I love biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonGiambi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I started school I really disliked the intro chem classes ( Gen Chem and Analytical Chem ) and I hated physics ( I mean I really hated physics ) but I totally enjoyed the bio classes ( Genetics, Intro Bios and A&P) but then I found O-Chem which I adored and Biochem which was even better. Now I am looking forward to taking the three upper level biochem classes for my major this upcoming year. I am going to take Metabolism, Enzyme Kenestics and Cell Processes. I would love to start a discussion with people who have found themselves being total science geeks and are thinking about changing from medicine to a phd program. I actually think I now like the chemistry classes more than the bio/phys classes and sometimes wonder if I wouldnt be happier going into science rather than medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

You could always be a masochist and do both.

JasonGiambi said:
When I started school I really disliked the intro chem classes ( Gen Chem and Analytical Chem ) and I hated physics ( I mean I really hated physics ) but I totally enjoyed the bio classes ( Genetics, Intro Bios and A&P) but then I found O-Chem which I adored and Biochem which was even better. Now I am looking forward to taking the three upper level biochem classes for my major this upcoming year. I am going to take Metabolism, Enzyme Kenestics and Cell Processes. I would love to start a discussion with people who have found themselves being total science geeks and are thinking about changing from medicine to a phd program. I actually think I now like the chemistry classes more than the bio/phys classes and sometimes wonder if I wouldnt be happier going into science rather than medicine.

Heh, do you mean Enzyme Kinetics? ;) Anyway, I've always been pushing towards medicine, but I do enjoy the actual basic science/research aspect, so doing my PhD too :D . Currently enjoying the calm before studying for my qualifying exam :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also love biochemistry. I took it simultaneously with organic chemistry and although I attended a public university the professor was a fellow at Harvard with great insight. His lecture slides were only pictures but he made students think about protein structure/folding, DNA, etc. instead of having them simply memorize facts. I enjoyed it so much I chose to do biochem research as an undergrad. and am still loving it. If you do this make sure your PI assigns you your own project otherwise you may grow tired quickly. The best part is that the methods are also interesting as well as the analysis (this is not the case in molecular biology in general). Consider MD/PhD.

JasonGiambi said:

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmm