I Love the OR and I only want to treat kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc145

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, 3rd year student here

I've always wanted to do pediatrics-- but I loved my surgery rotations a lot more than I wanted to.
Besides pediatric surgery (which is incredibly competitive) and anesthesia, would I have any options for an OR heavy specialty after a pediatrics residency?

Cards? GI? PICU?

Members don't see this ad.

Other surgical specialities like ENT, optho, etc then do fellowship in peds.

Cards you can do cath, GI can do scopes, PICU you may do some procedural sedation, but obviously If you want significant time in the OR you need to do a surgical specialty or anesthesia.

Consider combined peds/anesthesia. I did sequential (3 year peds residency), now halfway done with anesthesia. Wouldn't trade the experience I had during my peds training for the world, can't imagine not being in the OR. PICU and peds anesthesia common pathways with this background, very desirable pedigree for academics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to give a caveat about some of the peds subspecialties mentioned like GI and cards. You will certain get some OR time with those, but there will be a lot of outpatient clinic type appointments. Probably the majority of your time will be spent out of the OR. Cards cath might be an exception if you work at a place with a big heart center, but that means doing an extra year of fellowship, and it depends on job availability. Your best bet if you simply need to be in the OR is some sort of surgery residency (ENT, gen surge, etc) and do peds from there. Anesthesia is also a great route.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely surgery subspecialty and peds fellowship if you still really like peds. Can also fall back on your non peds credentials if the peds volume isn't there. Peds/anesthesia/picu is great if you wanna train forever, go into academics, and not make that much money.

Reactions: 1 user
Peds GI is gonna be tons of chronic abdominal pain. You're definitely not scoping anywhere near adult GI. And good luck finding a peds interventional cards job.

Peds GI is gonna be tons of chronic abdominal pain. You're definitely not scoping anywhere near adult GI. And good luck finding a peds interventional cards job.
can you please elaborate about the peds interventional cards? I am very interested in it but its been difficult finding information about it like lifestyle, salary, competition for fellowship spots, etc.

Do you see yourself needing to be in the OR operating? That is the only question you should ask.

Any specialty that isn't Peds Anesthesia will have significant clinic time. If you want max peds OR time then do anesthesia with a peds fellowship and work at a dedicated pediatrics hospital

Hi all, 3rd year student here

I've always wanted to do pediatrics-- but I loved my surgery rotations a lot more than I wanted to.
Besides pediatric surgery (which is incredibly competitive) and anesthesia, would I have any options for an OR heavy specialty after a pediatrics residency?

Cards? GI? PICU?

Cardiology, GI and PICU - none of these would give you any significant time in the OR. Do you mind me asking what you liked about the OR? That will help in giving you advice. Because anesthesia is totally different from being a surgeon.

Lol being in the OR is so vague..do you want to be a surgeon or not? That’s the only question. If you need to be a surgeon you have to become a surgeon, everything else is secondary to that question..