I love new professors!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking Gen. Chem. 2 right now and it's being taught by this newly minted professor. I mean the guy just got his PhD last december. So, we just took our first midterm and I got an 85% which I'm happy with. Granted it would have been great to get a 100 like some of the other people, but nevertheless I'm happy. So today, he shows the score distribution on the board and I looks like your standard bell curve. Then, he gets into how he's going to do the curve for the class. He points to 85 and says that's going to be an A, then to 65 and says, that's a B, then he points to 46 and says those are C's, at which point the entire class erupts into cheers. More reasons why I enjoy this class: He's young and new, so he's still excited to teach and has a great attitude about it. He loves doing experiments for the class, and is not scared to try some of the more crazy stunts, i.e. blowing things up. Plus, the material is gone over more slowly and not rushed slide after slide. All in all, one of the best teachers I've ever had. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking Gen. Chem. 2 right now and it's being taught by this newly minted professor. I mean the guy just got his PhD last december. So, we just took our first midterm and I got an 85% which I'm happy with. Granted it would have been great to get a 100 like some of the other people, but nevertheless I'm happy. So today, he shows the score distribution on the board and I looks like your standard bell curve. Then, he gets into how he's going to do the curve for the class. He points to 85 and says that's going to be an A, then to 65 and says, that's a B, then he points to 46 and says those are C's, at which point the entire class erupts into cheers. More reasons why I enjoy this class: He's young and new, so he's still excited to teach and has a great attitude about it. He loves doing experiments for the class, and is not scared to try some of the more crazy stunts, i.e. blowing things up. Plus, the material is gone over more slowly and not rushed slide after slide. All in all, one of the best teachers I've ever had. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Haha I love it when the curve kicks into the grade..it's a good feeling knowing you did better than your percentage score.

From what I have seen, I think new profs are actually harder because they try to make their course difficult and are hesitant to give out a lot of A's in fear of looking "soft" or easy in the eyes of the department. OR maybe I've just had some strange profs :)

Bell curves are sweet... I took one humanities class where only one person in the entire class of 30 got an A. :eek: The professor refused to curve and so I got a B. It was very disappointing, but since the class average turned out to be a C he said there was "nothing he could do."

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree on the 'new professor' idea. I had Gen Chem 2 last semester with a professor who was in his 2nd semester of teaching. Wonderful teacher. He taught what was needed but he made himself available to his students for questions or clarification. Even now, although I don't have him, he's helped me out when questions pop up...I wish the rest of my teachers made themselves more available.

Wish he would teach OChem. :rolleyes:

YAY grade inflation!!! WOO HOOO!!!

you can expect the reputation of that course to go down in the eyes of adcoms if that professor continues teaching ... he is doing all of you a disservice

you can expect the reputation of that course to go down in the eyes of adcoms if that professor continues teaching ... he is doing all of you a disservice

How would they ever know that? Even if they found out next year...what is that going to do for her. You sound miserable, either that or you are about to go into a long rant about how "tough" your ugrad institution is.

How is one course of the hundreds/thousands taught at all universities going to be affected? I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind this. Isn't it the same as a professor curving grades upward??? Granted the grading scale seems more drastic in MirrorTodd's case but I don't understand how this course will be affected in the eyes of adcoms. Maybe you were being sarcastic...

I think he/she was just being a miserable pre-med.

Nickel,
agreed. Or he/she is upset b/c (s)he received a 85 in Chem2 and got stuck with a B. :smuggrin:

Nickel,
agreed. Or he/she is upset b/c (s)he received a 85 in Chem2 and got stuck with a B. :smuggrin:

Haha, yea. But still holding onto the fact that the Adcom might just recognize "how hard" the class was at their school.

Nickel,

What are you talking about? She received a 99...she's just upset she didn't get the 100% :rolleyes: