I miss my UG classes already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream_big

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Laugh at my "dismay," because although this may sound ridiculous, I can't seem to stop sifting through old notes...biochem, exercise phys, neuropsych...you name it, I miss it.

I graduated this past May, and even though we haven't even reached August yet, I find myself going through a post-MCAT and post-class withdrawal. I really do enjoy constantly studying and learning a vast amount of material. I am taking a gap year, and even with a full-time job, volunteering, shadowing, and finishing up secondaries, it feels as if something is missing... I was thinking about taking out loans to take a class, but I think a clinical research position may fulfill me even more. Thoughts on taking a class or leaving my current pharmacy tech job for a research position?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Laugh at my "dismay," because although this may sound ridiculous, I can't seem to stop sifting through old notes...biochem, exercise phys, neuropsych...you name it, I miss it.

I graduated this past May, and even though we haven't even reached August yet, I find myself going through a post-MCAT and post-class withdrawal. I really do enjoy constantly studying and learning a vast amount of material. I am taking a gap year, and even with a full-time job, volunteering, shadowing, and finishing up secondaries, it feels as if something is missing... I was thinking about taking out loans to take a class, but I think a clinical research position may fulfill me even more. Thoughts on taking a class or leaving my current pharmacy tech job for a research position?

There are plenty of things you can study without spending a dime. Don't take out any loans for this.

Reactions: 1 users
It's going to be hard to find a new serious job that you only plan to be at for a year, so unless you have something right in front of you I would stay in your position, especially if you're established there so you can schedule interviews.
Taking out loans to take a class just because you're bored is pretty daunting when you're looking at 4 years of medical school.
Chin up, you'll have more studying than you could ever want in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find a couple of open courseware classes and watch those...
It's not really surprising that you'd miss it. If you went right from HS to college you've spent the last 16-17 years in school.

I feel like this alot of the time. I read some textbooks at leisure. It doesnt have to be a demanding thing. If you are interested in something go get a book about it. I read a criminal law textbook this past month and now I have that knowledge if I need it.

Maybe self study some topics that you didn't have time to in UG or won't have time for in med school? Like educating yourself on something for the heck of it? That way you are still challenging yourself and learning about the world. Also you seem quite self motivated, so you probably don't need to pay to take a class in anything.

Its funny cuz i wanted to take a break from studying but scribeforamerica training is so much material...... Gawd

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps try learning a new language? Duolingo is free and a good place to start.

Reactions: 1 users
Get a full time job? You'll start to cherish free time

I am currently strengthening my Arabic (Syrian)..continue this, or find my old Spanish notes from high school and start there? Or, of course, buy a Rosetta Stone for Spanish

Perhaps try learning a new language? Duolingo is free and a good place to start.
I am bilingual, but things get lost in translation from English to Arabic..I am currently strengthening my Arabic at home with my parents

It's going to be hard to find a new serious job that you only plan to be at for a year, so unless you have something right in front of you I would stay in your position, especially if you're established there so you can schedule interviews.
Taking out loans to take a class just because you're bored is pretty daunting when you're looking at 4 years of medical school.
Chin up, you'll have more studying than you could ever want in med school.
Great point about my current job situation. If I do receive several interview invites, I would like to feel comfortable requesting those days off. Thank you

I am currently strengthening my Arabic (Syrian)..continue this, or find my old Spanish notes from high school and start there? Or, of course, buy a Rosetta Stone for Spanish

Get Duolingo. It's free and works great on any device.

I agree with other folks here. Don't take out loans. Self study using free materials, if you must. But also, learn to relax and enjoy yourself while not being in school. There was literally just a thread from someone the other day who powered through several years of undergrad and postbac and then realized weeks before starting school that they were burnt out and needed a break. It's great that you enjoy learning but you're going to be doing a LOT of it in medical school. It's important to learn to relax and have fun, too. :)