I love Scotch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm resurrecting this thread because despite temps in the 80s, I'm starting to notice color changes in the leaves and the sun setting a bit earlier. That means Scotch season is right around the corner (it's also more fun to talk about than our mess of a healthcare system). I have a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail waiting to be opened. However, I need a little bit more chill in the air before I enjoy a smokey whiskey. I was thinking about picking up an Irish whiskey for the transition weather. Maybe a Redbreast?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm resurrecting this thread because despite temps in the 80s, I'm starting to notice color changes in the leaves and the sun setting a bit earlier. That means Scotch season is right around the corner (it's also more fun to talk about than our mess of a healthcare system). I have a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail waiting to be opened. However, I need a little bit more chill in the air before I enjoy a smokey whiskey. I was thinking about picking up an Irish whiskey for the transition weather. Maybe a Redbreast?
Redbreast is fine. If you can find Yellowspot then get that. Or Teeling. Or Kilbeggan.
Basically go to a duty free shop somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had Green Spot. How does it compare?
The GS is ~7-11yr ex-bourbon/sherry casks @40% [$50-65]. YS is a 12yr @ 46% [$90-110] that has malaga casks (another sweet, fortified Spanish wine) also thrown into the mix. It's sweeter, fruitier, and stronger. Bit more complex and mature. I think they're both great, but the YS is significantly more interesting and the malaga casks do a good job setting it apart from other sherried whiskies.

Redbreast 15 is pretty good. Cask Strength 12 isn't worth the extra price IMO.

One thing that keeps me optimistic about anesthesiology is seeing the young generation following the footsteps of us old farts and enjoying the good things in life like Scotch, guns, cars...
Very encouraging!

Reactions: 2 users
Just starting to get into Scotch and bourbons... Haven't tested a lot of single-malts yet but enjoyed some Glenlivet 18yr and Glenmorangie neat with a dash of water. Overall I prefer the non-peaty ones.

Blended-wise I usually go for Johnnie Walker black on the rocks. Wife and I recently went on a cruise and at a tasting event I had some Platinum label that I REALLY enjoyed. (Not at a point to afford the Blue).

Currently have a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel that isn't that bad.

If I'm out somewhere and don't feel like experimenting I'll usually stick with Maker's or Woodford Reserve.

Had a glass of Pappy once (not sure which one, was bought for me), and wasn't in the right frame of mind to properly enjoy it so I wish I could do that over again.

One thing that keeps me optimistic about anesthesiology is seeing the young generation following the footsteps of us old farts and enjoying the good things in life like Scotch, guns, cars...
Very encouraging!
:thumbup:

Started off with the guns, now getting into Scotch. Cars will need to wait a little while.

I'll drink Miller Lite and drive my '08 car a while longer... So I can spend more money on guns

Members don't see this ad :)
Whisky guns and cars.......

OK so I just got myself a bottle of Macallan 18 and a Lagavulin 16. Bought a SW 22 victory auto handgun for the dear wife as a birthday present. I'm gonna continue to drive my 2010 Tundra which I bought for cash and is now valued at $0 in my Corp. if I sell it, I have to claim a profit on my taxes. I'm keeping it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have about 15 bottles of whisky at the moment and have tried maybe 40-50. If I could only keep 5 bottles I would have:
Highland Park 18
Lagavulin 12 cask strength
Aberlour ABunadh
Bunnahabhain 18
Laphroaig 10 cask strength

I'd go with those for variety and quality. What would you swap? The Lagavulin and Laphroaig are pretty similar and maybe 1 could switch to something with a different finish? Can't go wrong with those though.

I have about 15 bottles of whisky at the moment and have tried maybe 40-50. If I could only keep 5 bottles I would have:
Highland Park 18
Aberlour ABunadh
Bunnahabhain 18

I'd go with those for variety and quality. What would you swap? The Lagavulin and Laphroaig are pretty similar and maybe 1 could switch to something with a different finish? Can't go wrong with those though.

I love Laphroaig, but sometimes I feel like after the powerful nose, it's a little thin in taste. I like Talisker 10 year old as a readily available scotch you can use as an everyday whiskey. It's not quite as smokey as the Islay whiskies, but it's much spicier in taste. I've been impressed with Benromach of late. They don't color their whiskies and the 10 year old is a great value. It is a Speyside whiskey with a hint of smoke. I haven't had their 15 year old, but it is on my to do list.

I'm new to scotch (but not to bourbon) and had a Bowmore 12 recently. I really liked that it was smoky, but not peaty. Like, I dug the wood-smoke aspect of it much more than the petrol-heavy peatiness of laiphroig 10. Am I using those terms correctly, and how would I identify more scotches with the wood-smoke notes? Is there a more technical term that's used?

I'm new to scotch (but not to bourbon) and had a Bowmore 12 recently. I really liked that it was smoky, but not peaty. Like, I dug the wood-smoke aspect of it much more than the petrol-heavy peatiness of laiphroig 10. Am I using those terms correctly, and how would I identify more scotches with the wood-smoke notes? Is there a more technical term that's used?
That's definitely a fair way to describe it. I find whisky like the aforementioned Talisker 10 and others like Oban, Highland Park, Ledaig, Jura, Springbank, and Bunnahabhain are good mild to moderately "smoky" but not particularly "peaty" whiskies. I recommend Highland Park 12 or Talisker 10 to follow-up on Bowmore 12.

Edit: as @GravelRider said, Benromach is also very good. I visited them a couple of months ago and was impressed. Their base whisky has a hint of smoke, and their Peat Smoke bottling is pretty strong but very tasty. Worth a try if you can find it.

Last edited:

So, whiskies don't really taste "peaty." After barley is malted (germinated), it needs to be dried. Hot air from a kiln is used to dry the malt. If peat is added to the fire in the kiln as a fuel, you will get a very smokey fire. The malt then takes on smokey flavor, but peat is never added to a whiskey. The smokiness depends on how long the malted barley is dried over a peat fire or on the use of different ratios of "peated" and "unpeated" malt. The smokiness of a whiskey is also converted to other flavors as it ages. So, a younger whiskey will always have a higher ppm of smokiness compared to it's older counterpart.

The casks themselves are toasted or charred on the insides...usually in America or other European countries for other spirits, like Bourbon and wines. American law says they can't reuse those casks, so they sell those ex-bourban casks to the Scots. The char on the inside of the casks is charcoal, so it acts as a filter and does not impart any flavors. It filters out some of the harsh flavors of the young spirits and allows the toasted flavors of the wood and whatever was in the cask previously to enter the spirit (such as sherry). So, the casks themselves do not impart an smokey flavors in the whiskey. If anything, aging the whiskey in a cask will mellow out the smokey flavors.

This stuff is WAY more important than anesthesia.

Highland Park 18
Aberlour ABunadh
Bunnahabhain 18

There's some good advice in this thread. That's a smoke and peat heavy list. You might try Springbank 10 in place of Bunnahabhain, which I find vile for some reason. Springbank is a complex malt that is full of earth and minerals. Really interesting, but not really for a new palate and lighter than what you've got going on that list. It might be too early to appreciate it. Maybe go with an older sherried malt.

--
Il Destriero

I got a bottle of Balvenie 12 Yr for my birthday and haven't cracked it open yet, but that will change here soon. Also, if anyone is into motorcycles, I'm breaking in a Triumph Bonneville as we speak.

I got a bottle of Balvenie 12 Yr for my birthday and haven't cracked it open yet, but that will change here soon. Also, if anyone is into motorcycles, I'm breaking in a Triumph Bonneville as we speak.
Balvenie is one of my favorites; they really do it right as far as whisky goes (I'm especially impressed considering they are a part of the William Grant family, which also runs Glenfiddich [just across the street]).

The Doublewood is excellent - perhaps a bit TOO drinkable - and their single barrel series is also really good.

Reactions: 1 users
Balvenie is one of my favorites; they really do it right as far as whisky goes (I'm especially impressed considering they are a part of the William Grant family, which also runs Glenfiddich [just across the street]).

The Doublewood is excellent - perhaps a bit TOO drinkable - and their single barrel series is also really good.

I liked Balvenie doublewood and thought the 12 year single barrel was great if you are in the mood for something light. The sherried 15 year single barrel is really good, just not quite as good as the similar Aberlour A'Bunadh in my opinion.

I've had Springbank 10 and really like it. I think it's close to Highland Park, Talisker, and Oban 14, smoke flavored but not the strong peat of an Islay. Springbank is great for the money though. Ever try Longrow? I haven't but peated Springbank sounds good in theory.

I never tried Bowmore 12 but Bowmore Darkest is tasty.

In reality almost everything I've tried is pretty darn good. I didn't care for Ardbeg Corryvreckan or Old Pulteney 21 at first (both medicinal) but even those grew on me.

I heard Bruichladdich Black Arts is great but it's too $$$ for me. Maybe some day...

I need to try Benromach, Ledaig, and Jura I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

My favorite "starter" scotch to recommend. It really is like a gateway drug. After that, try highland park 12 or even better, benromach 10 for a slight smokey, sherry funk. Then go for Talisker 10 for a bit more smoke and spice. From there you will decide whether to try a peat monster like Laphroaig 10 or a sherry bomb like Aberlour A'bunadh. The options are limitless in scotch and you will be hooked with the depth of flavor that can be obtained.

If you like Balvenie stuff then I suggest trying their carribean cask. It's aged in rum barrels and it has a little more spice and vanilla in my opinion from the rum barrel aging.

So I was turned off by scotch last year after a ski trip where everyone in the house came down with norovirus. I had a glass every night by the fire while relaxing and when I came down with the GI bug it really messed me up. I couldn't smell scotch for months.

I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread...but for those that like the Balvenie doublewood (lots of people), I highly suggest trying the Auchentoshan Three Wood. Good as an after dinner drink. Highly drinkable for newer whisky drinkers, but complex enough to be enjoyed by more experienced drinkers

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Very encouraging!

I just start getting into whiskey, and of the ****ty bottom/ow shelf stuff, I find I like Maker's bourbon and Islay whiskies. And I've been meaning to get a gun, but it like walking into a candy store...too many choices, same go for the cars (though I've always had my eye on a '67 Mustang Fastback or maybe an El Camino from the same era).

I'm a total scotch novice, and despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to get too into it . . . Until this past weekend when I had the opportunity to try some Lagavulin 16. Damn that was good. It's like sipping a campfire. An oh so smooth campfire.

Welcome to the club! Once you get a taste for the liquid gold, all other spirits move to the back of the cabinet. I've been a bit bad lately myself. I was making some progress moving bottles out and then several suddenly took their place. I have several years worth of single malt just waiting to be called to duty. This is making me thirsty...
It's always an audible, but my money's on Ardbeg Uigeadail. It must be getting cold somewhere. Bring on the peat!

--
Il Destriero

So for me, scotch is to cold weather what tequila is to warm weather. I love a nice tequila neat with an orange slice and a dusting of cinnamon. Anyone have any tequilas they like?

So for me, scotch is to cold weather what tequila is to warm weather. I love a nice tequila neat with an orange slice and a dusting of cinnamon. Anyone have any tequilas they like?

While not exactly a tequila, try to find Mezcal Illegal. Super smoky, super smooth.

You're the only other person I've heard of that drinks it that way. That's a Brazilian thing.

I like to drink scotch out of wine glass. It really changes and enhances the flavor compared to traditional scotch tumbler. Just a thimble of water.
When its warm outside, switch to rum or grassier flavored scotch. Had bad experience with tequila in New Orleans...

A cold beer on a hot summer day usually sounds more appealing than scotch, but there are plenty of lighter scotches for warmer weather. I also find myself more attracted to whisky with some spice/bite and less smoothness. Talisker 10 is one of my favorites and it definitely has a nice intensity to it. I've been exploring the world of rye a lot more, which has some good spiciness.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is my current open bottle and it is quickly becoming a favorite. It's like drinking smoked brisket with a sweet/spicy sauce lathered all over.

Reactions: 2 users
I cracked open my first bottle of Laphroig 10 last night (I'm in the scotch immersion program). My wife wouldn't kiss me goodnight because I "smelled like a Sharpie fire." :laugh:

I cracked open my first bottle of Laphroig 10 last night (I'm in the scotch immersion program). My wife wouldn't kiss me goodnight because I "smelled like a Sharpie fire." :laugh:

Laphroaig 10 is like a gateway drug to the wonderful world of Islay whiskies. I prefer Ardbeg 10, but there is something wonderful about drinking the liquid tire fire of Laphroaig.

Yes... too smoky!

I didn't find it too smoky. In fact I think the Lagavulin 16 is smokier, but it lacks that "medicinal" bite of Laphroig. Right now my novice palate preferred the Lagavulin - it's more like burning wood (actually a burning vintage guitar is the perfect description) and less like a burning pharmaceutical factory (I mean that in the best possible way). The Lagavulin went down soo smooth while I actually had to psych myself up a bit before each sip of Laphroig.

I didn't find it too smoky. In fact I think the Lagavulin 16 is smokier, but it lacks that "medicinal" bite of Laphroig. Right now my novice palate preferred the Lagavulin - it's more like burning wood (actually a burning vintage guitar is the perfect description) and less like a burning pharmaceutical factory (I mean that in the best possible way). The Lagavulin went down soo smooth while I actually had to psych myself up a bit before each sip of Laphroig.
I think Laphroig tastes like burned plastic! but I know some people like it...

Go get some 21 y/o Glenlivet and forget about all that crap!

21 is really great if you're willing to pay for it, but the 18 is certainly the best bang for your buck in the Glenlivet line... unless you make it to the distillery -- they have some sublime casks you can pull a bottle from!
After the first glass... it doesn't matter how old your Glenlivet is!

Here's my take on whisky glasses.
Nothing beats a heavy based crystal glass in your hand and it's even better with a big fancy ice ball, but that's horrible for fine single malt. It's great for mixed drink though and that's what I use them for.
I have Copita glasses, the one that Richard Patterson is using above, and Glencairn glasses. The Glencairn is a nice well finished glass. It has a short heavy base and also feels good in the hand, though it's a bit awkward to hold. The glass bowl is a bit thicker as well, which I appreciate. It noses and drinks well, and is my go to glass.
The Copita is the tulip shaped one with the stem. It's lighter and more fragile, but it's taller and the bowl is a bit different. It also has a slightly larger opening. It's not much larger, but it makes it easier to get your nose in there to really get into the bouquet. I've had several, as they're more fragile. They also are thinner and sadly not as well finished overall. I am going to order a new set and hope that they are nicer than the ones I've had. One other advantage it has is the stem. It makes it easier to hold and it's the glass of choice for all of the festivals I've attended. I use it to try all my new purchases or if I'm showcasing a new whisky to a friend. I think it's a better whisky glass. Eventually I will find one that's supremely finished and a bit thicker and buy a lifetime supply.
If you want to pick up whisky drinking as a hobby, invest in some good glasses. They really do make a difference. A set of 4 Glencairn glasses is only about $40. They're a good sturdy quality glass that won't do you wrong.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
Anyone ever tried The Singlton from Glendullan? Looking for a bottle for the holidays.

Anyone ever tried The Singlton from Glendullan? Looking for a bottle for the holidays.

Never had it, but look into Glendronach for the holidays. The 12 or 15 year olds are very nice sherry cask matured scotches. They shouldn't be too hard to find and won't break the bank.

Costco has some amazing deals on a variety of nice single malts right now. Stock up for the holidays. Lots of good deals on high end tequila as well.