I love the Marine Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
rah!

Why couldn't the Marine Cops have had its own Medical Corps. I just couldn't identify with the blue side.

Members don't see this ad.

rah!

Why couldn't the Marine Cops have had its own Medical Corps. I just couldn't identify with the blue side.

I spent almost all of my AD time greenside and loved it. The biggest issues I had with military medicine were big Navy issues with how Navy medicine is run.

Members don't see this ad :)
But when you think about it, the Marine Corps has just as many assinine medical demands that the blueside Navy does. PDHRAs, the new ANAM testing, the fear of BC/BE medical officers, these are all coming out the MARFORCOM side of the house, not the blue Navy.

They are coming from the DoD not MARFORCOM. I think the PDHRA thing may be coming from congress but I'm not 100% sure.

While I have not practiced med in the Navy yet i.e. still a student. I do love my Corps and we love our docs. While Marine Med would be great it would go against the fabric of the Corps. All Marines are rifleman and kinda conflicts with the do no harm part of medical ethos. After all the only things Marines import into our Corps are Med and Chaplain both non-combatants. I do yearn for the chance to stay Marine and practice Medicine alas cause I am not allowed to "kill my enemy before he kills me" (riflemans creed) I will have to remain happy with the chance to treat those magnificent bastards and their families. Semper Fi. The love is mutual.

While I have not practiced med in the Navy yet i.e. still a student. I do love my Corps and we love our docs. While Marine Med would be great it would go against the fabric of the Corps. All Marines are rifleman and kinda conflicts with the do no harm part of medical ethos. After all the only things Marines import into our Corps are Med and Chaplain both non-combatants. I do yearn for the chance to stay Marine and practice Medicine alas cause I am not allowed to "kill my enemy before he kills me" (riflemans creed) I will have to remain happy with the chance to treat those magnificent bastards and their families. Semper Fi. The love is mutual.
Gotta love 2/4. Hope RVU is working out for you. Sometimes when I wear the Army cammies I remember wearing MC cammies and miss the old school style.

Oh and remember running to the helo pad in San Mateo. That was a bitch but fun.

Semper Fi. Keep our ground pounders on their feet and don't let a boot PFC try to get out of duty by complaining about nonsense.

Your colleagues down here tell me ANAM is MARFORCOM's fault. But I think you're right on PDHRAs.

They are mistaken I have the original memo.

Why don't you guys like ANAM? I just had some training on it and the neuropsychologist at Walter Reed who ran down the psychometric properties of it thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why don't you guys like ANAM? I just had some training on it and the neuropsychologist at Walter Reed who ran down the psychometric properties of it thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I went to a grand rounds the other day given by a neuropsychologist who does NIH funded research looking at the impact of cognition on different straits of HIV virus. Basically his group conducts neuropsych testing on thousands of patients with different strains of HIV. He told me that had used automated neuropsych testing but found it of little utility with a high false positive rate.

Shouldn't the ANAM be validated before its rolled out on a mass scale?

... the fear of BC/BE medical officers....

What is this about? Who is scared and what's the rationale?
I'm army and worked with USMC operationally and in CME, but not medicine.

I went to a grand rounds the other day given by a neuropsychologist who does NIH funded research looking at the impact of cognition on different straits of HIV virus. Basically his group conducts neuropsych testing on thousands of patients with different strains of HIV. He told me that had used automated neuropsych testing but found it of little utility with a high false positive rate.

Shouldn't the ANAM be validated before its rolled out on a mass scale?

The proponents claim ANAN was "validated," but I don't know by whom or by what (HAL 2000?). Do you know any references for the high false positives? My experience is to instincively distrust psychobabble surveys and brain tests, because of the assumptions and prejudices of the designers.

Perhaps fear is the wrong word. It's more a problem of rank.

I'm an O3, and special staff to the LtCol. I hold the same rank as the company commanders, and in the battalion only two men outrank me (the XO and CO). Residency-trained docs are more likely to be O4, making them equivalent rank to the XO, and outranking the company commanders. From what I'm told, the Marines don't like this idea.

In addition, most Regimental Surgeons (at least the board-certified ones) are O4s, and there is a presumed (though not actual) medical chain of command whereby the battalion medical officers answer medically to the regimental surgeons.

Do you think that is part of the Navy's resistance to moving away from GMOs?
I had positive experience with the Marines, so surprised you ran into that -- they must have been Academy kids.
And, will Army win?

Seriously? I didn't know that and I'm a football junkie. But you're right, Army will get smoked.

I'll take the job as coach, but I want money. How about Herm Edwards? His dad was a 1SG, so knows how to train, and the Chiefs thing is not working out.

What is the pathology in the Bn's: lacs, joints, and etoh withdrawal?

...And of course, vaginitis. But that's only right before we're going out to the field.

Not a combat arms battalion, I guess?

And, I'd rather coach Army losing 5 years in a row rather than take a job coaching Detroit. It's half time and 35-10, which is closer than I guessed.

seriously. :(

FMF doesn't make you a marine, right? you're only working with marines?
Only way to become a Marine is either via OCS or Boot Camp.

Corpsmen are honorary Marines (especially the ones with combat arms 03 & etc) since they do all the same ground pounding as grunts