I might be taking remedial classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Namie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone knows, I might be taking remedial courses at my CC, and I might graduate one yr later than usual. Not that I care too much about the time it takes to get a degree, but I have to get the degree by time I am 25 (I'm 19 now), since I want to finish medical school before I'm 30, residency and all that can be done in my early-mid 30s.

But is this going to affect all my plans to get into medical school?

I am going to take a re-test later this week, so I'm studying a bit to refresh my skills. But it wouldn't shock me if I fail again, especially in math...

I also have to work at least 30 hrs per week, so that might affect my plans a bit, but I'm going to work to the best of my abilities to accomplish my goals.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it, based on your timeline you've given yourself 6 years to finish your undergraduate degree. That is more then enough time, your not going to be taking 2 years of remedial work, especially since the only remedial subjects your possibly going to have to take is english and math.

In regards to english, you may possibly need a remedial writing or reading course - which is usually a combined course for students that need both. So that would only be 1 additional course prior to starting the normal freshman level college english composition. In the case of math, assuming you still remember basic arithmetic, you may need Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and precalc (depending on where you place) prior to the calc or statistics series. So at a maximum that is 3 math courses for a maximum grand total of 4 remedial courses. Given that you've given yourself 2 extra years beyond the 4 that is typical of most students, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to complete those within that timeframe. Additionally, if you take an extra 4 courses during the summer than you can even make up for that lost time and be on track to graduate in 4 years or less if you want to get done earlier.

Well I pass reading, but it's the writing I didn't do well in. I pass arithmetic, but I have to take one math prerequisite I assume as of now.

I'll probably do it in the summer time too to make up for the lost time.

Ideally I want to get it all done before I transfer over to the university. I just given the 6 years timeframe, since some people might go over the 4 yrs, and I don't want to quit my goals. And for me to basically keep the faith alive.

I think you have got a good plan in place for yourself. There is nothing wrong with having to take remedial courses. I would look at it this way, you are going to be more prepared when you do take the harder math courses that you need, and the writing course will better prepare you for the college level English classes that you will need.

Keep your goals in mind and you can do it! I have had several problems that have set back my plans on when I will apply to medical school (6 surgeries and then suffered from PTSD after being robbed at gunpoint), but I just keep going and if I can do it, I know you can do it as well. Work hard and have a good support system in place and you will reach your goals.

:)

Last edited: