Quantcast

I might have to transfer from my 4 year school to a community college, and I have some questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents had a discussion with me, and since they are disappointed in me for getting such bad grades my first year of college, they might make me transfer to a CC for next year until I get my act straight.

I don't blame them, the tuition at my school is high and I really don't have excuses for getting bad grades since I don't work, and don't party that much.

What I'm asking is, would there be a way to explain this on an application?

Also, would it look bad if I don't transfer back to my original school after going to the CC? I don't like it that much there.

candbgirl

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Just get As from now on and you'll be fine. Schools understand freshman year but you have to do better from now on. No more excuses. Your parents might be helping you more than hurting you. Get yourself together now!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

thisismyacct

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Just get As from now on and you'll be fine. Schools understand freshman year but you have to do better from now on. No more excuses. Your parents might be helping you more than hurting you. Get yourself together now!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would it be bad if I don't transfer back to my original school? Or does it not matter?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
    15+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Would it be bad if I don't transfer back to my original school? Or does it not matter?

You have demonstrated that you could not do well at your first school. If you do very well at what is considered a less challenging school, your success there will be tempered by the fact that some people will believe that you couldn't do well at a challenging school but can do well at a less demanding one. You can't get a bachelor's degree from a community college so you'll eventually have to transfer to a 4 year school. If you transfer to a school that is not considered a challenging one (high proportion of applicants are admitted, not known for preparing students for graduate and professional school) then you will be a slight disadvantage in med admissions.

However, to continue doing what you've been doing will put you at a huge disadvantage in med admissions. Stop, pick up the pieces, retake Chem and some of the other courses you did not do well in, bone up on math and do NOT take organic chemistry until you have a good set of study skills and a foundation of knowledge in math and science. O-chem is almost always the lowest grade on a transcript and you don't need that now.

Reactions: 1 user

thisismyacct

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    You have demonstrated that you could not do well at your first school. If you do very well at what is considered a less challenging school, your success there will be tempered by the fact that some people will believe that you couldn't do well at a challenging school but can do well at a less demanding one. You can't get a bachelor's degree from a community college so you'll eventually have to transfer to a 4 year school. If you transfer to a school that is not considered a challenging one (high proportion of applicants are admitted, not known for preparing students for graduate and professional school) then you will be a slight disadvantage in med admissions.

However, to continue doing what you've been doing will put you at a huge disadvantage in med admissions. Stop, pick up the pieces, retake Chem and some of the other courses you did not do well in, bone up on math and do NOT take organic chemistry until you have a good set of study skills and a foundation of knowledge in math and science. O-chem is almost always the lowest grade on a transcript and you don't need that now.

I appreciate the insight, and I can see you've seen my previous posts lol.