I love chemistry!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoverOfPie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chemistry rocks! Especially orgo!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was suicidal as a child as a result of the circumstances under which I grew up ... I want to include my childhood mental health because it helps explain the extent to which my upbringing (abuse, starvation, poverty, discrimination) affected me. However, I don't want to give ADCOMS any reason to doubt my ability to thrive in medical school just because my mental health was in a bad position 20+ years ago. Should I leave it in or take it out?
I suggest focusing on your circumstances, the distress it caused (use discretion), and how you overcame them. Mentioning suicide adds very little to your narrative and will potentially raise red flags, fair or not. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello SDN,

As the title says, I was suicidal as a child as a result of the circumstances under which I grew up and mentioned it briefly in my disadvantaged essay. I didn't mention it anywhere else in my application nor has it affected me as an adult to my knowledge (not depressed now and haven't been since I was a kid, never missed time from school, etc.), nor do I really want to elaborate further because that isn't who I am anymore. Also, I ended the essay on a high note and explained how my mindset has since changed.

I want to include my childhood mental health because it helps explain the extent to which my upbringing (abuse, starvation, poverty, discrimination) affected me. However, I don't want to give ADCOMS any reason to doubt my ability to thrive in medical school just because my mental health was in a bad position 20+ years ago.

Should I leave it in or take it out? Any advice at all would mean so much to me. Thanks and good luck with applications!
This is not for the disadvantaged prompt.

Adversity, maybe

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d say—under very, very, very few circumstances should someone write the world “suicidal” into their med school app. You are about to go into what will likely be one of the most stressful times of your life, which can certainly exacerbate mental illness. Talk about your adversity, yes, but I’d really stay away from mentioning that you were suicidal as a kid.

Reactions: 1 users
I would seriously discourage against it. even if you explain very well, whoever reads it will still have doubts on your stability under extreme pressure.... Medical school is very stressful for everyone, but it ca exacerbate mental illness, like @marcosma said. The adcom might put you in a "high risk" category.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.