I matched derm and am now a PGY1. AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medschoolappl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sep 15th is around the corner. Happy to answer questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you see many DO derm applicants during your interview season? How many derm aways/sub-i's did you do? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What was USMLE Step 1 and how did you study/when did you start studying?

Is derm interesting to you?

Are you good at histo?

These AMAs are getting more and more ridiculous.

Dude, the OP made this same ama thread a couple months back... reminds me of the guy at my school last year who wouldn't stop talking about how he matched plastics. he actually held an event to discuss how he matched and listed himself as "featured speaker" and had a bunch of cringeworthy statistics on how hard it is to match.

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats OP you're going to be a dermatolgist. We get it. No need to start another AMA thread.

Reactions: 5 users
Is derm interesting to you?

Are you good at histo?
I love it but it's an acquired taste and not for everyone. People are often bored senseless when they first spend time in clinic. I think about it along 3 axis: 1) bread and butter. Obviously, acne and eczema gets a little dull after a while but patients care a lot, you have a lot to offer them, compliance is not an issue, and procedures mix up your day. Also, any specialty has its boring parts whether it's your 12th colonoscopy for a day or 5th stress test bread and butter gets boring 2) rare and unusual dermatoses that require a lot of thought, dermatopathological clinical-pathologic correlation, and have complex systemic therapies. Those are a lot of fun. 3) consultation derm, obviously a big part of residency and beyond if you chose an academic route. This includes skin signs of systemic illnesses as well as dermatologic emergencies. I love the later two and i think I'll appreciate the former when I have kids and other responsibilities.

I was not very good at histo but I love dermpath. Once you understand what you're looking at it's amazing to see the cellular level process of whatever tumor or eruption you are dealing with.

Did you do it in 4 years or 5?

What was the extent of your research involvement, and what do you think is the minimum number of pubs/presentations/abstracts that an applicant can have and still match derm, assuming that everything else is in order (260+ Step 1, high grades, good LOR's, good interview skills, etc)

Ask you anything? Ok

How many times were you beat up and stuffed in a locker during high school, and how did that influence your need to create these threads?

Reactions: 7 users
Ask you anything? Ok

How many times were you beat up and stuffed in a locker during high school, and how did that influence your need to create these threads?

Hey, thanks for the question!

I was actually fairly cool in high school; I'm also 6'3", 190lbs so I wasn't really bullied at all. I did have some influential experiences that I took with me though: I learned about the extent of vanity and the basic superficiality of broader society. I also learned that miscontents will question your motives in all cases so might as well do what you want to do and let the haters hate.

Members don't see this ad :)
this whole thing from top to bottom isn't even a humblebrag, it's just a straight up brag :vomit:

Reactions: 1 users

I was actually fairly cool in high school; I'm also 6'3", 190lbs so I wasn't really bullied at all. I did have some influential experiences that I took with me though: I learned about the extent of vanity and the basic superficiality of broader society. I also learned that miscontents will question your motives in all cases so might as well do what you want to do and let the haters hate.

6'3'' 190? Massive! How do you fit through the doors at the pimple clinic?

Where does one have to be at in life to be trolling a sdn thread at 7AM? Asking for a friend

Reactions: 3 users
Where does one have to be at in life to be trolling a sdn thread at 7AM? Asking for a friend

Excellent question. On the can after the morning cup of joe. It's where I find I do some of my best work. Thanks for the ? feel free to AMA.

Reactions: 6 users
Excellent question. On the can after the morning cup of joe. It's where I find I do some of my best work. Thanks for the ? feel free to AMA.
I'm all about the post-coffee morning dump which is where I am now. AMA about NYC public hospital bathrooms

Reactions: 7 users

Why didn't you do ortho?

Dude comes in here, ignores actual questions, and answers troll questions. Lame.

No hating here. You do you, girl! We'll all look forward to your third "ask me anything" thread in a couple of months.

These AMAs are getting more and more ridiculous.

Dude, the OP made this same ama thread a couple months back... reminds me of the guy at my school last year who wouldn't stop talking about how he matched plastics. he actually held an event to discuss how he matched and listed himself as "featured speaker" and had a bunch of cringeworthy statistics on how hard it is to match.

Congrats OP you're going to be a dermatolgist. We get it. No need to start another AMA thread.

Ask you anything? Ok

this whole thing from top to bottom isn't even a humblebrag, it's just a straight up brag :vomit:

I'm all about the post-coffee morning dump which is where I am now. AMA about NYC public hospital bathrooms

Dude comes in here, ignores actual questions, and answers troll questions. Lame.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Some people have questions and you're just drowning them out in noise.

If you don't find the dude's content interesting why pollute the thread? Just stay out ffs, obviously some people think his AMA is worthwhile.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't think OP is bragging. Reading through his reasons for liking derm, it feels like OP is trying really hard to rationalize picking a specialty that may not be something that he wants to do for the rest of his life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If someone is more interested in dermpath than derm clinic, would you recommend a "top" pathology residency vs. a "lower-tier" derm residency or is being derm-trained the better route regardless of the caliber/prestige of the residency/fellowship location?

Why didn't you do ortho?
If someone is more interested in dermpath than derm clinic, would you recommend a "top" pathology residency vs. a "lower-tier" derm residency or is being derm-trained the better route regardless of the caliber/prestige of the residency/fellowship location?

Dermpath is a very competitive specialty for the pathologist and requires a lot of research during residency. My impression is that if a dermatology Resident wants to do path later it is fairly straightforward to get. I'm not 100% sure though but the residents I met on my aways did not seem too concerned about matching path.

I don't think OP is bragging. Reading through his reasons for liking derm, it feels like OP is trying really hard to rationalize picking a specialty that may not be something that he wants to do for the rest of his life.

I personally think OP is finishing up 140 hours over 12 days in a row and uses these threads as a way to remind himself that there Are other ways to live life and to encourage others to learn more about the field he chose/learn from his experiences in anticipation of September 15th. But I agree he's probably an dingus.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Some people have questions and you're just drowning them out in noise.

If you don't find the dude's content interesting why pollute the thread? Just stay out ffs, obviously some people think his AMA is worthwhile.

If you actually took the time to read the thread, you would see that I asked a legitimate question:

Did you do it in 4 years or 5?

What was the extent of your research involvement, and what do you think is the minimum number of pubs/presentations/abstracts that an applicant can have and still match derm, assuming that everything else is in order (260+ Step 1, high grades, good LOR's, good interview skills, etc)

And then in my second post I called out OP for precisely what you're talking about: ignoring legitimate questions in favor of feeding the trolls.

I personally think OP is finishing up 140 hours over 12 days in a row and uses these threads as a way to remind himself that there Are other ways to live life and to encourage others to learn more about the field he chose/learn from his experiences in anticipation of September 15th. But I agree he's probably an dingus.

For the record, I never said OP is a dingus. Starting 3 threats in 3 different subforums is a bit too much for a personal reminder about "more to life". If your goal was to encourage others to learn more about the field they're applying to, you could, you know, start a threat about that.

I obviously have no firsthand knowledge of what goes on in OP's head, but if I was a betting man...my money would be on anxiety due to cold feet and rationalizations on SDN as a coping mechanism.

For the record, I never said OP is a dingus. Starting 3 threats in 3 different subforums is a bit too much for a personal reminder about "more to life". If your goal was to encourage others to learn more about the field they're applying to, you could, you know, start a threat about that.

I obviously have no firsthand knowledge of what goes on in OP's head, but if I was a betting man...my money would be on anxiety due to cold feet and rationalizations on SDN as a coping mechanism.

I'd prefer if OP didn't threaten anyone. This thread is aggressive enough.

Can i ask too?

I heard OP benches 400, started a 10m/year medical tech startup, discovered a cure for keratosis pilaris, and had sex with all the female actresses on game of thrones. We all need to learn some humility and listen to what this superior human specimen has to say.

Wait, he only matched General Dermatology? Nevermind I'm out.

If a dude I need to know length, if a chick I wanna know cup size

As a future doctor you should know that length is a seriously misleading (and inferior) measurement of penile dominance. The American Urological Association now recommends water displacement. cm^3 or gtfo

Reactions: 4 users
Ask you anything? Ok

As a future doctor you should know that length is a seriously misleading (and inferior) measurement of penile dominance. The American Urological Association now recommends water displacement. cm^3 or gtfo

Exactly. Length omits girth.

Having a Twizzler for a penis is nothing to write home about.

I am a doctor

and we all know there's upper and lower limits on length, while girth is most predictive of pleasure

Since this thread has devolved into pure ****posting, I just want to say that I'm packing 1314.5 cm^3* here.

*Estimate based on length x cross-sectional area at widest point (not experimentally determined via water displacement)

Last edited:
I'd say length is pretty important. There was this girl in my school who went home with this guy but the guy started crying when they got home about his length, and she spent the rest of the night consoling him about it.

I'd say length is pretty important. There was this girl in my school who went home with this guy but the guy started crying when they got home about his length, and she spent the rest of the night consoling him about it.

Beyond a certain threshold length, additional length adds no value (aside from potential aesthetic appeal).
In contrast, it's essentially impossible to have too much girth. The prevalence of specimens with girth of "diminishing returns" is vanishingly small. You would essentially need to reach girth values so extreme that the "unit" becomes non-functional, mechanically speaking. Length has no such mechanical limitation, but, as previously mentioned, the utility plateaus at a threshold value.

Damn, I should go into urology.

In all seriousness, I think the problem here is that this is a crap idea for an AMA.

I'm sure OP is actually a good guy and all, but let's face it - a tall, good-looking, cool guy from a well-respected USMD program with a 264 step 1 matching derm isn't exactly earth shattering news. To many, it just seems like a guy who had a lot of advantages, leveraged them well, and is using several AMAs to rub it in the face of the little guy.

Family Med AMA works because it's a very misunderstood field and especially on allo, you don't get a lot of people talking about it. For many, going into FM is a mark of shame.

I want an AMA with someone who beat the odds or has a great story, like with the DOs who matched ACGME plastics or derm. Or the heroin addict girl who got into medical school and matched at UCLA FM. Or the guy who lost his legs in Iraq and got into HMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.