I`m a Sophmore in High School and i'm looking for advise.

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
I recently came upon the thought of becoming a physician a couple months ago, and i just found these forums today. I live in michigan and I would like to know what universitys i should look into applying to. My GPA is around 3.95 so I think I got a shot at any university. My grandparents work at MSU and my mom went there as well. So MSU would be a #1 choice for me. What other universitys are worth looking into. I`m also not shure about what field to go into. I know I should make this choice myself but, Any kind of help you can give me I appreciate. I dont want to be a surgeon becasue that seems like too much pressure having to operate on someone. I don't know what the other fields are about except Family Practise. I`ve got time but It's best to seek help earlier then later.

Thanks to any help you provide

0T6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Toronto/Ottawa
Status
If you're in high school, you have to do an undergraduate degree first, so don't worry about surgery.. that decision is about 10 years away :)

Pick somewhere you'll feel comfortable with and offers programs and courses you feel you'd enjoy and excel in.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Puppet said:
universitys...My GPA is around 3.95 so I think I got a shot at any university....shure...Practise...
You sure about that 3.95? :p

GPA is not everything, especially when it comes to college or med school. You really only need a run-of-the-mill 4-year state university, in which case, I'm sure you're fine, but med schools call for a lot more than that.

In the meantime, keep strong in your sciences, see if you can shadow a few doctors (to see what you might be getting into), and save up money.

tarheel04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
Status
I think you should learn how to spell before doing anything else.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Puppet said:
I recently came upon the thought of becoming a physician a couple months ago, and i just found these forums today. I live in michigan and I would like to know what universitys i should look into applying to. My GPA is around 3.95 so I think I got a shot at any university. My grandparents work at MSU and my mom went there as well. So MSU would be a #1 choice for me. What other universitys are worth looking into. I`m also not shure about what field to go into. I know I should make this choice myself but, Any kind of help you can give me I appreciate. I dont want to be a surgeon becasue that seems like too much pressure having to operate on someone. I don't know what the other fields are about except Family Practise. I`ve got time but It's best to seek help earlier then later.

Start drinking and doing drugs..and dont forget the unprotected S*X

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
I could work on my spelling but I dont go back and check for mistakes either.
My grades really are good. It comes from alot of effort. I really believe i'm the hardest working student I know in my school. Why all the negative feed back though. You dont know me enought to tell me to get the hell out. This is a medical forum, I though doctors were nice to people.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tarheel04 said:
I think you should learn how to spell before doing anything else.
Haha, there are so many typos and errors that he's got to be a troll.

fateema368

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Minnesota
Status
You've been thinking about it for a couple of months and your still in high school hmm....
Suck it up and do some research. If your still interested after every negative thing you've read about the profession, then try a BS/MD program. To land one you'll need to start your science pre-rec's now, and begin to start studying for the SATs. Try to complete your last year of high school at a local college. You'll also need to maintain that GPA with AP and college credit.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Puppet said:
I could work on my spelling but I dont go back and check for mistakes either.
My grades really are good. It comes from alot of effort. I really believe i'm the hardest working student I know in my school. Why all the negative feed back though. You dont know me enought to tell me to get the hell out. This is a medical forum, I though doctors were nice to people.

Dr's yes, premed no.

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
I`m sorry, I spend most of my time on internet computer forums, so I make a habit of typing at an elementary school level.

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
You guys act like you have to be a rocket scientist to be a physician. I work hard to get an A in every class. If I get into college I'll work even harder. I'm determined to get the career of my choice.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It doesn't really matter where you go to undergrad, so long as you do well and laern what you need to know for the MCAT. However, it certainly doesn't hurt to go to Harvard. If you also have a really high SAT score (1400+) you might want to look into a combined B.S./M.D. degree program. Buy a copy of the AAMC's Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) and that will tell you almost everything there is to know about the medical school admissions process. The new 2006-2007 edition should be coming out this April and it costs $25.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Puppet said:
I`m sorry, I spend most of my time on internet computer forums, so I make a habit of typing at an elementary school level.

Dude, don't sweat it. If you are really serious then get a copy of the Medical
School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) from www.aamc.org and look up joint B.S. / M.D. programs. Many schools have them they require a high GPA and a very very strong ACT or SAT score. They allow you to get your combined undergrad and MD in about 7 years ( some 6yrs). Off had I know: Ohio State, Boston, Brown, Michigan, NYU, GW have this program, but there are many more. Good luck and don't get jaded by SDN we spend to much time in the library, not enough time interacting socially.

Dr.Cait

Awesome Registered User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Upstate NY
Status
Finally, something I can help with! I am also in the same boat as you (I'm a junior in HS). I have recieved priceless advice here and my suggestion to you is to hang around and just read a little. Read what these people have to say, because you might learn a lot. At this point, I am almost sure that I would like to go into the medical field, but I have to add that "almost" because I will not be 100% sure for a long time. Right now, I would suggest volunteering in a local hospital so you can see if you are comfortable in a clinical setting. Also, before you dive head-first into becoming a doctor, make sure it's what YOU want to be doing with your life. Honestly, I have never done well in science or math, but I am extremely interested in medicine, and the science behind it.

And don't worry about a specialty now, you will have plenty of time to think about that. Good luck, and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to PM me!

P.S.
knowing how to spell "sure" might come in handy when writing your application essays for college. ;)

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
No, when I type in fun message boards I don't capitalize the "I"s or perfect my grammer in any way. Now when I write papers for school I review and revise everything I type. I'm two different people when I'm on different forums.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Dear high schoolers,
I commend your determination, but please don't forget about the Sex, Drugs and Rock -n- Roll. It is an integral part of the adolescent experience.

Zondeare

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Puppet said:
You guys act like you have to be a rocket scientist to be a physician. I work hard to get an A in every class. If I get into college I'll work even harder. I'm determined to get the career of my choice.
Puppet,

There are people in this forum that have wanted to be a doctor for more than a decade. They have fought and struggled and devoted more time that you can even imagine right now in order to get the priviledge of studying medicine. Some of them have gotten rejected from their top choices of schools. It's not because they haven't worked hard. Sometimes it's just bad timing or bad luck. Maybe their application was behind 20 perfect MCATs and they just couldn't compete with that.

Working hard will get you far in life. It MIGHT get you into medical school. Medicine takes more than hard work though. It takes passion, commitment, and dedication. Two months just isn't a long enough time for most premeds/med students to take you too seriously. Plus, you're in 10th grade. You're 15 or 16. More than 75% of people who start college as pre-med drop out of the program. Half of the remaining can't get accepted anywhere after working toward that goal for years.

Yes, it's important for you to start looking around at where you want to be in a few years. Please, ask questions, but premed people (and med people), get put off by someone coming in and telling them that working hard will do everything. Sometimes working hard isn't good enough. A lot of us have learned that lesson. Please understand our lack of idealism.

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
Thanks for being one of the few people that felt the need to help. I spelt "Shure" wrong because Shure is a brand of headphones I often recommend to people at audio forums.

Old_Mil

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Earth
Status
Attending Physician
Puppet said:
I live in michigan and I would like to know what universitys i should look into applying to. My GPA is around 3.95 so I think I got a shot at any university.
Hey Puppet,

Congratulations on your current GPA by the way. I'd say the single most important thing that you can do as a high school student to ensure that you get into medical school is to go to a small college for your undergrad. There are plenty of people who get into medical school after graduating from larger schools, but you want to go to a school where you maximize your access to the school's resources. That won't happen if you're sitting in a freshmen chemistry class with 500 other people, or waiting in a line with 45 other people for an hour to ask a question during office hours.

I'd rule out any school with more than 5,000 students for my undergrad based on size alone.

Good luck!

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
I'm sorry for my ignorance as well, I really have no idea how much of a challenge it is to be accepted into med school. It's just when I look at my career options I can't see myself being anything other then a Doctor.

Zondeare

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Puppet said:
I'm sorry for my ignorance as well, I really have no idea how much of a challenge it is to be accepted into med school. It's just when I look at my career options I can't see myself being anything other then a Doctor.
The best advice I can give you is to go to a university where you'll be happy and not in much debt (you'll be in enough debt for med school). If you're happy, you'll do better and you'll get the most out of the college experience. A lot of growing up happens in college. Make sure you have fun doing it. Your career will come. If it's medicine, you'll drift towards medicine in college because you can't stay away. If it's not medicine, you'll soon change your mind. Choose a college NOT based on medicine, but based on what you want in a college (size, location, name, quality, programs, etc).

s137mack

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Status
Hi!

I am a 3rd year student in a 6 year combinded BS/MD program, so my experience is a little bit different from the rest. I would suggest you get a job and do something fun or something you enjoy and save up some money. You are going to be working your butt off in college to try to get into to school and working even harder while in medical school, so have some fun now.

I, personally, didn't know I wanted to be a doctor until Junior year....so don't worry. :)

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Visit site
Status
Old_Mil said:
I'd rule out any school with more than 5,000 students for my undergrad based on size alone.
If you do this, you will be discounting a large number of good schools. You've got to remember that if you go to a school where the faculty to student ratio is 10:1, you will more than likely also go to a school where the research facilities are, at best, second rate. If you're interested in doing research (a great way to get looked at by schools), then small colleges are not necessarily the best route.

My undergrad had approximately 17,000 students. I never once waited in line behind other students to talk to a professor. In fact, most professors encouraged us to email them and they would usually respond in less than 24 hours.

You can get into medical school from big schools, as well. What it all boils down to is three things: 1.) Your college academic record (GPA, MCAT) 2.) your social skills (Extra curriculars, can you hold a conversation with the interviewer) and 3.) did you convince the interviewer that you are sincere in your desire to practice medicine.

Guys, don't give puppet a hard time about his questions. Yeah, if he's a troll, then he's a jerk. But if not, we have all been in his place wanting to know where to go next.

Puppet, my advice to you is to keep working hard in high school and learn as much as possible so that when you get to college, the basic science (general chem, bio, physics) will largely be a review. Then work hard so that you get A's in all of those classes. Don't freak out if organic turns out to be hard...very few people find it to be easy and if you mess up in that class, the ADCOMS understand.

But make sure you get involved in organizations at your school (another thing that is more difficult at small schools). Do research. Have fun. Med schools don't like people who spent four years in college doing nothing but reading in their dorms.

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
I agree with the "stop and smell the roses" camp.

Congrats on your high school success, but don't spend all of your time studying or online.

Your choice of undergrad school shouldn't matter much, just be certain you do well. I've known many people with 4.0's and terrible MCAT's get in; plenty of people w/ good MCAT's and not so great grades don't get in.

Grades indicate what you are WILLING to do and that goes a long way...

If it's what you want you can get it done.

Good luck!

By the way, I'm envious as I was about 26 when I decided what I wanted to do "when I grew up." :laugh:

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Puppet, you are in Michigan, here you go. Michigan State University B.S. / M.D. program stats

200-2001 entering class
Avg GPA - 4.0 ( High School )
Avg ACT - 30
Avg SAT - 1416

To apply
- you must be in the top 10% of your graduating class.
- you must have at least a 3.6
- ACT 29 or higher
- SAT 1280 or Higher
- Meaningful exposure to medicine is strongly encouraged, i.e. required

Check out www.chm.msu.edu Click on MD admissions

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
When I woke up today I really knew absolutly nothing about what it takes to become a Doctor( Other then it takes alot of school). Thanks alot to everyone that posted.

Does anyone know of specific undergrad schools I should be looking at.

tarheel04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
Status
Why don't you get out and do something constructive like sports with your time rather than sitting in front of the computer looking at forums. Have fun in high school. I sure wish I could do it all over again. ok, not really, but you've got a long way to go before you worry about getting into med school.

Will Ferrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
My friend, you are a puppet.

No - but really. You don't want medical school in your mind that early.

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
Actually I`ve been playing ice hockey for 12 years now, and started playing guitar last year.

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
Are you implying that I'm fake. I got the name puppet, from Metallica's album "Master of Puppets". So yeah I'm already doing the Rock' N' Roll stuff.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
Puppet said:
Are you implying that I'm fake. I got the name puppet, from Metallica's album "Master of Puppets". So yeah I'm already doing the Rock' N' Roll stuff.

Ride the Lightning Dude !!!!!!!!

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Puppet,

Stay motivated, but in all honesty you're too young right now to have a true idea of what medicine really entails. You can be the smartest kid in your county in high school and it won't be a cakewalk into med school. More than anything, you need to understand yourself...many high schoolers (myself included when I was where you are about 8 years ago...4.0 along with a 1550 SAT, all-state tennis and numerous awards, presidencies, and medical volunteer experience...ended up at Johns Hopkins for undergrad and now Georgetown for my master's) feel extremely confident about doing whatever they set their mind to. This game is not as easy as it looks, believe me. Every step you take forward will make the previous work you have done look like child's play...it gets harder and harder until you explode or become a doctor. That being said, never give up on what you want to do, just search these forums for success stories, there are plenty. I would suggest that you do a substantial bit of medical volunteer work and/or shadow a doctor. Keep in mind you will have to do this again when you go to college. The SAT is a joke compared to the MCAT...and the MCAT is a joke compared to the USMLE (medical board exams).

If you want it, you can do it. Prepare for a long, tough but ultimately satisfying ride. Be sure that you want it. If you want money, I am not kidding when I say that investment banking is the way to go, not medicine. It's too much pain for just money. What it gives you is hopefully a satisfied patient and a satisfied you at the end of the day. That satisfaction is priceless. Good luck :luck:

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What the hell is this thread doing here, I thought I told the OP to get the hell out!

High school is much too early to get addicted to SDN, if thou art wise thou shall heed my advice.

heeter

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
Look my man, heed the advice of the old fogies here -- go out, get laid, get drunk, *cough* do some drugs *cough*, go to school. At least wait til you go to college before you worry about applying to med school. If you will it, it is no dream.

Oh, and if you are a troll, kiss my grits. I have a set of Shure E3's, good phones.

Dr.Cait

Awesome Registered User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Upstate NY
Status
Homer Doughnuts said:
Dear high schoolers,
I commend your determination, but please don't forget about the Sex, Drugs and Rock -n- Roll. It is an integral part of the adolescent experience.
Don't forget about the partying all night on fridays and saturdays, the skipping of classes, and the "sleepovers" which are actually road trips to Canada! ;)

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Puppet said:
Thanks for being one of the few people that felt the need to help. I spelt "Shure" wrong because Shure is a brand of headphones I often recommend to people at audio forums.
Shure you did. :rolleyes:

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will Ferrell said:
My friend, you are a puppet.

No - but really. You don't want medical school in your mind that early.
Um, I've been planning on med school since I was in junior high, and there are plenty of doctors who knew when they were even younger.

avinash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
Status
Puppet said:

lol.......................

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
Lol, wow. I cant believe what i was saying back then. I was a sophomore and Im a Senior now. My career choices have completely changed. I think I decided a doctor wasn't for me after all the hard work it took. I really had no idea. After that I moved onto business because I wanted to make money. I realized I had no experience in business and it probably wasn't something I would really wanted to do so I took a break. I had no idea what to do then I went on college confidential and looked at the engineering forums. I thought engineering would be pretty cool. I got to design the new ipod and make a decent amount. Then I figured that designing is something I wasn't good at and could be pretty stressful. This was after I toured MSU's college of engineering. So I dropped engineering and I switched to the career I wanted to be before thinking about a doctor. A Pharmacist. Pharmacy is where my heart is at it seems and I shouldnt have abandoned it in the first place. Now I have all my college apps majoring in Electrical engineering.

The point is that you change your mind alot. Its going to happen. I didnt believe you guys and I should have.

BTW my GPA is not a 3.95, I just got a 3.95 that marking period. I really have a 3.6 with a 27(retaking) on my ACT.

stoppushingit

stupid savant
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2006
Status
Lol, wow. I cant believe what i was saying back then. I was a sophomore and Im a Senior now. My career choices have completely changed. I think I decided a doctor wasn't for me after all the hard work it took. I really had no idea. After that I moved onto business because I wanted to make money. I realized I had no experience in business and it probably wasn't something I would really wanted to do so I took a break. I had no idea what to do then I went on college confidential and looked at the engineering forums. I thought engineering would be pretty cool. I got to design the new ipod and make a decent amount. Then I figured that designing is something I wasn't good at and could be pretty stressful. This was after I toured MSU's college of engineering. So I dropped engineering and I switched to the career I wanted to be before thinking about a doctor. A Pharmacist. Pharmacy is where my heart is at it seems and I shouldnt have abandoned it in the first place. Now I have all my college apps majoring in Electrical engineering.

The point is that you change your mind alot. Its going to happen. I didnt believe you guys and I should have.

BTW my GPA is not a 3.95, I just got a 3.95 that marking period. I really have a 3.6 with a 27(retaking) on my ACT.
congrats on settling down, BUT trust me, your mind is going to change a million times in college. maybe you won't graduate with a major in EE.

btw, business isn't the only way to make money, as you may have noticed. business as a career choice can often be risky and unstable. just fyi.

OP
P

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Mount Pleasant, MI
Status
congrats on settling down, BUT trust me, your mind is going to change a million times in college. maybe you won't graduate with a major in EE.

btw, business isn't the only way to make money, as you may have noticed. business as a career choice can often be risky and unstable. just fyi.
I should have made myself clear. I dont want to go EE anymore, but my college apps have that major.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I should have made myself clear. I dont want to go EE anymore, but my college apps have that major.
This is still a bit confusing. Did you submit your preferred major as EE before changing your mind?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
It is relatively easy to change your major, even after you start college. Don't worry about it -- you may change your mind 5 times before next Fall.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
*Slams head on desk*

Nothing personal against OP...These threads seem to be a recurring theme.

blackfuryWRX

10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm glad you've finally found something that you feel very passionate about. Like everyone said, keep an open mind because I'm sure you'll discover something you've never thought was possible and may switch yet again. At any rate, good luck with things and thanks for the update. :cool: :thumbup:

crazy_cavalier

T3-Weighted
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2005
Far away from my pillow -_-
Status
Resident [Any Field]

:laugh: 2 years of HS :laugh: