I Love the OR and I only want to treat kids

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by Doc145, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Doc145

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi all, 3rd year student here

I've always wanted to do pediatrics-- but I loved my surgery rotations a lot more than I wanted to.
    Besides pediatric surgery (which is incredibly competitive) and anesthesia, would I have any options for an OR heavy specialty after a pediatrics residency?

Cards? GI? PICU?

2. Oso

Oso
    Physician 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Other surgical specialities like ENT, optho, etc then do fellowship in peds.

Cards you can do cath, GI can do scopes, PICU you may do some procedural sedation, but obviously If you want significant time in the OR you need to do a surgical specialty or anesthesia.

3. shepardsun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Consider combined peds/anesthesia. I did sequential (3 year peds residency), now halfway done with anesthesia. Wouldn't trade the experience I had during my peds training for the world, can't imagine not being in the OR. PICU and peds anesthesia common pathways with this background, very desirable pedigree for academics.

4. Stitch

Stitch Jedi Ninja Wizard
    Moderator Physician Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just want to give a caveat about some of the peds subspecialties mentioned like GI and cards. You will certain get some OR time with those, but there will be a lot of outpatient clinic type appointments. Probably the majority of your time will be spent out of the OR. Cards cath might be an exception if you work at a place with a big heart center, but that means doing an extra year of fellowship, and it depends on job availability. Your best bet if you simply need to be in the OR is some sort of surgery residency (ENT, gen surge, etc) and do peds from there. Anesthesia is also a great route.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    WheezyBaby likes this.