I made an exam day mistake...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATloser

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to keep details to a minimum...

During my first 10 break I was unsure how to keep track of time but luckily made it back to the screen as it switched over to the CARS screen.

Move forward to my 30 min lunch break-- I had the bright idea of taking my watch from my locker along to keep track of time.

Lets say the proctors weren't too happy to find out I had my watch when I was getting back into my locker to move on the B/B section. Well they reported me and said that they would note that "I presented the watch to them for inspection." They couldn't give me definite word on if my score would be valid.

Any advice on how I should proceed with finding out if my score will be valid?

Im an idiot, I know :whistle:

P.S. it is a smartwatch so I have a feeling that can only work against me

Members don't see this ad.

I feel u man... just took the damn thing today and holy cow I felt like I was in prison. The proctors just seemed miserable- they all had that same "don't even try" look that was somewhat reminiscent of Mrs.Flunk-u-out from third grade. Any slight deviation from standard procedure that they freak out, as they did when I took a bit too long to shut the door after I got done. Luckily no incidents tho, but I won't be surprised if they took pleasure in our suffering. Those who apply for jobs like these tend to be pretty self selecting, personality wise.

Reactions: 3 users
This is ******ed. What do they expect from you? upload every MCAT question found online in your smart watch and flip through it during exam? If they really want to punish you, they should've allowed you to continue "cheating" with your watch. You will get your punishment when you get your score back.

What the, they didn't check your sleeves before you came back nor did they check you with the metal detector? I hope they didn't make it like you purposely concealed it from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is ******ed. What do they expect from you? upload every MCAT question found online in your smart watch and flip through it during exam? If they really want to punish you, they should've allowed you to continue "cheating" with your watch. You will get your punishment when you get your score back.
I dont think my first gen. Pebble watch would be capable of that haha.

What the, they didn't check your sleeves before you came back nor did they check you with the metal detector? I hope they didn't make it like you purposely concealed it from them.
Let me clarify. After finishing CARS, I went to my locker to grab my lunch but also grabbed my watch to keep track of time. When I was putting away my drink thermos and left over lunch they saw the watch in my hand. It was never taken into the test room.

Let me clarify. After finishing CARS, I went to my locker to grab my lunch but also grabbed my watch to keep track of time. When I was putting away my drink thermos and left over lunch they saw the watch in my hand. It was never taken into the test room.

WOW, that's even worse! Couldn't they just politely tell you to put the watch back in the locker? That is just a dehumanizing experience you had. I would raise hell if my test was voided over this, yeesh.

Reactions: 1 user
That's really terrible. :(

Does anyone know what their feelings are on chapstick? I have a mild addiction and have practice only using it during breaks, but now i'm worried I won't even be able to use it then...

That's really terrible. :(

Does anyone know what their feelings are on chapstick? I have a mild addiction and have practice only using it during breaks, but now i'm worried I won't even be able to use it then...

Haha I'm an addict as well. My proctors wouldn't allow it in the test room, but I used chapstick on all my breaks. This could vary by test site but I imagine you should be fine for usage during breaks.

Haha I'm an addict as well. My proctors wouldn't allow it in the test room, but I used chapstick on all my breaks. This could vary by test site but I imagine you should be fine for usage during breaks.
Just called them and they confirmed that it's okay for breaks just not in the testing room. Thank god, since I can't imagine having to wean myself off while stressing over studying! haha Thanks for the confirmation and solidarity.

I spoke with this guy who's phone went off... The proctor called him back to turn it off (in his locker). While he was turning it off, she yelled at him for using it and said she was going to report him. I don't know the details beyond that, and it's likely that his story was biased... but he still got his score from that exam.

I know this might not be what you want to hear, but the proctors' actioned are entirely justifiable and even understandable. They are tasked with maintaining an absolute standardized experience that's devoid of even the slightest inklings that someone could gain an unfair advantage. The extent to which proctors go often seems silly and paranoid, but it is much better that they remain this vigilant and uptight instead of having them lighten up and potentially letting cheaters slip through the cracks. It is their responsibility, as the middlemen between AAMC and us, to report any incidences where someone may have broken protocol. Theoratically speaking, someone could review a couple B/B concepts they're rusty on during lunch if they had a smartwatch. The rules are very clearly laid out about any form of watches or electronic device use.

That said, I really do genuinely hope that AAMC is understanding of your situation and doesn't penalize you. For future reference, whenever I've had any standardized tests, I leave all my belongings (phone, watch, bracelets, etc.) locked in my glove compartment and only take my car keys, ID, eyedrops, ChapStick, and lunch inside with me. It makes my life a lot easier/simpler to travel light at the test center, and it also eliminates any possibility of a misunderstanding like this occurring.

I had worried about that, too, but I just took the wrapper off so there were no words/numbers anywhere so if my proctors had a problem with it they could check it and see that there was nothing there. In the end I was glad I did since it was one less thing to think about.

I thought it was super weird how there were no clocks anywhere in the waiting/lunch area at my center. The person would tell you what time it was when you signed out of the testing room, and I knew how long the breaks were supposed to be, but that didn't help much with no clocks. I got back from the lunch break with 12 minutes left on the break timer because, well, paranoia.

Update for anyone who might have a similar situation in the future: an AAMC rep. emailed me a warning letter week or two ago stating that they wouldn't investigate further into the matter.

Here's to hoping my focus wasn't shattered as badly as I recall on my B/B and P/S sections. :nailbiting: ..Score 2 weeks in counting...

Update for anyone who might have a similar situation in the future: an AAMC rep. emailed me a warning letter week or two ago stating that they wouldn't investigate further into the matter.

Here's to hoping my focus wasn't shattered as badly as I recall on my B/B and P/S sections. :nailbiting: ..Score 2 weeks in counting...
Any idea if this warning letter gets sent to the schools you apply to?