dbutz02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Status
I applied for the HSPS and in the middle of the process started having doubts but didn't want to limit my options and went ahead and submitted the application. I just recently got news of my acceptance into the program and I've decided I don't want to do it. I realized my main motives were finacially based and that isn't the right reason.
So any advice on how to tell my recruiter I don't want it?

DrBloodmoney

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
At a microscope
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Don't sign the paperwork... simple as that.

Tell the recruiter to go screw himself... simple as that.

The application was just that... an application. It is most certainly not a legally binding contract to spend time in uniform.

Life's too short to worry about hurting non-essential people's feelings. And to make it easier: your recruiter works on commission (essentially) to get you into the program...

texdrake

Stand-Up Philosopher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Ohio or Texas
home.earthlink.net
Status
dbutz02 said:
I applied for the HSPS and in the middle of the process started having doubts but didn't want to limit my options and went ahead and submitted the application. I just recently got news of my acceptance into the program and I've decided I don't want to do it. I realized my main motives were finacially based and that isn't the right reason.
So any advice on how to tell my recruiter I don't want it?
Agreed, just tell them you are unwilling to go through with it. It is still early so they can fill that spot.

I would like to point out though that recruiters are suppose to inform you and have you commit verbally during the interview to taking the scholarship should you receive it. So should you again change your mind and go through with it you will have to try with a different service and even they may not take you because of that. Still most that decided against it aren't going to suddenly change their mind again.

Do the pluses and minuses and decide, everyone gets cold feet, some act on it. Pick what is in your best interest, not theirs.

OP
D

dbutz02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Status
Thanks for the advice. All of what you've said I needed reassurance on. He told me I have 10 days to decided. Is this correct or can I hold out longer to consider my options more carefully... Basically to go over it again.
One question also...If my internship, residency and potential fellowship takes longer than 4 years do I accumulate more years of pay back? This was one thing I wasn't sure about. Thanks

qqq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
Status
dbutz02 said:
Thanks for the advice. All of what you've said I needed reassurance on. He told me I have 10 days to decided. Is this correct or can I hold out longer to consider my options more carefully... Basically to go over it again.
One question also...If my internship, residency and potential fellowship takes longer than 4 years do I accumulate more years of pay back? This was one thing I wasn't sure about. Thanks
My understanding is that if the military is not giving you financial assistance for the above things, you don't incur more commitment. You only incur commitment when the military is paying for something. Read some of the other threads on this board though, because getting your residency & fellowship when you want it is in no way guaranteed in the military.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
dbutz02 said:
My personal impression is that the military would love to have you anytime and the 10 day "deadline" is just trying to pressure you one way or another now. They need physicians too badly for them to refuse you in the future if you decide you want to sign.

As for the quoted question, if you're on a 2 year scholarship your residency and fellowship may not be longer than 2 years in the military (this does not include internship), or you will incur 1 year of additional commitment for each year of additional training. If you sign, I hope you like 3 year residencies.

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
dbutz02 said:
They can barely give these scholarships away.....take your time to make up your mind....It'll be there when you want it.

Trajan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
I applied for Army, Navy, and Air Force, got all three, went Navy. The Army recruiter (actually his boss, some E-6) called me up and chewed me out (literally -- said I wasted their time). The Air Force recruiters said I was making a mistake, but were otherwise gracious.

One more reason I'm glad to be in the Navy and not the Army.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Trajan said:
I applied for Army, Navy, and Air Force, got all three, went Navy. The Army recruiter (actually his boss, some E-6) called me up and chewed me out (literally -- said I wasted their time). The Air Force recruiters said I was making a mistake, but were otherwise gracious.

One more reason I'm glad to be in the Navy and not the Army.
That's hilarious. Screw the E-6, does your phone not hang up like mine does? I would either have hung up on him or called his supervisor to complain that he was harassing me.