I love interviewing

Inuranic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
    I have the good fortune to, at this point, be invited to interview at nine schools for a mixture of MD-PhD and MD-only.

I've completed a couple and I've come to realize that interviewing is one of the most amazing things I've gotten to do. I've spent years working towards these moments and crafting a solid application. All that time and effort boils down to 1 or 2 days, and talking with 1-7 people. That's it.

Am I the only one that loves that pressure? That you could theoretically blow up your interview and flush everything away?

I seriously think this is Fight Club for nerds. Anyone with me?

Kiara08

10+ Year Member
    Jun 20, 2007
    Ohio
    1. Medical Student
      idk if i LOVE the pressure, but i do enjoy being able to see different programs and interact with medical students and other pre-meds. it's also nice to be able to talk about my motivation and the things that i've done. it's great to get some rare feedback from interviewers who are impressed with my ec's and stuff. after all that hard work, it's nice for it to pay off a little bit. i don't like the mentality that my interview could blow all that hard work. i think i'll just suppress that thought at my interview tomorrow!

dcgirl2007

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      Oct 19, 2007
        well, i don't know about "love." but the people have been very nice and supportive. seem to want me to be comfortable and relaxed. and the best part is that the schools come alive during the visit. school i had read about but really knew nothing about are now real places for me.

About the Ads

NJDIF

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        May 20, 2007
        1. Medical Student
          i dont know about the pressure, but where else is it acceptable to sit down and talk about how great you are for an hour? These interviews are a great ego booster.

Inuranic

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          May 31, 2006
            i dont know about the pressure, but where else is it acceptable to sit down and talk about how great you are for an hour? These interviews are a great ego booster.

Well, I spend most of my day talking about how awesome I am, so that's not anything new. The difference lies in what happens after I'm done talking about my superiority...

Aynsl156

10+ Year Member
            Apr 1, 2007
            1. Medical Student
              I have the good fortune to, at this point, be invited to interview at nine schools for a mixture of MD-PhD and MD-only.

I've completed a couple and I've come to realize that interviewing is one of the most amazing things I've gotten to do. I've spent years working towards these moments and crafting a solid application. All that time and effort boils down to 1 or 2 days, and talking with 1-7 people. That's it.

Am I the only one that loves that pressure? That you could theoretically blow up your interview and flush everything away?

I seriously think this is Fight Club for nerds. Anyone with me?

I love interviewing as well! I honestly agree about the Fight Club comparison. It's so great to be able to meet new people and get to know new cities!

Monarch Kong

It means King Kong
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Apr 18, 2006
              Texas
              1. Medical Student
                I like the prospect of performing or coming up with a great answer under pressure. Granted I also like the whole getting to talk about myself thing, but if I nail a tough question that I hadn't prepared for before, its a greeeeeat feeling.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
                10+ Year Member
                Oct 29, 2006
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  I love the opportunity to see the schools and really understand what it'd be like to go there. After visiting a lot of the schools on my list, it really changed the way I viewed them, some in a positive way and some, not so much.

I will say, though, that interview days are a lot more draining then I thought they'd be. I'll preface this by saying that all my interviews have been in the Midwest or East Coast and I'm coming from California, so travel and time differences may have definitely been a factor, but I think it could also be a function of keeping your game face on for eight hours. While I don't think my personality or behavior changes that much during interviews, I think you filter everything you say a bit more and that, surprisingly, takes energy.

Phoenix.

Emdee Jaydee
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  Lifetime Donor
                  Verified Expert
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jun 29, 2005
                  1. Attending Physician
                    I really enjoy interviewing too, and do tend to thrive in that kind of a "test", but unlike you, I don't enjoy the fear that I could completely blow my chance at a school.

But I love your Fight Club for nerds analogy. Very funny. Now, where's Pitt?

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.