I love PBL more than I love my own life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And please don't go blasting my research links without even trying to find your own. It makes you look bad.

WTF?

You cited a link and it was questioned by a reader. That's called argument. Argument is a good thing. It makes YOU look bad if you take a subjective argument as a personal attack. It makes YOU look bad to attack an argument with an ad hominem. It makes YOU look bad if your comfort depends on nobody questioning your opinion. It makes YOU look bad to call your first Google hit "research." The reader has no responsibility to fix your presentation. A responsible reader will contribute by calling BS on the presentation.

In other words, you're not helping your cause.

Members don't see this ad.

This was the first google result I found when I typed in PBL research...The bottom line, is that research has shown that PBL works better. I have better things to do with my time than to look up the research for you.

You make bold assertions about the effectiveness of PBL based on the first googled study you came up with. I just thought you could have made a better case for PBL. Based on your initial "search", I'm glad you have better things to do

If you really want to know if PBL works or not, then go to a scholarly search engine, and type in PBL medical school and see what comes up.

Like google?

And please don't go blasting my research links without even trying to find your own. It makes you look bad.

Listen, I've been through a modified PBL curriculum as a physical therapist at UTMB and have been teaching undergraduates for about 10 years. I've seen benefits and drawbacks of various forms of curricula. I'm not saying PBL is "bad" or "good", as those aren't appropriate words to describe it. It's simply a matter of what fits your learning style. For me PBL is awful as I prefer lecture and a book. For you it obviously takes you to a higher level of understanding. It's ok to be different and disagree, but there's no need to get your tighties in a twist over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You make bold assertions about the effectiveness of PBL based on the first googled study you came up with.

I am not making any assumptions. I have done extensive research on PBL (and yes, real research, not google). I simply provided this as a starting point because it was quick and easy.

I agree that everyone has their own preferences. The problem I am having here is that people are saying that PBL is inferior as a pedagogy and that is simply untrue. Regardless of any one person's experience, research has shown that students who learn in PBL perform better than their lecture-based counterparts. That may not have been true for you, but it has been shown to be true for many...the method does work.

Again, I challenge you to go look up the studies for yourselves. I have already done so, and don't feel like spending the time to do it again.

I am not making any assumptions.

Well now your simply misreading my posts. Probably time to just pull the ol' "agree to disagree" card out on this one D. I think you and I could pour through the research on this issue and find a range of studies to support both sides of this argument.

My problem with your argument wasn't that you were wrong, but you backed up your support of PBL in medical education with a study saying it works for below average high school economics students. Here's a study that could have worked for you:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=225793&blobtype=pdf

I've got no problem with healthy debate. I'm comfortable enough in my own shoes that I can be wrong and learn something from another's point of view. Just when you enter a debate, be ready to defend your position without getting defensive. Believe me you will get grilled alot harder than that in med school. I got pasted good more than a few times, and that was only in PT school.

Okay, so let's look at this. Positives and negatives of PBL:

POSITIVES:
- More study time.
- Group discussion... like real medical practice, especially in rotations and residency.
- Clinical context for subjects.
- Awesome.

NEGATIVES:
- Must be self-motivated 100% of the time. Nobody there to hold your hand and feed you information.

Feel free to add on.

Based on the article I posted earlier, the authors seem to support PBL. However the drawbacks included issues such as cost, high faculty workload, and variable tutor quality.

Some of the interesting benefits the authors cite were students becoming more "eclectic" in their learning styles and an "egalitarian" learning environment. No wonder why I have a harder time with it.

If it's the wave of the future, I'll just roll with it in school. I just keep having flashbacks to my first exposure to PBL in PT school when they were just bringing it into being. A bunch of clueless students and one impatient professor kicking around a complicated clinical case. It was like herding cats.

I could see how people could get a lot out of it, but it made me nuts. I am a self-admitted old schooler though.

One thing that is different about it with your school... it seems that it was imposed on students who didn't necessarily sign up for it, or know what they were getting themselves into. So it was something they had never seen before, and they reacted poorly. Like an option QB going to Nebraska, only to have them change to the west coast offense the next year. Or stupid Greg Davis running the option read with Colt McCoy.

At a place like LECOM-B, everyone who goes there knows that its going to PBL, and many of them are probably going there because of PBL. So they've got the right attitude from the very beginning. So you've got the right people in your system.

Or stupid Greg Davis running the option read with Colt McCoy.

Word...you know when you put it that way it does make more sense. I can always count on you to clear things up with a Longhorn football analogy.:D

As much as I love PBL, that is how much I hate Greg Davis.

Based on the article I posted earlier, the authors seem to support PBL. However the drawbacks included issues such as cost, high faculty workload, and variable tutor quality.

I'm not sure how it would be a higher faculty workload since they really don't have to prepare lectures, but that "variable tutor/facilitator quality" can be a significant issue. There is the "ideal" of what the facilitator should and shouldn't do, and sometimes you'll get a faculty member who decides to take a little more control of the group than necessary or only focus on specifics that they're familiar with.

I know this year they only had certain faculty members facilitate in the beginning, those that they knew would facilitate correctly. I think that's just going to be a constant struggle, and a big reason why we switch facilitators every so often.

There are couple 2nd years on here that may have better info but as far as I know I'm not sure if there's a hospital in Ft. Myers where we do any core rotations at, BUT keep in mind that you can do your elective rotations anywhere you want. So if there's a residency program in Ft. Myers that you're interested in then you'd want to do an elective or two there so you can "show your face". That's going to be true pretty much anywhere you go. It is a new school but they are developing some good relationships with several of the local area hospitals and some of the larger ones up in Tampa/St. Pete area, which is only like 45-50 minutes away. I definitely kept in mind that it was a newer school when I was applying, but I'm really not concerned about the rotations or the fact that there isn't an official residency program associated with the school.

Not to bust your bubble, but the hospitals we have in Tampa/St. Pete are anything but big. 220-something beds at Northside and about the same at St. Pete General. Suncoast has 300, but there are only 4 spots there. You do the math. PBL may be great, but when push comes to shove, clinical rotations at LECOM are a disgrace.
St. Pete General is starting an internship program for 2008 through LECOM. Not sure what the track is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to bust your bubble, but the hospitals we have in Tampa/St. Pete are anything but big. 220-something beds at Northside and about the same at St. Pete General. Suncoast has 300, but there are only 4 spots there. You do the math. PBL may be great, but when push comes to shove, clinical rotations at LECOM are a disgrace.
St. Pete General is starting an internship program for 2008 through LECOM. Not sure what the track is.

What are you comparing this to though? I understand this isn't in the middle of New York or Chicago with major teaching hospitals all around, but what exactly makes you say that the rotations here are a disgrace?

I am still not sure what the big deal is about being at a "big" hospital. The advantage of these "smaller" programs is much more 1 on 1 time with the attending...which translates to more procedures. Many med students don't get to do anything but watch at the "big hospitals".

Besides, you're not stuck in Florida.

I agree. When I apply I will look strongly at PBL schools. It just seems like something I would benefit from.

OK, I've read some of your posts and feel that none of you really have gone through PBL to really formulate an opinion. One of my patient's grandson goes to JABSOM and it's PBL there. According to him, PBL is a huge time killer in that many times you are looking for information rather than going to where information is (ie textbook). Some of you may argue and say that you'll have to look for information later as a physician so why not start now....the thing is you are already a physician. As a student with limited time to study, looking for information is not so ideal.

The second point (again unlike many of you who has never gone through PBL) he made was that during the first year, you don't know anything. You have no basic ideas on anatomy, physiology or histology to be talking about patient cases. He felt that perhaps PBL may be beneficial starting the second year when you actually know the normal physiology.

His third point was that your clinicals ARE PBLs. Do you really need to start this during the first year of school when absorbing material in a more time efficient manner is paramount?

Again, these opinions came from an actual med student here at JABSOM (University of Hawaii med school).

Again, these opinions came from an actual med student here at JABSOM (University of Hawaii med school).

What's wrong with my opinion? I'm a med student who's done it for a couple of years. I love it. There's no way I'd rather learn medicine. I, myself, can tell you about it from a LOT of experience. I have 155 other people in my class with whom I talk to on a regular basis (try every day), who like PBL very much. I know 150+ people in the class ahead of me who are head-over-heals in love with it because they got super incredible scores on COMLEX due to it and they are rocking their rotations right now.

There are people who are NOT cut out for PBL because they need to be spoon fed material in lectures. It's that simple. Those people will not only dislike PBL, they will wither and die from it. Your "actual med student" may be one of those. Those people who love PBL, however, will prosper greatly from it and will certainly have advantages when they begin their clinical years.

I think it has to do with how well the PBL is done. Its not like they just turn you loose with your books. As far as I understand, they give you some guidance.

What's wrong with my opinion? I'm a med student who's done it for a couple of years. I love it. There's no way I'd rather learn medicine. I, myself, can tell you about it from a LOT of experience. I have 155 other people in my class with whom I talk to on a regular basis (try every day), who like PBL very much. I know 150+ people in the class ahead of me who are head-over-heals in love with it because they got super incredible scores on COMLEX due to it and they are rocking their rotations right now.

There are people who are NOT cut out for PBL because they need to be spoon fed material in lectures. It's that simple. Those people will not only dislike PBL, they will wither and die from it. Your "actual med student" may be one of those. Those people who love PBL, however, will prosper greatly from it and will certainly have advantages when they begin their clinical years.

I have a hard time believing that you actually spoke to 155 people in your class AND 150+ people in the class ahead of you to survey what they think of PBL. C'mon, we are not that gullible. If you like PBL fine. Don't make up stories. My story is true. One guy I spoke to, and that was his opinion. Your story, however, I find it hard to believe. I guess PBL does give you a lot of time!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a hard time believing that you actually spoke to 155 people in your class ...

Where did I ever say that I took a survey? Yet, we have a lot of interaction in our class. There's not a single person in it that I haven't talked to over the last two years. I've seen the hidden tattoos that they have and touched them all over in OMM. I've examined their lungs, hearts and even their feet (gotta find that dorsalis pedics pulse) in Clinical Exam lab. I've studied in the library with them and eaten lunch with them in the cafteria. I've ridden the bus with them to Orlando for Halloween Horror nights and seen comedians at THe Improv in Tampa with them. I've cooked out for them on my grill, swam in my pool with them, and shared a few drinks in my jacuzzi with them. I've gone out to the movies with them and waited at the airports for a flight with them. I've gone to medical conferences with them and just stood around in the parking lot after an occasional test with them. When we do these things...we talk.

You get really close to the people in your medical school class because you are all sharing a living hell together. You have lots of interaction with them as well. At least you do at my school because we are all kind of like one big family. It's one of the things that drew me to here in the first place because the atmosphere was different from my other interviews. It's a kind of closeness among peers with very little competition. That's one of the things that PBL does for you. You are forced to change groups and facilitators on a regular basis and you learn to get along, even with people that you don't like so much.

In a school with lectures....maybe you only really meet the few people around you. Maybe you don't get to know them all that well. I can't really say because I haven't been there. I was there in undergrad but that might not trranslate to medical schoool. In the same way, it's very unlikely that you can understand what PBL is really like. You haven't heard all the opinions that I have-- and I have literally heard one from everybody. If you'll notice I said 155 people. There are 157 in the class.

According to him, PBL is a huge time killer in that many times you are looking for information rather than going to where information is (ie textbook).

This confuses me a bit. When I went to LECOM-B for my interview I sat in on a PBL group. They meet for 2 hrs 3 times per week.

During the course of their discussion, they decided which exact chapters of their textbooks they needed to read before their next meeting.

Scpod should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the point of PBL, at least the way LECOM-B does it. The sessions are there to identify your weak areas of knowledge, then you go home and strengthen them. You go directly to where the information is...the textbook. If you need to learn about the anatomy of the heart, you turn to Chapter 5 called "Heart Anatomy".

Doesn't seem like that big of a waste of time to me...and I saw it in action.

Also, I would like to point out again that I may be the only person here who has taught PBL. I've done the research on its effeciveness, and have been both a student learning in PBL (not at LECOM-B, but at my UG) and a teacher in the style.

I sometimes like to think that I know what I'm talking about. :D

OK, I've read some of your posts and feel that none of you really have gone through PBL to really formulate an opinion. One of my patient's grandson goes to JABSOM and it's PBL there. According to him, PBL is a huge time killer in that many times you are looking for information rather than going to where information is (ie textbook). Some of you may argue and say that you'll have to look for information later as a physician so why not start now....the thing is you are already a physician. As a student with limited time to study, looking for information is not so ideal.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but you can't really say that none of us has the experience to even form an opinion, when there are a few of us here who are currently IN a PBL program or have gone through one at some level. Especially when your only experience is what you've heard through a "friend of a friend". And again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I totally respect those who have seen it or researched it enough and decided that it isn't the correct learning method for them, that's fine. But in a lot of cases, I feel, people are being exposed to PBL by hearing negative comments from people who were exposed to PBL that possibly wasn't done "correctly".

Even in your example there, during the actual small group is NOT where you're going to be learning the basic sciences, but that's done on your own, with the actual textbooks. In the session you identify which basic sciences are important to that case, and what parts of those sciences you don't know, using the textbooks. We also look up terms or tests we don't know, again with the texts. We do use the internet if needed, but mainly to look up something that's more clinical that won't be in a book.....Ex: I like using Uptodate for some of that stuff, for treatment guidelines, etc....

I don't know how their program is setup, but if he's sitting in a PBL session trying to learn the basic sciences by looking stuff up on the internet, then that's not going to get him very far. I mean, all we have here are our textbooks, most of which we will have read cover to cover by the end of the 2 years. I've got friends at traditional lecture based programs who only rely on lectures/outlines from the professors and barely used their books.

The second point (again unlike many of you who has never gone through PBL) he made was that during the first year, you don't know anything. You have no basic ideas on anatomy, physiology or histology to be talking about patient cases. He felt that perhaps PBL may be beneficial starting the second year when you actually know the normal physiology.

In our PBL program, and I'm sure others, we initially had a gross anatomy/histology course that was traditional lecture based w/ lab. It's basically an intense 10-week course, but still considered a "survey" course, since we'll still be learning and picking anatomy topics throughout PBL.

Anyway, it's kind of a philosophical argument here since you're never going to know everything and you have to start somewhere. And back to the point of PBL, the point is NOT to simply solve the case....so it really doesn't matter if what we know coming into a case. The point is to work through it and learn about the basic sciences that cause those symptoms. So right now we have a 14-hr infant with ambiguous genitalia..... at this point we know very little about what it could be. But we able to come up w/ a decent diff. dx list between each of us and using the books. And quickly got to the point where we couldn't go further without doing some reading, so now we reading about development of UG system, and doing some side reading on anemias and androgen hormones so that when we got the blood work back next session we know the results mean and what to rule in/out.

To beat a dead horse....the point of PBL is not to simply discuss a case with knowledge we have.....but to let the case guide us through learning the basic science processes as they come up.

His third point was that your clinicals ARE PBLs. Do you really need to start this during the first year of school when absorbing material in a more time efficient manner is paramount?

I'd argue that doing this stuff your 1st two years allows for a smoother transition into your clinical years since you've already been use to the process of being presented a clinical problem ---> then know how to think through which basic sciences are involved --> how to develop a diff. dx list --> which tests you could to do rule in/out things on your list --> etc.... And you would have already read through most of your standard textbooks so you'd know right where to go to find that..... ex: you may find stuff about anemia in multiple textbooks, but from your reading you may know that your physio book puts a slightly different slant on it that's usefully for the case you're working on.

And again, I don't how one can absorb material more efficiently. If he's only learning (or trying to learn) the basic concepts in a PBL session then that's just not a good way to do. Pretty much my week is strictly me reading my textbooks and learning the concepts, and then for 6 hours total a week (a drop in the bucket) I get to apply those concepts in a clinical setting. I really don't see how you can learn more efficiently......UNLESS you don't read the textbook at all and only study condensed powerpoint slides or outlines.

I'm definitely not knocking that as many people do that during med school and are totally fine. I just know that, for me personally, I need to see the "big picture" and just can't read bullet points and understand a concept. I need to put it into a larger context by reading the textbook's detailed explanation and see how it relates clinically.