I love both veterinary and human medicine, but I don't know how to do both

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smartiswhatiaimfor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who became a physicians assistant and a veterinary technician so he or she could practice both types of medicine? I wish I could just get my DVM and MD , but that would be way too much for one person.

Members don't see this ad.

People have done MD and DVM.

Why draw the line between Homo sapiens and other species? Medicine is medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why you couldn't work in a tech/assistant capacity in both fields. You wouldn't be technically practicing medicine, but you could be involved with both types of patients.

I've only ever personally known one person who went for both an MD and a DVM. He was educated in the 70's/80's and he essentially retired his veterinary degree in favor of his medical degree. I've seen an occasional MD/DVM listed on CDC reports too.

Unless you have a super specific career path in mind in which having a DVM and an MD are essential to the job, it's not a very practical goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Look in to learning more about One Health. It's an interdisciplinary approach to solving health problems between animals, people and the environment. Maybe you'd have to pick a side on what flavor of medicine you practice but you could have an impact beyond the species of your choosing.

Reactions: 2 users
Doing MD and DVM is probably the stupidest thing in the world to do unless you have gobs and gobs of money. Period.

But you can become the forever student. And since you're always in school you will never have to pay on your loans just keep them in deferment. I mean why stop at DVM? Go for the MD, then might as well do DDS, PharmD, DO, PhD, JD, etc. Just get ALL the letters.

Reactions: 8 users
I know this sounds crazy, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anyone who became a physicians assistant and a veterinary technician so he or she could practice both types of medicine? I wish I could just get my DVM and MD , but that would be way too much for one person.

First, you don't usually become a PA or vet tech so that you can practice both types of medicine. It isn't the first step in earning a DVM or MD.

Second, yes, I've known a few double degreed but they've both "picked" one or the other to practice.

Vet tech and some version of RN seems to be fairly common actually. I've known multiple of these at every job I've worked at.

Just go MD and hug shelter puppies and kittens on weekends. Problem solved.

Or licensed vet tech and EMT. Met a few of those as well.

You can't "practice medicine" as a vet tech. If you want to practice vet med, you have to get a DVM.

Heck, even getting a PA is pushing it as far as "practicing medicine".

Honestly, you can do whatever you wish. If you want to go for both a DVM and MD, you can shoot for it. However, it isn't very practical to get two degrees that will cost you over $150K each. Also, you will most likely have to choose one or the other to practice in once you have both degrees. And most likely you will have to practice as an MD in order to just pay back student loans.

You really can attempt to get as many degrees as you wish, it just isn't really practical.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've met one RN/CVT and she ultimately couldn't handle both jobs and honestly wasn't great at the CVT part. She's now in vet school.

I went to a symposium the other day and it was a dentist talking who did work with the zoo (under a DVM's supervision of course). Something that I'm sure isn't common, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I don't see why you couldn't work in a tech/assistant capacity in both fields. You wouldn't be technically practicing medicine, but you could be involved with both types of patients.

Say what? I certainly consider my technicians to be "practicing medicine".

Vet tech and some version of RN seems to be fairly common actually. I've known multiple of these at every job I've worked at.

Yeah. Now that you mention it, I've sen a number of them, too, and in both directions (people that started out RN or EMT or some such type of non-MD job and then moved to vet med as techs, or people that worked as vet techs that moved to the human side).

OP, what do you like about human and veterinary medicine? Could you see yourself being happy in just one of them?

Why not shadow in both areas and see which side you really prefer? If you love both equally, it makes the best financial sense to go the MD/DO route and help animals on the side when you can.

This.

Have you shadowed at both yet? They can be pretty different, and I think it's essential you make sure you're familiar with both. It's also pretty different what you'll be doing as an RN/vet tech, versus a DVM/MD, and I get the feeling from your initial post that you aren't totally familiar with the limitations of each role. Shadowing and talking to people in each field will be your best bet at realizing what you'd be responsible for in each position, and you should definitely do that before you commit to pursuing any program.

While I have known a few people who have done both the RN/vet tech route, it's not because they wanted to practice both - it's usually that they enjoyed one better, or got tired of one. For example, one of the techs that I worked with last year told me that she had hit a ceiling with what she could advance in as a vet tech and was interested in a career change. She no longer wanted to become a DVM after spending so much time working at the vet school, and she ended up deciding that she wanted to become a RN and applied and has been accepted to start this coming fall.

Say what? I certainly consider my technicians to be "practicing medicine".

Hmm. I guess I have actually given much thought to what constitutes "practicing medicine," but if I had to give a definition, I'd say diagnosing is a part. Where I work, I would definitely say the doctors are the only ones practicing medicine. Us techs and assistants can administer the prescribed medications, do blood draws, etc. but we're more care-giving type people. I would be really uncomfortable saying any of us are practicing. But maybe that's just me - maybe they feel differently. It's interesting to think about.

I have known some vet techs who became nurses or EMTs. I also knew one man who had his MD and then went to vet school, but he never actually practiced veterinary medicine.

Hmm. I guess I have actually given much thought to what constitutes "practicing medicine," but if I had to give a definition, I'd say diagnosing is a part. Where I work, I would definitely say the doctors are the only ones practicing medicine. Us techs and assistants can administer the prescribed medications, do blood draws, etc. but we're more care-giving type people. I would be really uncomfortable saying any of us are practicing. But maybe that's just me - maybe they feel differently. It's interesting to think about.

LIS' sarcasm went right over your head.

It's ok, you'll get used to it, eventually...

I think he was being sarcastic. Maybe I am wrong. I could be wrong. Now I am confused... :oops:

No, I think it must be sarcasm.

Although, when I replied, I was worried I'd been offensive or something. Is it possible to offend LIS?

I went to a symposium the other day and it was a dentist talking who did work with the zoo (under a DVM's supervision of course). Something that I'm sure isn't common, but it was interesting nonetheless.
It's probably not common as far as the number of doctors that get to do it, but I've heard of a lot of zoos bringing in a human doc of some kind for really specialized cases

Speaking of the EMT/RN to vet tech or vice versa.

I have to say that I have yet to see an EMT/RN to a vet tech, though I am sure it has happened.

However, I have now seen 3 vet techs that I used to work with switch over and head to nursing school and obtain their RN.

This might be only my experience, but I don't see how one could be a vet tech in addition to, say, a physician's assistant. In my various veterinary jobs, all techs were on call 24/7 (rotating days, though) and had unpredictable work hours. Just because you're scheduled until 2PM doesn't mean that's when you're leaving. So with that being what could very well be what working as a part time tech looks like, how could you have another demanding job? Maybe you found a clinic that was Monday-Wednesday, and you did PA/RN things Thursday and Friday. But based off the fact that both sides are equally demanding, heavy work, I don't see how you could do both. Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit, or maybe the work I've experienced on the veterinary side is not typical.

This might be only my experience, but I don't see how one could be a vet tech in addition to, say, a physician's assistant. In my various veterinary jobs, all techs were on call 24/7 (rotating days, though) and had unpredictable work hours. Just because you're scheduled until 2PM doesn't mean that's when you're leaving. So with that being what could very well be what working as a part time tech looks like, how could you have another demanding job? Maybe you found a clinic that was Monday-Wednesday, and you did PA/RN things Thursday and Friday. But based off the fact that both sides are equally demanding, heavy work, I don't see how you could do both. Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit, or maybe the work I've experienced on the veterinary side is not typical.

I have never been "on call" in my 7 years as a vet tech. Sure just because I was scheduled to get off at 5PM or 7PM didn't mean that I always would, but that varied quite a bit. We didn't have an "on-call" schedule. Basically you got your work schedule and those were the days that you worked. Occasionally if someone was sick or they were really slammed you might get called and asked if you can come in, but you were never required to. Nor was there a set person waiting for a call should it get busy.

But every clinic is different.

My experience was similar to DVMD's, we were all full time but we had set days that we worked and then one tech and one kennel person had weekend kennel duty to take care of the boarding animals when the clinic was closed. Some of the techs had second jobs, though not as demanding as another medical job would be. But like I said, we were all full time, so there wouldn't have been time for that.

No, I think it must be sarcasm.

Although, when I replied, I was worried I'd been offensive or something. Is it possible to offend LIS?

lol. Yes, of course it is. But not in this case.

(No, I really meant I consider technicians to be practicing medicine. Not from a legal perspective, of course. But just because there limits on the activities they can carry out doesn't to me mean they aren't practicing medicine. They just have a different role in the application of it. That said, that's just how I think about it. People who want to get all fussy about legal distinctions or whatever aren't wrong.)

I have never been "on call" in my 7 years as a vet tech. Sure just because I was scheduled to get off at 5PM or 7PM didn't mean that I always would, but that varied quite a bit. We didn't have an "on-call" schedule. Basically you got your work schedule and those were the days that you worked. Occasionally if someone was sick or they were really slammed you might get called and asked if you can come in, but you were never required to. Nor was there a set person waiting for a call should it get busy.

Pretty sure we have an on-call technician. I think. Seems to me one of my techs mentioned it ... at 2am I drop down to just one tech, so if I have to go into surgery or something I'm pretty sure we have an on-call tech who can come in and help out with whatever else is going on. But at our busier metro locations I don't think we have on-call techs because they're staffed more deeply all night.

What I really wish we had was an on-call doctor.

lol. Yes, of course it is. But not in this case.

(No, I really meant I consider technicians to be practicing medicine. Not from a legal perspective, of course. But just because there limits on the activities they can carry out doesn't to me mean they aren't practicing medicine. They just have a different role in the application of it. That said, that's just how I think about it. People who want to get all fussy about legal distinctions or whatever aren't wrong.)

I wasn't even thinking in "legal definitions". I just don't consider a technician placing an IV catheter and starting fluids or giving a medication "practicing medicine". Much as I don't consider RN's to practice medicine. But I do also see where you are coming from in that definition, I just think of "practicing medicine" as the diagnostics and formulating the treatment plan and not so much as giving the treatments. Just different perspective. I never felt like I was "practicing medicine" as a tech either.

We need a new full-time doctor starting this fall....... might want to bump up your graduation date.

Can you convince them to let me graduate early and to work without passing the NAVLE yet? Or maybe you can convince them to let me take the NAVLE soon so that I can actually be licensed.

I mean, you have all these powers right? Old men have super powers, right?

That's very location dependent - some places never have any on-call work and there are lots of after-hours clinics nearby to cover those late/weekend calls. Other clinics have to be available 24/7 because there aren't any emergency/after hours clinics, and sometimes no other clinics to share call with.

On the other hand, some clinics that operate 24/7 have staff shifts organized so that there is rarely any overtime because you just pass on the cases to the next shift.

A part time tech at my hospital could easily work part time as a nurse elsewhere. Heck, if I had an RN, I could work full time as a vet and part time as a nurse and still have 2 days off a week. Like, I could do mon-wed 12 hr shifts as a vet. And have 4 days between thurs-sun to have a part time position elsewhere.

That's very location dependent - some places never have any on-call work and there are lots of after-hours clinics nearby to cover those late/weekend calls. Other clinics have to be available 24/7 because there aren't any emergency/after hours clinics, and sometimes no other clinics to share call with.

On the other hand, some clinics that operate 24/7 have staff shifts organized so that there is rarely any overtime because you just pass on the cases to the next shift.
Where my work is, the nearest emergency 24 hour clinic is 20-30ish minutes away, which isn't too bad. We accept emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and have a dedicated emergency phone the doctor has on her all the time. We (receptionists, assistants, and techs) each picked up a day of the week to be on call overnight. With having 6 months in at this place, I've never been called in, but the doctor gets calls regularly. The doctor usually handles the emergencies on her own if she can or determines if it can wait until the morning. There's only 10 of us, including the doctor and manager. We are pretty much all there 5-7 days a week.

That's why I'm thinking it might just be my experience in that I wouldn't be comfortable getting a second job with set/inflexible hours. Two girls I work with have second jobs at a pizza place, but they are able to come and go as they please so it works. I was hoping to get a part time job at a grocery store so I could use the discount for my parents, but I can't ever guarantee my hours.

This. My clinic does 24/7 on call because the nearest emergency center is 4.5 hours away. So our techs are on call too and will get called in if the on call doctor needs a second set of hands.

Where my work is, the nearest emergency 24 hour clinic is 20-30ish minutes away, which isn't too bad. We accept emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and have a dedicated emergency phone the doctor has on her all the time. We (receptionists, assistants, and techs) each picked up a day of the week to be on call overnight. With having 6 months in at this place, I've never been called in, but the doctor gets calls regularly. The doctor usually handles the emergencies on her own if she can or determines if it can wait until the morning. There's only 10 of us, including the doctor and manager. We are pretty much all there 5-7 days a week.

That's why I'm thinking it might just be my experience in that I wouldn't be comfortable getting a second job with set/inflexible hours. Two girls I work with have second jobs at a pizza place, but they are able to come and go as they please so it works. I was hoping to get a part time job at a grocery store so I could use the discount for my parents, but I can't ever guarantee my hours.

I think that's a shame that your clinic is doing on call when there's an emergency clinic so far away -- not good for the vets, staff, or the patients. But it's not my business, so it's not my decision to make.

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn't even thinking in "legal definitions". I just don't consider a technician placing an IV catheter and starting fluids or giving a medication "practicing medicine". Much as I don't consider RN's to practice medicine. But I do also see where you are coming from in that definition, I just think of "practicing medicine" as the diagnostics and formulating the treatment plan and not so much as giving the treatments. Just different perspective. I never felt like I was "practicing medicine" as a tech either.

I agree. I think a good technician is worth their weight in gold and they're often able to teach me how to do things or perform a certain skill better than I can. Most are familiar with particular drugs and what they're used for. They can vaccinate animals and run tests that give me information. But what to do with that information, working on the puzzle and proceeding forward is the medicine part, as well as the in-depth client communication that goes along with all of that, is the actual practice of medicine, at least in my opinion.

I agree. I think a good technician is worth their weight in gold and they're often able to teach me how to do things or perform a certain skill better than I can. Most are familiar with particular drugs and what they're used for. They can vaccinate animals and run tests that give me information. But what to do with that information, working on the puzzle and proceeding forward is the medicine part, as well as the in-depth client communication that goes along with all of that, is the actual practice of medicine, at least in my opinion.

In most legal definitions of practicing medicine (it obviously varies state to state), treatment is included. Since my techs deliver treatment frequently.... (Not to mention functioning as anesthetists, etc), I very much consider them practicing - regardless of whether that's legally "correct". I diagnose, sure, but they implement. And that's one arm of practice.

I feel like we sometimes get kinda snobby about it. Like, "oh, they aren't DIAGNOSING so they aren't practicing." Practicing medicine encompasses a wide range of activities to me; more than just the intellectual head portion. The RN serving alone at a remote facility is practicing medicine, so I don't see why our techs aren't. It doesn't diminish our value to share the term "practice" with our support medical staff.

My perspective may be colored by the level my techs function at compared to most GP techs.

I'm not claiming to be "right". It's just semantics no matter how you cut it. But I feel like my perspective is more amenable to a team mindset.

In most legal definitions of practicing medicine (it obviously varies state to state), treatment is included. Since my techs deliver treatment frequently.... (Not to mention functioning as anesthetists, etc), I very much consider them practicing - regardless of whether that's legally "correct". I diagnose, sure, but they implement. And that's one arm of practice.

I feel like we sometimes get kinda snobby about it. Like, "oh, they aren't DIAGNOSING so they aren't practicing." Practicing medicine encompasses a wide range of activities to me; more than just the intellectual head portion. The RN serving alone at a remote facility is practicing medicine, so I don't see why our techs aren't. It doesn't diminish our value to share the term "practice" with our support medical staff.

My perspective may be colored by the level my techs function at compared to most GP techs.

I'm not claiming to be "right". It's just semantics no matter how you cut it. But I feel like my perspective is more amenable to a team mindset.

I don't mean to say you're wrong. I really hope I didn't come across as snobby or dismissive of the techs' role in any practice, or that I'm not amenable to a team mindset. It isn't as though I actively think of myself as practicing medicine and the techs just implementing my genius ideas, but when we argue semantics, I feel as though there is a distinction between the technicians and the veterinarians; that distinction doesn't and shouldn't automatically cheapen the contributions of either party.

Parents treat their children with medications too. Some even give their children with cancer chemotherapy. I still don't really consider that practicing medicine.

Not being snobby. A good tech is worth their weight in gold, but I still don't consider what they do practicing medicine. :shrug:

Parents treat their children with medications too. Some even give their children with cancer chemotherapy. I still don't really consider that practicing medicine.

Not being snobby. A good tech is worth their weight in gold, but I still don't consider what they do practicing medicine. :shrug:

Ok, but by that logic.... Parents often diagnose a problem too (rightly or wrongly, just like us), so we're not practicing medicine either.

Dunno. I certainly don't disagree with you arbitrarily defining practice however you want - since that's what I'm doing - but I think that particular logic falls flat on its face.

Ok, but by that logic.... Parents often diagnose a problem too (rightly or wrongly, just like us), so we're not practicing medicine either.

Dunno. I certainly don't disagree with you arbitrarily defining practice however you want - since that's what I'm doing - but I think that particular logic falls flat on its face.

I think your first paragraph is a bit of a stretch.

I can see where you are coming from with the treatments and how it is implementing medicine. I just don't consider it actively practicing medicine. But I agree that it could be seen as practicing depending on how you want to spin it. Maybe because I did the job of a tech for so long, I just don't consider it practicing. Clearly there can be a fine line between what different other people think of as practicing medicine.

I think your first paragraph is a bit of a stretch.

Really? C'mon. You've had those people in an exam room: "I searched on google and my dog DEFINITELY has X. And no, I won't consider any other diagnostics. I just want the test for X." [As an addendum, the only thing more frustrating than a client doing that is when the client ends up being right.]

That's diagnosing. It might be a crappy job of it, but...... People do the same thing with their kids.

All I'm saying is.... if your argument is going to be "because parents do X, it must not be practicing medicine to do X" ... then diagnosing pathology is not practicing medicine because parents do it allllll the time.

I think practicing medicine is the diagnosis and treatment of disease by a trained medical professional. I think you probably would say that it's the diagnosis and treatment of disease by a doctor. That's fine.

But in my view... CVTs, RNs, EMTs, etc... are all practicing medicine. They all have different scopes of responsibility, obviously. In your view, only MDs and DVMs are practicing medicine, and everyone else is just implementing technical tasks? Just a subtle difference.