I made a Scramble boo boo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been helping a friend, an IMG, with the residency application process. I have been doing my best to be as helpful as possible but still have to attend to my own responsibilities. In any case, based on some advice I received from someone else, and an oversight on my part, I didn't register through the NRMP website because we neither received any interview requests nor expected to participate in the matching part of the Match process. We did submit applications to 45 programs with the hope of maybe getting an interview, and then at worst hoping to participate in the Scramble.

As you have probably now deduced, we can't get the list of scramble programs having not registered for through the NRMP website.

Does anyone have any advice for me tomorrow? Perhaps its just comforting words at this point...

Thanks in advance for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you nor your friend can participate in the Scramble (or the "Scrumble" on SDN ;) ) if he/she did not register, nor are you privy to the list of unfilled positions.

After the Scramble, the list will be released and your friend and start contacting programs that might have positions still.

great. just to clarify, is that definitive?

If we for example, selectively called back only those schools where we had originally applied to ask them if they were taking scramble applications, and they were, would I still not be able to resubmit during the scramble process? Again, I applied to 45 schools but never registered for NRMP because I was not getting interviews.

also, a tangential question to make myself feel better: If an IMG does not pass a specific portion of the Step 2 CS (CIS) but has passed S1, and S2CK, are they eligible to apply if they retake the Step 2 CS before the match process ends?

great. just to clarify, is that definitive?

Since only those who have registered with NRMP have access to the list of unfilled programs, I'd say it is.

If we for example, selectively called back only those schools where we had originally applied to ask them if they were taking scramble applications, and they were, would I still not be able to resubmit during the scramble process? Again, I applied to 45 schools but never registered for NRMP because I was not getting interviews.

Is it we or I? Perhaps aPD can answer this - I cannot find any documentation that programs are required to take applications during the Scramble only from participants in the NRMP. Most programs however are going to want to have you use ERAS to submit your applications via their Scramble process.

also, a tangential question to make myself feel better: If an IMG does not pass a specific portion of the Step 2 CS (CIS) but has passed S1, and S2CK, are they eligible to apply if they retake the Step 2 CS before the match process ends?

So you weren't eligible for the match anyway? As an IMG, if you have not taken and passed all the exams required for ECFMG certification by the ROL deadline, you are removed from the match since you are ineligible. You are eligible if you take the exams and passed them before this deadline. If you applied this year with a failure and without a retake before the deadline, it is no wonder you weren't getting any interviews. Programs don't want someone they worry won't get certification. But yes, if you retake and pass before mid Feb next year you are eligible for participation in the match.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you knew you weren't going to be eligible because you failed the CS exam and now want the unfilled program list to try and scramble for a position.

WS is correct. Anyone is free to try and scramble -- regardless of whether you have registered with the NRMP, passed the USMLE, etc. Without the unfilled list, you'll be essentially guessing where to call but you are free to do so. You could start with last year's list and hope for repeats.