I miss Lucy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteopathicman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The death of the Lucy in the ER show has given me some deep thoughts. I want to know yours also.

Members don't see this ad.

It did for me too considering that I will begin clinical rotations next year. "Get a psych consult down here, stat!!!"

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

I liked her character, but I'm not sure I understand that actress' reason for leaving the show. According to something I read on the net, she left because there wasn't much for her character to do. What else did she expect? Eventually she would've done exactly what Carter did when he was a med student (go into EM and be a resident on the show).

Now they have the girl from News Radio as a med student.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought that Lucy was introduced just to add some depth to Dr. Carter by illustrating that he was mature enough to teach Med. students. I hope the woman from News Radio stays for a while--she reminds me a lot of the previous character named "Susan."

P.S. Isn't "Rocket" Romano everyone's favorite character?

Future DOc,
I agree with you a 100%. It looks pretty bad to go onto rotation without knowing what 's next?
My advice is "Watch your back!!"

I always want Lucy to graduate from Med school and then ends her role in the show.....

[This message has been edited by osteopathicman (edited 02-19-2000).]

It's not as if the writers decided to write her out, she decided to leave the show.

Romano is my favorite character. I know he's your typical egomaniacal surgeon, but he's funny and amusing.

Tim of New York City.

Does anyone else think that most students/residents/attendings would smell that guy from a mile away? He would not have been left alone, nor would he have been allowed anywhere near anything sharp. They sniffed out Munchausen's Syndrome by proxy the week before and launched a complex sting operation to catch the mom, but the next week they let this guy wander all over the floor. Overall, I thought the episode was well-written, but if you back up and look at it, could this really happen on your rotations?

I like Romano too. I think they are starting to show a little emotion in the guy. First with his dog having surgery (2 weeks ago) and then his tirade when Lucy died. I heard she left the show because she didn't like the direction her character was going..whatever that means. Frankly I thought she wasn't very nice (and I didn't like how Carter acted around her either.)

I've always liked Dr. Green. He seems to be the most level-headed and compassionate.

There were few problems with her:

1: She was doing an ER rotation for three years. (Although I love ER and that is residency I will start in few months, you really do need to do other rotations.

2: She knew how to diagnose everything despite the fact that she had not done any rotations in any other services.

3: Never saw her read anything.

4: Argued with her resident way too much.

5: Ordered the nurses around like she was an actual doctor.

6: I like to know which medical school she went to that allowed her to stay in the ER for the entirety of her clinical years.

7: Also Carter has been a ER resident for about six years now...These people never graduate...

Jon Fong, DO (COMP Alum & an ER doc himself) is one of the medical advisors for the ER show. When he lectures to us at WesternU/COMP, we laugh a lot when he shows us pictures of him teaching George Clooney, etc.. how to do ER procedures.

We keep bugging him when will they feature a DO on the show. He says that if you have a good script it may be possible. Anyone know how?

"Pulmonary arrest!!!! We need some rib raising done, stat!!"
wink.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

According to People magazine, Kelly Martin (the actress who plays Lucy) left the show for two reasons: 1) She felt her character wasnt' being developed, and 2) her real life sister recently died of Lupus.

WHO IS LUCY AND WHAT HAPPENED TO HER? Sorry, maybe it's time for me to put down the books and applications or maybe it's the fairly miserable TV reception we get out here!

------------------

rog