Adam Smasher

persona non grata
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
USA
Status
Podiatrist
It has been 2 months and 22 days since my last beer.

At the time, I had come off of some not particularly wild weekends, but weekends where I did over-imbibe just a little. (Just like 2 liters with dinner. It was Oktoberfest.) The following day I felt like I could use a little rest from beer, so I decided that the next beer I have should be for a celebratory occasion. Like getting into medical school.

Overconfident? Well, I had gotten (what I considered) a very high MCAT of 33R, I had just finished tearing apart my post-bacc program with a 3.99 GPA, my extracuriculars were solid, and I had recieved 4 interview invitations in the space of about 10 days. Surely I'll get into at least one of those schools, maybe even by the end of October, and if not, surely more interview invitations will come. Who wouldn't be brimming with confidence at this point?

Well, the interviews came and went, and no new invitations came in. But four is enough, I figured. Even if I never hear from the other 9, at least one of the 4 will let me in.

And now, here I am at the halfway point in the application cycle. Of the four, one was a rejection, one was a waitlist, one was a hold, and one is still thinking about it. I've stopped wondering "When will I have my next beer?" and begun wondering "Will I drink beer again?"

It will be tough, but I can deal with starting over next summer while trying to find work in a crappy economy.

I can even live with the reality that I might not be med school material after all.

But I really am starting to hate wine.

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My friend has a 3.99 and 36Q and a ****load of EC's and he has not been accepted yet. A friend of mine was accepted in June last year...etc. WAY too early to give up.

About the Ads

Carlin

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Go have a beer!

When you get into medical school, you can have a really good beer.

Jtrenier

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2008
ATL
Status
Pre-Medical
It has been 2 months and 22 days since my last beer.

At the time, I had come off of some not particularly wild weekends, but weekends where I did over-imbibe just a little. (Just like 2 liters with dinner. It was Oktoberfest.) The following day I felt like I could use a little rest from beer, so I decided that the next beer I have should be for a celebratory occasion. Like getting into medical school.
Hey congrats on going without beer for a while. It's important to know how to have fun without being buzzed and/or drunk. Some of the most broing people I know are people who don't know how to have a great time without having a beer in their hand.

Your stats seem good to me. So maybe you just need to work on your interviewing skills some more.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get into med school and become a successful doctor :thumbup:

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'd just start letting some of your schools know the situation. They might include it in the decision process.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status
Medical Student
Ain't nothing any of us can say will make that wine taste better. I can only tell you from experience though that when you down that first gulp of beer, it doesn't matter of you are drinking the worst beer in the world, it will be the most flavorful beer you ever had. In other words, worth the wait.

thegetupkid

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
mmmm...sierra neveda celebration ale...
haha sorry, but seriously, drink up! life's too short for that sober deal

About the Ads

SDN2013

Athens
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Cute Overload
Status
Medical Student
ewww, beer, gross.... I just can't stand the taste, went to a party as sober monitor once, tried a cup and had to WASH DOWN the taste of beer with a hard liquor mix. Maybe it's because I had my first bottle of beer (two sips and tossed away lol) when I was in 2nd grade, and it left a bad taste in me.

akademix

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status
Medical Student
im trying to be a part of the 40/40 club. get a 40 on the mcat, the moment they release scores, go to the nearest gas station, get 2 40s and drink them in 40 minutes. lmao

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
ewww, beer, gross.... I just can't stand the taste, went to a party as sober monitor once, tried a cup and had to WASH DOWN the taste of beer with a hard liquor mix. Maybe it's because I had my first bottle of beer (two sips and tossed away lol) when I was in 2nd grade, and it left a bad taste in me.
beer is over rated
Blasphemy:eek:.

Adam Smasher

persona non grata
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
USA
Status
Podiatrist
Martinis are where it's at ;)
I've found that most restaurants don't do them right. They always shake them like they think I'm James Bond.

Anyway, I'm not going to start drinking for the hell of it. If I can't keep a promise to myself, who can I keep a promise to?

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student

Sandlot13

ER = love
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2007
Yakima, WA; usually in the OMM Lab or studying
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
i feel your pain my friend.... those damn celebratory drinks that seem to elude you are very rough at times. Just as long as it stays a celebratory drink and doesnt turn into a drink of defeat, your doing alright ;)

good luck man, im rooting for you.

Zaibatsu

Criminal Not Convicted
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
This is a depressing post, best of luck buddy. Alternatively, it will be good for a couple sober months to prepare you for next school year...I'm going to miss beer then.

ngkats

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
This read really makes me want beer right now. And some pizza.

It's 9:20am right now, by the way.

About the Ads