I made it! (so far)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who's been following my "journey" to pharm. school..

I left Michigan (for good) on Monday afternoon and made a 33 hour drive in 27 hours (I stopped at night). I moved into my Glendale, AZ apartment on Weds afternoon and started buying some furniture to fill this puppy up. Orientation is sometime in August, and school starts in September! I've always been excited to start, but it's finally hit home that I've moved across the country, alone, to start school and basically a new life! Anyone else have a huge move coming up? I drove 15+ hours straight on Tuesday (not eating, and stopping ONLY for gas) and felt like I was going to lose my mind.

Anyone live around Glendale? Actually, anyone live around Glendale, and own a pickup truck? Actually, anyone live around Glendale, and own a pickup truck and have a strong back? Actually.. all of the above and have some hot female friends? :D

Jd

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like fun ;)

Can't believe you drove for 15+ hours straight. No offense, but that's kinda stupich. :p

Anyway, congrats on that pharm. school thing, i wish i could be where you are right now :(

Good luck on whatever you'r doing, jdpharmd.

I am glad you arrived safely, how do you like Glendale so far ?
So you didn't want to attend University of Michigan Pharmacy school ? I 'm just wondering if Midwestern University is 100 times better than UM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its always tough leaving friends and family for an unknown land, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the pace of life down there its really laid back. Don't worry, its only 100 degrees + until September, the other 8 months of the year are beautiful in So. AZ. I highly recommend a trip up to the Flagstaff/Sedona area when the heat gets unbearable.
As far as the ladies go, Phoenix has got to have one of the highest densities of fine women anywhere. Must have something to do with all that sunshine. Good luck getting the furniture up the stairs and have fun exploring this summer.

Good to see you arrived in Glendale safely, JD. Keep us posted on your adventures at pharm school!

Glad to see you've made the move to AZ safe and sound Jd! I take it you've only brought "the basics" with you (clothes, etc.) and are purchasing your furniture locally. Did you rent a truck for the move? Drag anyone down from Mich with you for cheap physical labor? Good luck with the rest of your move-in!

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
I drove 15+ hours straight on Tuesday (not eating, and stopping ONLY for gas) and felt like I was going to lose my mind.

How did you do it......pissing in a cup while driving?

:D

Originally posted by chunkyb
How did you do it......pissing in a cup while driving?

:D

I just peed when I stopped for gas. 12 gallon tank, 30 miles per gallon =360 miles/stop @ 80mph = 4.5 hours between pee breaks. :) No prob!

Jd

Hello JD;

It's amazing that the triple-digit temperatures feel less hot than in the East.

BTW, since you are here, I would suggest getting together a couple of summer reading materials.

1. Lippincott's Illustrated Review: Biochemistry. Prof. Parmley (the coordinator) is really nice and all, but teaches the 1st quarter SOB class for the PS-1s.

2. Ansel's Drug Dosage Forms (Green book). Bowman's class is pretty much rote memorization. The sooner you start, the better off you are.

3. Medical Terminology. A girl my year was teased about "micromastia" due to the fact she had no clue whatsoever about medical terminology. That, and Dean McAllister is the primary lecturer.

E-mail me if you want to tour the city. We're here in the summer too. Bell Road has every imaginable restaurant, and if you want a more lively scene, Scottsdale and Tempe provide for that nicely.

E-mail me if you get the opportunity during your move.

Jdpharmd. I think you stated that you will work during pharmacy school to reduce the amount of debt. How will you manage that? It is 3-year program and hence very intensive. How many hours will you work? Is it going to be a pharmacy related job?

The reason i am asking is because i am thinking of working too but a couple of my friends stated i should concentrate on my studies only.

Depends on what GPA you expect. At our school, you can keep a decent average (3.0) working 20 a week. I've pulled off 60 hours a week if I decide to ditch a couple of bad profs. JD/PharmD, I hope you know that you aren't going to make much of a dent in tuition while working, but you will probably pay off living expenses, particularly in our second year.

lord999, are you in the 3-year program or 4-year program?

Originally posted by Heyyyyy
Jdpharmd. I think you stated that you will work during pharmacy school to reduce the amount of debt. How will you manage that? It is 3-year program and hence very intensive. How many hours will you work? Is it going to be a pharmacy related job?

The reason i am asking is because i am thinking of working too but a couple of my friends stated i should concentrate on my studies only.

Actually I just looked at a few jobs yesterday. They all pay pretty well after I get my intern license, so I think that I'd like to at least try to work 10-15 hours/wk. 1st year was about $14/hr then $17/hr for 2nd year then $20/hr for third. $30/hr after school, but before passing the boards, and then whatever you can negotiate after passing... (45/hr?). Even at $14 or $15/hour, if I was to work 10-15 hours/wk, that would be around an extra $600-650/month (that pays all rent and utilities!). I am still going to have some huge loans, but when I went looking for a job, there were countless interns at the locations around here (near school) and we're the only pharmacy school around here, so I have to assume that they were balancing work and school. I've heard that summers are a little lighter than the rest of the year here.

Jd

Originally posted by lord999
Depends on what GPA you expect. At our school, you can keep a decent average (3.0) working 20 a week. I've pulled off 60 hours a week if I decide to ditch a couple of bad profs. JD/PharmD, I hope you know that you aren't going to make much of a dent in tuition while working, but you will probably pay off living expenses, particularly in our second year.

Yeah, no kidding. I could barely expect to make $8,000/year as a first year, and considering that tuition alone is 25k/year, I won't be making a significant impact in that at all. Still, it is money coming in, and maybe I can reduce some of my loan amounts, or just spend it and have a good time. :)

Jd