I love Scotch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glenfiddich 21. It's very oakey.

Members don't see this ad.

Now this may offend some of the purists out there, but......

Anyone try Teachers Highland Cream (it's a blend).?? Good stuff. Very "creamy" like it's name suggests. Great aroma. Nice taste.

Let me know?

I guess, one of the most prevalent of the single malts within this blend is Ardmore. Anyone try it??

cf

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure the difference between Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey. Nor do I really give a s hi t. That being said, I like

Johnny Walker Black/Blue

Makers

Knob Creek

All on the rocks. With a lime.

Not sure the difference between Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey. Nor do I really give a s hi t. That being said, I like

Johnny Walker Black/Blue

Makers

Knob Creek

It's pretty straight forward to anyone who is interested.

Bourbon; Must be made in the state of Kentuky (Jack Daniels is NOT Bourbon). Must be minimum of 50% corn based and aged a minimum of 2 years in a BRAND NEW white oak charred barrel.

Scotch; as it's name implies, it must be made in Scotland. Scotches are HIGHLY variable, unlike Bourbons where the differences are a bit more subtle. This variability comes from a variety of factors;
Some Scotches are aged in USED BOURBON barrels, and others in a combo of used bourbon barrels AND USED SHERRY barrels (from Spain and Portugal usually), and the length of time aged, where they age (by the sea), if they "smoke" the barley with peat smoke before brewing, and which types of used barrels and for how long, are all factors that make Scotches so damn different from one to another.

Tennessee whiskey (i.e. Jack Daniels): pretty similar to the way Bourbon is made, but they "filter" is through a special charcoal/wood, which is supposed to mellow it out and give it a unique flavor.

It's pretty straight forward to anyone who is interested.

Bourbon; Must be made in the state of Kentuky (Jack Daniels is NOT Bourbon). Must be minimum of 50% corn based and aged a minimum of 2 years in a BRAND NEW white oak charred barrel.

Scotch; as it's name implies, it must be made in Scotland. Scotches are HIGHLY variable, unlike Bourbons where the differences are a bit more subtle. This variability comes from a variety of factors;
Some Scotches are aged in USED BOURBON barrels, and others in a combo of used bourbon barrels AND USED SHERRY barrels (from Spain and Portugal usually), and the length of time aged, where they age (by the sea), if they "smoke" the barley with peat smoke before brewing, and which types of used barrels and for how long, are all factors that make Scotches so damn different from one to another.

Tennessee whiskey (i.e. Jack Daniels): pretty similar to the way Bourbon is made, but they "filter" is through a special charcoal/wood, which is supposed to mellow it out and give it a unique flavor.

That was eloquently put, my friend.

So, in the end,

ITS ALL KINDA THE SAME S H IT...ALBEIT WITH DIFFERENT QUALIFIERS.

And that is said as respectful as I can put it.

Keep in mind,

I went to THE U.:smuggrin:

Have missed you on the site.

Drinkin some Aberlour 12 yr in the lobby of my hotel after a hot and humid day snorkelin in Tulum area.

Now my favorite "cheap and sweet" scotch.

Just bought 16 yr Glenlivet nadurra in the airport. Very oakey. Not sure if I am a fan.

I like the sherry finished scotches a lot.

Noy, I am drinking some Macallan for you tonight too.

So, in the end,

Keep in mind,

Johnny Walker Black/Blue

Makers

Knob Creek

If you're drinking JW Blue on the rocks with a lime :eek: you're probably wasting your hard earned dough. Just get the 80/ bottle stuff and drink 2-3 times as much.;)

So, in the end,

Keep in mind,

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Typical Jet. LOL

Yeah, I guess you're right. But, the Scotches taste VERY different between brands. Let me know.

It's great to have you back my friend. If even for a day or two (two?? lol).

cf

Drinkin some Aberlour 12 yr in the lobby of my hotel after a hot and humid day snorkelin in Tulum area.

Just bought 16 yr Glenlivet nadurra in the airport. Very oakey. Not sure if I am a fan.

Dre, man, I admire you right now..... I HAD a trip to Cozumel scheduled before residency, but the gf and I had a little spat (my initiative and fault really) and this is less certain..... Whatever, I'll make it up to her.

Wow.

My OG SHOWTIME MAN.
:thumbup:

Currently have these two in my stash. Different tastes but both very good. Especially on a resident's budget.

Old%20Pulteney%2012.jpg

aberlour%2012%20years%20double%20cask.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

Johnny Walker Black/Blue

Makers

Knob Creek

JW Black or Blue? Bit of a difference there!

And you'd put lime in blue????? Should I ever be able to afford ONE drink of blue I think I'd rather taste it, not additives.

JW Black or Blue? Bit of a difference there!

And you'd put lime in blue????? Should I ever be able to afford ONE drink of blue I think I'd rather taste it, not additives.

To each his own, Ay Mate?

Yes, a difference, of course. Try them with and without a little fresh lime. I didnt come up with that...I live in New Orleans and as you know this is a party city... heard it from the locals, tried it, liked it.

Last edited:
Jet,
Licorice stick is actually a girl ( I think).
An Australian chick who knows a thing or two about Scotch which I find charming.

Awesome!

Thanks bro.

I'll correct myself.

"AY MATETTE?"

There WAS a little attitude in his/her post, wouldntcha say?

My scotch resume is not quite so impressive.

Right now I'm sipping J&B, neat. I know, I know.

I've enjoyed a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood in the past and agree what others have said.

I'm dying to get my hands on some Laphroaig or Compass Box Peat Monster sometime soon. Anyone tried the Compass Box blend?

I'm intrigued by the prospect of a Costco 18yr single malt that I've heard is out there.

Till next tasting.

BNE

Jet,
Licorice stick is actually a girl ( I think).
I must confess, Plank is right...
Nonetheless, "mate" has become such a generic word in Australia that it no longer exclusively applies to guys - so Jet's post isn't wrong.

Jet - I am a bit picky about what goes in my whiskey, but I'll give the lime a go with some black...but if I ever get my hands on some blue, i think I'll pass on it :).

:eek: Stick to mate!

More astonishment than attitude....but maybe Blue is cheaper in the US than it is here.

Ay MATE!

Dudette, you're talking about Johnny Walker Blue like it's holy water blessed by a member of the catholic diocese that hasn't been accused of blowing a teen (which by the way is a rare commodity in the catholic church these days).

Mate,

Blues good.

Real good.

Not as good, tho, as you're implying in your post....like you'd sigh your last breath in an inverted, crashing, submerged under water car.....as long as you could taste Johnny Walker Blue (sans lime :cool:) before the end comes.

Agree with Jet,
JW Blue is over rated and way over priced.

Makers Mark sold a limited quantity of basically their standard product but with a BLACK wax coat and black label. It was stricly for the Japanese import market.

Not sure what the Japanese were paying for a bottle, but it's so "rare" today, that ONE OUNCE goes for $100.00 Talk about a gimmick.

That's just completely unreasonable.

Makers Mark sold a limited quantity of basically their standard product but with a BLACK wax coat and black label. It was stricly for the Japanese import market.

Not sure what the Japanese were paying for a bottle, but it's so "rare" today, that ONE OUNCE goes for $100.00 Talk about a gimmick.

That's just completely unreasonable.

It wasn't really a "limited quantity," it was a higher proof version that they were selling for a long time in Japan. I used to see it all over the place. I think it was about 20% more expensive than the red wax version at the time. I saw a bottle recently sold on ebay for about $150 so that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Japan has lots of great Scotch you can't buy in the US like the Royal Lochnagar single malt and Royal Household, a blend only otherwise available to the royal household.

My all time favorite is the kind I have left in my freezer when I go to get a glass, you should try it its excellent. My second favorite is the other bottle that I haven't yet to put in the freezer; it too is an excellent drink. My 3rd which I rarely partake in is a handful of ETOH wipes from my medicine cabinet that I wring out into a small disposable cup; it goes down easy but I always wake up the next morning with a headache and partial blindness.

Try Oban. 14 yr old single malt.
West Highlands. More refined than a lot of Highland malts, reasonably complex and not overpowering. A little sweet and a bit salty, smooth with a nice finish, some nice smoke and definately spicey. Not the cheapest, but worth the money. It's also a good choice for a novice interested in expanding his palate.:thumbup: Get a bottle for the cabinet.

Today I am off post call and I decided to try Aberlour for the first time, I have to say I am very pleased, this stuff is very good!
Thank you guys!

aberlabun_2.jpg

Any of you guys try Laphroaig Quarter Cask?? I'm sippin some right now. It's been a LONG time since I've had Laphroaig (only had the 10 yo), and this stuff really packs a punch.

That being said, I'm not at all disappointed.

I really DON'T want to add water, but the 10 yo seems more "drinkable" (prolly cause it's 8% less ABV). Not sure. Just a few sips in, frankly. Gonna watch a "review" (i.e. Laphroaig sponsored) on youtube and see what they're saying.

Opinions on the Quarter Cask???

cf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf-era7sh0

This review pretty much sums up the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Literally.

Just finished a glass while watching the review, and I totally agree. Heavy stuff, to be sure, but if you like peat and smoke flavors (as I do), you'll like this one for sure.

Still interested in what you gents think, if you've tried it. I'm a fan.

cf

I'm drinking a custom blend of single malts tonight. Smokey, smooth, floral, a little sweet. Very nice!

Do tell!

Also, was it me, or did Ralfy seem a bit tipsy in that review?? :laugh:
I've never seen him so animated.

I (was)am not really a scotch person, but a few weeks ago at a wedding a scottish friend explained the inner workings of scotch to me and after reading this thread last night I decided to go out and snag a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask...and wow. I love this stuff. I dont have much to compare it to yet but the peaty nose and finish is great. The only scotch I have tried in the past is blended scotch and that crap doesnt even hold a candle to this. I highly recommend!

I am more of a craft beer drinker/brewer and love rauchbiers (brewed with a bit of smoked malt) so the peaty smoke taste really struck a chord with me!

On a recent (awesome) trip to Japan I discovered the Hakushu:
Hakushu-12-years.gif

A very nice single malt; a hint of peat in the background, a clean taste and finish, and possibly my new favorite 12 year-old, supplanting the Balvenie Doublewood.

If the Yamazaki is the only Japanese single malt you've ever had (which I also like but is less smooth), try this, I bet you'll like it better.

Just finished a glass while watching the review, and I totally agree. Heavy stuff, to be sure, but if you like peat and smoke flavors (as I do), you'll like this one for sure.

cf

Is there something very similar to this you would recommend? I am literally a first bottle n00b. Maybe something a little more mellow? Like you I really dig the smoky peaty taste.

Is there something very similar to this you would recommend? I am literally a first bottle n00b. Maybe something a little more mellow? Like you I really dig the smoky peaty taste.
In order of increasing smoke and complexity, and possible offense.
Highland Park 12 or 18
Ardmore Traditional Cask
Ardbeg 10 or Uigeadail
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 18
And finally, the most peated whisky in the world... Bruichladdich Octomore.
Try them all! HP 18 is an absolute gem, and the 12 is a great all around scotch for a newbie on a budget, and a great place to start. Salivating now...:love:
There are loads of good peated single malts. You might like Johnnie Walker Green, it's a nice blend of single malts (a malt blend as opposed to a blended whisky which contains grain alcohol). It's smokey and mostly Talisker and Caol Ila. You might like them as well! You're starting a great adventure! Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Highland Park 12 or 18
Ardmore Traditional Cask
Ardbeg 10 or Uigeadail
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 18
Try them all! HP 18 is an absolute gem, and the 12 is a great all around scotch for a newbie on a budget, and a great place to start. Salivating now...:love:
There are loads of good peated single malts. You might like Johnnie Walker Green, it's a nice blend of single malts (a malt blend as opposed to a blended whisky which contains grain alcohol). It's smokey and mostly Talisker and Caol Ila. You might like them as well! You're starting a great adventure! Enjoy the ride!

Thanks! I am enjoying the ride already :) I finished my glass but its sitting next to me and the aromas keep wafting over here!

cf

CF,

I've tried it, and the 10 and 18, love them all. Acquired taste for sure, but I like this stuff much better than everything else I've tried. I guess I have to try this Bruichladdich Octomore now, never heard of it. I can't imagine anything more peaty than the Laphroaig which is like drinking the earth from under a wet rock. Yet it works.

D712

I never liked Chivas. It just had a burn that JW Black didn't have.

JW Black has been my go to- it's about as good as my budget can afford.

I just tried Glenlivet last night and I liked it. I'll try to pick up a bottle, next time I'm buying.

I think Il Destriero answered your question. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some others on this forum. If you go to a good, boutique, store with knowledeable staff, they can really help you out. If you like smoky AND peaty, then I'd say stick to the Islay malts. But, with so many producers, there are always exceptions.

Good luck and happy experimenting!

cf

CF,

I've tried it, and the 10 and 18, love them all. Acquired taste for sure, but I like this stuff much better than everything else I've tried. I guess I have to try this Bruichladdich Octomore now, never heard of it. I can't imagine anything more peaty than the Laphroaig which is like drinking the earth from under a wet rock. Yet it works.

D712

How did you like the 18 compared to the 10?? Just curious. Never had it. Just the 10 and Quarter Cask.

Interestingly, the damn quarter cask was so friggin smokey that I was tasting it all the next day. Perhaps not so good, but it was tasty. I actually added a little H20 which for me is not at all the norm. I think the 10 is more smooth (even with a dash of water in the quarter cask), though it's been a while and a side by side comparison would be the only way to really be sure.......

cf

Highland Park 12 or 18
Ardmore Traditional Cask
Ardbeg 10 or Uigeadail
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 18

Glad you brought this up. I can not remember the name of the outfit, but a really knowledgeable dude (owns the store) told me about a blended Islay (may have been a blend of single malts if I recall correctly) that was a GREAT bang for the buck (I think it was like $27) and he raved about it. Next time I get over there (perhaps not anytime soon as things are ramping up quickly here...) I'll for sure report back.

cf

Glad you brought this up. I can not remember the name of the outfit, but a really knowledgeable dude (owns the store) told me about a blended Islay (may have been a blend of single malts if I recall correctly) that was a GREAT bang for the buck (I think it was like $27) and he raved about it. Next time I get over there (perhaps not anytime soon as things are ramping up quickly here...) I'll for sure report back.

cf

Black Bottle. Islay on a budget.

Just bought this in celebration of ending the CA-2 year. Yet another in my increasingly long line of favorites.

HighlandPark12.jpg

How did you like the 18 compared to the 10?? Just curious. Never had it. Just the 10 and Quarter Cask.

Interestingly, the damn quarter cask was so friggin smokey that I was tasting it all the next day. Perhaps not so good, but it was tasty. I actually added a little H20 which for me is not at all the norm. I think the 10 is more smooth (even with a dash of water in the quarter cask), though it's been a while and a side by side comparison would be the only way to really be sure.......

cf

To be honest, I think I had the 18 first, then the Quarter Cask, then the 10. And on separate nights. So, hard to compare. One may have been stronger or smoother, but I cannot honestly say, other than to mention I liked them all very much. I don't think my palate is tuned up enough to specify the way I could with my favorite cigars...

I suppose I have no other choice than to follow up on this with speed and persistence.

D712

anyone try McClelland's???? They have an Islay, Highlands, Speyside, and something else (forgot).

They're affiliated with Bowmore and the history is somewhat vague.

However, I was told of their Islay Single Malt, and it's cheap as hell, and actually very good IMO. Another poor man's Islay.....

Anyone?

cf

cf

Actually tried it at a scotch bar in Savannah during our national convention.

It was a bit of heaven until a classmate knocked it out of my hands. Tear.