I love bowel care.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundevil1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is. Only a couple weeks into internship and this is my favorite thing. Milk of Mag, Mag Citrate, enemas, or anything else. I guess I get some satisfaction from helping my patients win the battle of the bulge or turtle head or whatever. Maybe it's because I can see pretty quick results of my work. Am I alone in this? Anyone else develop a somewhat strange interest like this? I know this is pathetic, believe me I've been thinking about how my life all of a sudden turned into this.

Members don't see this ad.

I like helping patients' Foleys drain properly into the bag - for some reason, I hate it when the tubing is sitting on the ground, while the Foley bag is sitting on the bed, high up. I guess I worry that the patients are just feeling lots of pressure in their bladder.

Is that weird? :)

Blade28 said:
I like helping patients' Foleys drain properly into the bag - for some reason, I hate it when the tubing is sitting on the ground, while the Foley bag is sitting on the bed, high up. I guess I worry that the patients are just feeling lots of pressure in their bladder.

Is that weird? :)

I think so. But I do for some reason get a kick out of correcting someones Calcium level for the Albumin decrease. I calculate it every day...and I'm gonna be in EM and thats just wrong!

You assisted my bowels, that's for sure. I think I crapped my pants laughing. It's good to know that humor comes from residency as well.

Yes, there is some satisfaction from little things that help patients. Treat pain aggressively and don't assume patients are just whiners. Don't fear narcs - just add stool softeners and the Mag...

sundevil1 said:
I don't know what it is. Only a couple weeks into internship and this is my favorite thing. Milk of Mag, Mag Citrate, enemas, or anything else. I guess I get some satisfaction from helping my patients win the battle of the bulge or turtle head or whatever. Maybe it's because I can see pretty quick results of my work. Am I alone in this? Anyone else develop a somewhat strange interest like this? I know this is pathetic, believe me I've been thinking about how my life all of a sudden turned into this.

I had a guy who was AIR LIFTED from his home with an "acute surgical abdomen." After talking to the guy, you realize he is a chronic painer on tons of narcs and he hadn't crapped in 10 days. He was passing gas and not obstructed on KUB (big thing to rule out before giving poop looseners) so he got two bottles of mag and crapped his brains out. He described it as a "monster turd." He went home the next day... by car this time.

Obedeli said:
I had a guy who was AIR LIFTED from his home with an "acute surgical abdomen." After talking to the guy, you realize he is a chronic painer on tons of narcs and he hadn't crapped in 10 days. He was passing gas and not obstructed on KUB (big thing to rule out before giving poop looseners) so he got two bottles of mag and crapped his brains out. He described it as a "monster turd." He went home the next day... by car this time.[/QUOT]

Great story. Please tell me you included "monster turd" in your discharge summary. Let's keep them crapping.

JackBauERfan said:
I think so. But I do for some reason get a kick out of correcting someones Calcium level for the Albumin decrease. I calculate it every day...and I'm gonna be in EM and thats just wrong!
That is wrong! I should out you on the EM board for being a lyte chaser. :D

docB said:
That is wrong! I should out you on the EM board for being a lyte chaser. :D

No please don't I think there was that poll you started that said most folks don't even come here, thats the only reason I thought I was safe divulging that information here! By the way, I do go to recovery meetings every Wednesday to try and rid myself of this problem. They trick you by trying to give you slightly low potassium levels and asking what is the next step when you see this.

JackBauERfan said:
No please don't I think there was that poll you started that said most folks don't even come here, thats the only reason I thought I was safe divulging that information here! By the way, I do go to recovery meetings every Wednesday to try and rid myself of this problem. They trick you by trying to give you slightly low potassium levels and asking what is the next step when you see this.
OK, I'll buy that. But here's your test. A nurse comes to you and says, "Doctor, this patient has a K of 3.4 (ref 3.5-5.5). What should I do?" If your answer is anything other than "Call someone who gimes a damn!" then you will face EM remedial punishment and you will be sentenced to:

- one month of rounding
- a two hour discussion of how to interpret ionized Ca results
- wear a tie

so consider yourself warned.

docB said:
OK, I'll buy that. But here's your test. A nurse comes to you and says, "Doctor, this patient has a K of 3.4 (ref 3.5-5.5). What should I do?" If your answer is anything other than "Call someone who gimes a damn!" then you will face EM remedial punishment and you will be sentenced to:

- one month of rounding
- a two hour discussion of how to interpret ionized Ca results
- wear a tie

so consider yourself warned.

I don't have to wear a tie if it is sat/sun, or if i am on call/post call. In my prelim year, I am actually trying to get calls on the weekdays so that I can maximize my scrub time.