I love this gig

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wake up tired, 4-5 hours of sleep per night. 6 am power rounds every morning. Next, on to brief the OR staff for the case we called in from the night team's overflow. Then maybe a quick granola bar or banana before the 5-hour adhesiolysis. Day continues until the next meal, likely at 4 or 5 pm. Round, diurese him, bolus her, get out at 7 or 8.

Get things done. Take care of the sick. Make patients better.

I had a realization today. Despite how busy this residency lifestyle is, we get **** done.

Had a STAT consult today where the consulting attending asked me, as I was evaluating a patient for possible acute mesenteric ischemia in the setting of 4 previous ventral hernia repairs, "What do you think the vitiligo on the abdominal wall is from? It's quite rare to see such a limited case of vitiligo, without signs of a burn, in a patient who is otherwise stable, without a history of abdominal burns."

There have been times I've contemplated quitting or switching to medicine, primarily for the stress and anxiety I face every waking hour at the hospital. But realizing that I'd be surrounded by bosses that wax poetic and miss the boat entirely, I'd rather quit medicine altogether and drive a truck.

It's surgery or bust. 8 months in and loving it.

Members don't see this ad.

Wake up tired, 4-5 hours of sleep per night. 6 am power rounds every morning. Next, on to brief the OR staff for the case we called in from the night team's overflow. Then maybe a quick granola bar or banana before the 5-hour adhesiolysis. Day continues until the next meal, likely at 4 or 5 pm. Round, diurese him, bolus her, get out at 7 or 8.

I had a realization today. Despite how busy this residency lifestyle is, we get **** done.

Had a STAT consult today where the consulting attending asked me, as I was evaluating a patient for possible acute mesenteric ischemia in the setting of 4 previous ventral hernia repairs, "What do you think the vitiligo on the abdominal wall is from? It's quite rare to see such a limited case of vitiligo, without signs of a burn, in a patient who is otherwise stable, without a history of abdominal burns."

There have been times I've contemplated quitting or switching to medicine, primarily for the stress and anxiety I face every waking hour at the hospital. But realizing that I'd be surrounded by bosses that wax poetic and miss the boat entirely, I'd rather quit medicine altogether and drive a truck.

I like your enthusiasm, but it's a little over the top. Somewhere, Misterioso is reading this thread and shedding tears of joy.

Members don't see this ad :)

When do you work in the crack you're clearly smoking?

I agree I would quit medicine if I couldn't do surgery but let me tell you....a lot of this **** gets old.

I agree I would quit medicine if I couldn't do surgery but let me tell you....a lot of this **** gets old.
Blunt trauma is real high on my list for that...along with a thrombosed graft.

To me this is the main difference between surgery and every other specialty in the hospital...or not in the hospital as the case usually is. I think its okay to take some pride in that, we suffer for it so might as well own it. I think this is also the time of year a lot of people start to feel really good about their role as a PGY whatever.

I'm with the OP on this one and try to bring some enthusiasm to my day. Some days that is harder than others and a lot of this stuff does get old but I still like getting things done and taking care of people.

To me the parts that get old quickly have been:
-dragging medical students to cases/rounds kicking and screaming
-arguing over paperwork/administration garbage with nursing/pharmacy
-waiting for the OR staff to give you a room for a case that needs to go as the attending whining/crying begins to reach a dull roar, etc

Other than that its kind of fun most days.

I like your enthusiasm, but it's a little over the top. Somewhere, Misterioso is reading this thread and shedding tears of joy.

Possibly after "having his way" with the anesthesiologist.
Oh I miss him... :(

He'd also find a way to be taking real call as well.

RIP

1259558_o.gif