I majorly ****ed up my reputation in the lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So:

My lab uses an animal facility where we test the animals.

The lady of the animal room is a PhD and she is responsible for training, approving, maintaining everything.

She was going to train me in a certain test.

Try # 1 : we schedueled but i had some trouble with the keys and therefore couldn't get access to the room. So at 3pm when we were suppose to meet, i waited outside while she trained someone else (another person).

Try # 2: I made it to the first day of training, but for the day 2, i wrote her an email 30 mins before saying that i had a stomach flu n couldn't come.

She is particular about things, and i'm sure that she will write an email to my boss. :( FU**CK. last week, i was using the room for another test and didn't clean the floor (it looked fine to me, but to her, in her email she said it was "unacceptably dirty". i resolved that issue and will sweep everytime now, but this issue NOW will make me look very bad right?

I feel terrible and would have been easier for me to just have gone the training instead of this mental energy/bad mood that i have to deal with due to this.

so#@$#@$@ and have 2 big finals tomorrow. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just heard back from her. she said fine and get well soon.

Still, i'm alway worried about f**** up and coming across as unreliable, etc in the lab to my pI. :(

At least you got some experience to come out of it. Good luck on your finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Working in a lab takes organization, thinking ahead, planning your time, days ahead and thinking about your other commitments too and mitigating any thing that can take away from it.

Deep breaths. She sounded fine in her email so hopefully she wouldn't say anything to my PI.

Thank you. Working in a lab takes organization, thinking ahead, planning your time, days ahead and thinking about your other commitments too and mitigating any thing that can take away from it.

Deep breaths. She sounded fine in her email so hopefully she wouldn't say anything to my PI.

Hoping is foolish. Talk to her in person and explain yourself, apologize, and tell her you will improve. Do this before she has a chance to give a bad impression to your PI. From a PhD and PIs perspective you are young and will make mistakes. The important thing is that they see professional growth, and nothing demonstrates this more than admitting your mistakes and correcting them. This is based on 4+ years research experience with many mistakes made by myself. Also, don't be annoying with talking about how you will improve. Talk is cheap, just do it.