous and light-headed but was attempting to suck it up and not cause a scene. In the middle of discussing a really sensitive and intense case, I figured out that it was going to be a matter of seconds before I threw up or passed out. I tapped the nurse next to me to ask her where the bathroom was. She took one sideways glance and realized I had become pale and clammy. She shoved me into a chair and forced my head between my legs as she started yelling at the doctors to go get me orange juice and cool rags. The rest of the day, the doctors each kept pulling me aside to ask if the case had been too much for me or if I had locked my knees. Super embarrassing for a pre-med, but oh well, it makes for an amusing memory.

Relax, it happens to the best of us. I assume the mask and the gown were for your protection against suspected meningitis (?). LP's generally don't require mask/gown, so you are probably going to be alright next time.
On a related note, if you are in the OR and know that you will go down, make sure you sit down, or move against a wall so you slide down (nothing worse than getting a fracture after falling down). Also, try to fall away from anything draped in blue (sterile), or the OR nurses will rip you a new one, and the surgeon may too.

I know two people that ended up with skull fractures and bad TBIs from falls. Falling down is bad news.

So who's the idiot that let a pre-med wield a needle destined for a patient's spine?
No no no... I didnt put the dang needle in.duh. It was an attending, resident,nurse and me. I had to help keep her in a fetal position (pt. had dementia) I said "I have to step out for a minute and when I turned I fainted and BUMPED my head on the ground. I had to get CT and turns out I got a concussion. I was the only guy in the room and fainted.WTH:confused: I love surgeries so it wasnt a simple LP. It was because I didnt eat and I believe that mask and gown made it worse( pt was contact precaution) But man I am sooo embarrassed to go back to work now.

Eh, I about went down during a bone marrow biopsy. Really bizarre 'cause nothing grosses me out.

Don't feel bad, though. There was a girl in my class who passed out while watching a video of a LP. Not even in real life, but an older kinda grainy video from the internets of an LP.

Passing out is pretty common. When we learned venipuncture last week, we were told beforehand that a couple people pass out every year (personally, I think it's more from the pain of letting an inexperienced med student dig around in your arm rather than from the sight of blood...). They also said that every year they have a few students pass out on their surgery rotations.

Ugh, darn. I get really lightheaded when I see my own blood/get stuck with a needle but am completely fine when I see others. Are there lots of incidents where procedures are practiced on you as a med student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you should watch youtube surgeries with the lights off and eat food at the same time so you can get use to it. That, or you can start visiting sites that specialize in gore picture/videos. ;) I've seen some procedures done that involved blood and chunks, but it never bothered me. I guess being a veteran of gore sites is starting to pay off. :D

I've seen a lot of surgeries, and usually I'm not at all grossed out, but I tell you one thing, a knee replacement I watched just about did me in. I was perfectly fine until the drill came out and chunks of watery bone started gushing out.

Also, this is where being in a wheelchair comes in handy. I always bring my own chair :thumbup:

You're all *******, I have never passed out EVER

I almost passed out once... when we were prepping one of my patients for surgery, there was no resident with us so the surgeon had me hold the head frame while he screwed it into her skull. The poor thing was awake, the mom was there, and we were in a really tiny, really hot room. I don't know HOW I held on, but I definitely went outside and sat for a few minutes after.

Since then, I've been golden through brain surgeries, heart surgeries, vascular surgeries (possibly the grossest thing I've ever seen), bone marrow extractions, C-sections and live births. It comes with time, and don't be embarrassed!

Famous last words. ;)

Hahaha totally.

I passed out last year during a prostate cancer seed implant. I'd seen and assisted (in Honduras) on so many surgeries and then to pass out during something so minor was sooooo embarrassing at the time but seriously, it can happen to anyone.

Maybe you should watch youtube surgeries with the lights off and eat food at the same time so you can get use to it. That, or you can start visiting sites that specialize in gore picture/videos. ;) I've seen some procedures done that involved blood and chunks, but it never bothered me. I guess being a veteran of gore sites is starting to pay off. :D
But I seen TONS of surgeries and stood for hours. The LP was simple, clean and no blood. I wasnt even looking at it because I my head started to spin and I was concentrating on that trying to shake it off. Would having the mask on cause this as well? Because with every breath I took I felt WORSE and WORSE. I started to just rip it off but the patient was neurtropetic precaution. (spelling?)

awesome.jpg

i volunteer in the ED and one night after a WICKED almost all over sunburn and eating nothing but powerade all day (it was prob 9 or 930pm) i had one of these awesome experiences :) any smart person would have skipped and stayed home but i'd hauled tail to get back for it (hence no time to fix the food sitch) so i was being dumb. i had to go sit down in the break room a couple of times and one of the nurses started talking to me and asked if i might like to see a procedure sometime, so of course i was like YES. she meant that night. just standing there while some doctor was beginning some cut cleaning/suturing/i can't remember, i said i had to step out and they looked at me and were like yeah you better.

i was so annoyed bc that would have been a great person to have as a contact to see extra stuff in the ER but i doubt she believed me saying that it was not a normal thing (i was good and kept sunblock on my face. not so much anywhere else :)). ironic thing is if i hadn't had to go sit down for 10min bc i thought i was going to pass out i wouldn't have been around for the initial conversation.

OP, it happens to the best of us. I had to step out during one of the first surgeries I saw (and ended up lying in the nurses lounge for half an hour trying to feel better), and every doctor had a story for me about the time they or their classmate passed out during some procedure. Keep your chin up!

Yeah it happens to the best of us. I mean really it does.

I've seen many surgeries that didn't bother me at all, but for whatever reason, a fractured patella just got me good. Had to de-gown and step of the OR :laugh:. I caught some flack from the nurses but it's all good

OP, it happens to the best of us. I had to step out during one of the first surgeries I saw (and ended up lying in the nurses lounge for half an hour trying to feel better), and every doctor had a story for me about the time they or their classmate passed out during some procedure. Keep your chin up!
Thanks guys:oops: I got a head ache now and wont be going to school today. Guess I can do some homework or :sleep:........

But I seen TONS of surgeries and stood for hours. The LP was simple, clean and no blood. I wasnt even looking at it because I my head started to spin and I was concentrating on that trying to shake it off. Would having the mask on cause this as well? Because with every breath I took I felt WORSE and WORSE. I started to just rip it off but the patient was neurtropetic precaution. (spelling?)
Go put a black trashbag on and stand under the sun. And then, breathe some stale air.

Next time don't lock your legs (if standing) and don't be afraid to leave the room (before you think you should leave the room).

It was because I didnt eat and I believe that mask and gown made it worse
Hypoglycemia can be a killer in the hospital. The only two times I ever felt faint/weak or had to turn away at the sight of blood have been while shadowing in a hospital, and both times I hadn't eaten.

Yeah it happens to the best of us. I mean really it does.

I've seen many surgeries that didn't bother me at all, but for whatever reason, a fractured patella just got me good. Had to de-gown and step of the OR :laugh:. I caught some flack from the nurses but it's all good
Dont get me started with that. It was done in a room with video cameras so doctors can watch our epilepsy patients when they have an episode. Anyyywhoo we went back and watched when I fell an the RN that was tried to catch me but ended up with my gown sleeve had a f*ing field day. I mean :laugh: and a little of :smuggrin: while I was all :oops:. I looked like a rag doll on camera and I bet their at work watching it now laughing! There is nothing more wierd than watching your own body go lifeless and drop.

Go put a black trashbag on and stand under the sun. And then, breathe some stale air.

Next time don't lock your legs (if standing) and don't be afraid to leave the room (before you think you should leave the room).
:thumbup::thumbup: I know now buddy. I locked my legs for about 30min and then tried to move them around but guess it was too late. And yeah I was afraid to leave the room cause I didnt want to look like a wuss. I was trying to think of something to say then muffled " I have to go to the bathroom":confused:
I just wanted to get out.

These stories are great. In my parasitology class, we were watching a youtube video about the human bot fly and saw an extraction of a fly larva from someones head. It was sort of gross, but not too graphic (just a slug pulled out with tweezers). All of a sudden we hear a THUD in the back of the room. Turned out a student fainted! Quite embarrassing in a class of 200...

These stories are great. In my parasitology class, we were watching a youtube video about the human bot fly and saw an extraction of a fly larva from someones head. It was sort of gross, but not too graphic (just a slug pulled out with tweezers). All of a sudden we hear a THUD in the back of the room. Turned out a student fainted! Quite embarrassing in a class of 200...
Wow that makes me feel better. It was only about 10 people in my situation but 200?? I would probably drop that class lol

:thumbup::thumbup: I know now buddy. I locked my legs for about 30min and then tried to move them around but guess it was too late. And yeah I was afraid to leave the room cause I didnt want to look like a wuss. I was trying to think of something to say then muffled " I have to go to the bathroom":confused:
I just wanted to get out.

Enormous mistake made by medical students as well. The resident/doc would much rather have you step out of scrub than fall into his or her surgical field.

Dont get me started with that. It was done in a room with video cameras so doctors can watch our epilepsy patients when they have an episode. Anyyywhoo we went back and watched when I fell an the RN that was tried to catch me but ended up with my gown sleeve had a f*ing field day. I mean :laugh: and a little of :smuggrin: while I was all :oops:. I looked like a rag doll on camera and I bet their at work watching it now laughing! There is nothing more wierd than watching your own body go lifeless and drop.

HAHAHA that's great. At least she made an attempt at catching you :laugh:

Oh well, when you're a surgeon you can let little undergrads shadow you for the entertainment value too. We'll all have our chance :smuggrin:

I have seen a resident, who was supposedly a MD in another country for many years, pass out while watching a LP. It was hilarious. Don't feel to bad about doing it at this stage. Better now than later.

HAHAHA that's great. At least she made an attempt at catching you :laugh:

Oh well, when you're a surgeon you can let little undergrads shadow you for the entertainment value too. We'll all have our chance :smuggrin:
:thumbup: Its funny too cause I mean I kept telling myself right after the fall " well it happens to us all", and thats what everyone on here is saying lol. Hell im the youngest, healthiest, most fit and stongest person on my floor and got F*ING ROASTED (I mean the staff was crying and just having a jolly oh laugh) by 50 year old women. It was a humbling experience but I know I will be telling it to a student one day in the future.:)

I have seen a resident, who was supposedly a MD in another country for many years, pass out while watching a LP. It was hilarious. Don't feel to bad about doing it at this stage. Better now than later.
Yeah! But honestly I hope Ill be ok cause my head is killing me now. Thats the reason Im on SDN so much cause all Im doing is sleeping and on the net. The doctor told me to come back in if I feel the need too but I hope nothing serious comes from this (seriously)

Ugh, darn. I get really lightheaded when I see my own blood/get stuck with a needle but am completely fine when I see others. Are there lots of incidents where procedures are practiced on you as a med student?

I think it depends on the med school. We use standardized patients for almost everything (including taking histories, learning pulses, and all of the physical exams). The only things we have done on each other so far are venipuncture (which we only needed to do once... and a few people got out of it if they had lousy veins... I'm sure they'd let someone out of it if they were worried about fainting too) and taking blood pressures. At my school, everything is really up to you. I HATE needles and often get light-headed when I get my blood drawn, but for some reason or another, you suck it up to help your friends learn. I've actually volunteered to have my blood drawn twice more (once for extra credit blood work and once to help out a friend who won't have his training done prior to the extra credit blood draw) since the training.

No worries OP. Like (almost) everyone here has said, it happens to everyone. I worked in an ER where I saw plenty of open fractures and arterial bleeds and I also shadowed in the OR. After all that, the thing that almost did me in was watching a vasectomy.

No worries OP. Like (almost) everyone here has said, it happens to everyone. I worked in an ER where I saw plenty of open fractures and arterial bleeds and I also shadowed in the OR. After all that, the thing that almost did me in was watching a vasectomy.

For us males, vasectomies are so much more than physical procedures. :D

For us males, vasectomies are so much more than physical procedures. :D

Haha, exactly. I just couldn't shake the thought/imagined horror of my berries getting snipped minus the anesthetic used in the procedure. ***UGH***

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The only other time I've felt light-headed during a procedure was when my dad was getting a mass removed from his chest. He was awake, and it just makes it that much weirder when it's someone you know.

I know the feeling...I almost passed out shadowing a routine T & A surgery once cause it was so hot! Luckily it wasn't my first surgery with the doc, so he knew it wasn't from watching. He said it was probably because the room has to be kept at a higher temp when they work on children, and because I was so used to it being a lot colder...

I know the feeling...I almost passed out shadowing a routine T & A surgery once cause it was so hot! Luckily it wasn't my first surgery with the doc, so he knew it wasn't from watching. He said it was probably because the room has to be kept at a higher temp when they work on children, and because I was so used to it being a lot colder...
Wow. Well thanks to all you guys who responded I fell better especially after reading the story of the person in the class room:D I just hope it NEVER happens again.

Dude its ok...
first day I was shadowing a doc (might have been the first patient too) he was tending to a skin graft that wasn't healing quite right (sounds fancy but he was really just picking a scab..gross but nothing spectacular). At that point I've seen over a dozen surgeries, many of them trauma and never felt sick or even close to it. Well like 2 minutes into this, edges of my vision became dark and I saw stars. I sat down but the nurse saw me and figured it was the perfect time to administer the smelling salts. Thaaaaat only added insult to my poor injured surgeon-wannabe ego.
However, that event didn't prevent the doc from invitin me to join him in surgery so many times ive now lost count.
whether it was the mask or a fluke thing...it happens. noone cares, just head for a wall next time :)

Dude its ok...
first day I was shadowing a doc (might have been the first patient too) he was tending to a skin graft that wasn't healing quite right (sounds fancy but he was really just picking a scab..gross but nothing spectacular). At that point I've seen over a dozen surgeries, many of them trauma and never felt sick or even close to it. Well like 2 minutes into this, edges of my vision became dark and I saw stars. I sat down but the nurse saw me and figured it was the perfect time to administer the smelling salts. Thaaaaat only added insult to my poor injured surgeon-wannabe ego.
However, that event didn't prevent the doc from invitin me to join him in surgery so many times ive now lost count.
whether it was the mask or a fluke thing...it happens. noone cares, just head for a wall next time :)
You know? I think under the right conditions the mask can make you hyperventilate. Yeah and that salt would make it that much worse like you was just totally out of it. Thanks for the story I go back to work today and I think Im ready for the jokes.:oops:

My first day shadowing in the OR, the head surgeon let me come right up and watch as he explained a bypass. The smell got to my mask and when I asked to step out, I ended up fainting just before getting out of the room. Thankfully a nurse came up at that moment and caught me but I caused a bit of a scene.

Twas' embarrassing but I went back and made sure to eat really well before going. No one mentioned it again after the first day, I guess you just learn from it. :)

My first day shadowing in the OR, the head surgeon let me come right up and watch as he explained a bypass. The smell got to my mask and when I asked to step out, I ended up fainting just before getting out of the room. Thankfully a nurse came up at that moment and caught me but I caused a bit of a scene.

Twas' embarrassing but I went back and made sure to eat really well before going. No one mentioned it again after the first day, I guess you just learn from it. :)
:laugh: yeah you do learn from it I know I did. When I returned to work, I got the "how many fingers am I holding up?" joke on EVERY ward.(Even some patients kinda joked on me who heard what happened) Oh well my ego is a little wounded but hey it happens to the best.:)

Amen.

The only time that I've even felt a little nauseated was with dealing with gun shot wound to the sm intestine. The smell was awful.