Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I MUST get this out of my system

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mystique, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, I called a school today because I hadn't heard anything from them since my app was complete (10/2/01). Anyways, when I called way back when in October, they told me they had received my application and a letter of rec, which was all that they required. So, I marked "complete" on my note card for that particular school (I don't want to mention the name of the school b/c I'll just collapse and wish the floor to swallow me whole if they were to read this.) I hadn't heard a peep from them, so I decided to call to see what was up. Well, lo and behold, I call, and they tell me my friggin application is incomplete!!! I'm like no way, and they're like yes way. I'm in total denial while they're acting totally cool about the situation (like a "we do no wrong" attitude). Before I go further, I should mention that this is the same school to which I had to send my picture not once, not twice, but three times!!!! I don't know if they just couldn't get enough of my beauty or what...or maybe they just couldn't swallow the grotesqueness of the picture (beats me...). Anyways, so I ask them what exactly it is they're missing, and the lady says they're missing 1 letter of recommendation. I'm like noooooooooooo, you have my letter of recommendation. She's like "no, we only have 2 letters of rec from you." I'm like "I was under the assumption you only require 1." She responds with "yes, but in your case we need three."

I'm doing my best at this point trying to contain all the bubbling emotions within me. In fact, I think I'm going to beg my parents to buy me an inflatable "medical admissions secretary" punching bag for my birthday tomorrow.

Anyways, so back to the story. I ask her where the second letter of rec came from b/c I asked for only ONE to be sent. (I had to ask my undergrad school to send this one letter 3 friggin times to this particular school.) So, she puts me on hold for 15 minutes while she checks my "file." I spent those fifteen minutes tearing up paper and tapping tunes with my finger nails. So, when she finally comes back on the phone, she tells me "Ms. Pendulum, I hate to tell you this, but we've made a mistake; you have only one letter on file...the second is a duplicate of the first. We STILL need two more letters of rec from you." I'm thinking what the begonies is wrong with this school. They have the letter of rec they need. Anyways, after what seems like 50 minutes (it was actually 45 mins), she finally tells me that I need two more letters of rec from people that know me. I'm like "Ms. DodoBird, the application here says you need one composite letter. You already have that on file. I don't understand what exactly I'm missing. Please help me see the light." She responds with "Ms. Pendulum, I don't know how to make this any clearer, we need 2 more letters of rec before we can send this to the committee for a review." Normally, I don't cry...but you know how sometimes you're so frustrated you get a knot in your throat and that leads to...well, a few tears...
    Well, I'm almost at that point when I say "Ms., I had my undergrad send you a pre-health composite letter." She says "Dear, the only letter I have here is from Dr. _____ (who BTW is the pre-health committee chair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I took the biggest breath of my life and politely explained that Dr. _________ is the chair of the committee and the letter is in fact a compilation of different ones...blah blah blah. She finally sees the light and tells me "you poor dear, for the past three months your app has been in the incomplete stack. Oh my!" So, she tells me to hold, and I'm put on hold for another 20 minutes. Finally, someone comes to the phone, but it's a different lady. I specifically tell her "I was told to wait on the phone." This lady tells me to call back later. I say "Actually, she just picked up the phone 3 minutes ago and told me to continue waiting. Will it be a problem for the office if I continue holding?" The lady says "no" and lets me be. WELL, 3 minutes later she comes back on and asks me why I'm waiting. I give her the spill, and she tells me that my application will now go to the committee for review. Lady #1 had actually told me that and then had put me on hold. This second lady mistook me for a dodo bird b/c she insisted that that's all Ms. ____ was probably going to say. At this point, I'm exasperated, and I just give in. I end the call (which ended up being 1 hour and 43 minutes). I really want to know what Lady #1 wanted to say to me, but I guess now I'll never know since Lady #2 "forced" me to hang up. I really hate being left hanging as I was today, but my gosh what an experience! I've had my moments of frustration, but today--by far--was the biggest test!!!

How can any school leave my "complete" application in the incomplete file for THREE months?????? I KNOW it's so selfish and childish of me to complain, but I just had to get this out of my system. I really am an understanding person, but 3 months?????? I sure hope this school hasn't done the same to its other applicants. Anyways, enough taking up space....

Thanks for letting me vent! :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Thumper

Thumper Senior Member

You poor thing, I seriously feel so bad that this has happend to you. I have had a few excruciating moments of my own, but none like yours! Well, look at it this way, at least your file is under review NOW! Hopefully, they will take into account what a nice, patient person you are and ask you for an interview on the spot! ;) Well, one can dream. :rolleyes: Anyway, Just try to relax and chalk it up to this whole crazy year and ever crazier people. Good luck on everything else, and keep us posted! :D :p

4. shorrin

shorrin the ninth doctor

Resident [Any Field]
    oh pendulum,

I feel your pain. Thank god for sdn though. I think we all sympathize with you :) .

I think most of us will encounter some unbelievable problem during this process. I had mine awhile ago and it just turned out that the guy on the phone fielding questions was new and didn't know what he was talking about (until he left to ask someone who did). It wasn't his fault, but it did give me a heartattack for about ten minutes though. I guess that means even though we might be afraid to keep at the person on the other end of the phone we have to get the right answer so... good for you!

5. daisygirl

daisygirl woof

It is definitely not childish or selfish for you to complain. This process is expensive, time-consuming, frustrating(as your experience is an example of this), and emotionally draining. Try not to focus on the fact that your application was not given the time that it deserved earlier in the process. Ms. DodoBird should put in a good word for you, for she made a gargantuan mistake!
    Good Luck! :) :)

6. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    I had a similar experience. I sent in my letters to a school 2-3 months ago, but due to an amcas screw up I was given a new ID number. I called the school various times to inform them, and even sent faxes, but somehow they failed to transfer the letters to my new file. Anyways they just completed my file 2 weeks ago...

7. Sprockette

Sprockette Senior Member

Pendulum, I am really sorry you had to go through that...also sorry that this school seems to be operating on the AMCAS system of organization. Sheesh.

Just a heads up, though...you may want to do a follow-up call to see if your app actually went to the committee...I called one school and was told mine would be handed to the committee and a decision made within a few days, and I called back about a week later and the woman in the office told me I would have to wait two more weeks.

Good luck to you, though, I wish you the best in dealing with this and all your schools. :)

8. megkudos

megkudos Senior Member

Pendulum,
    I'm so so sorry about what happened to you! It figures that even when you take the initiative to make sure your app is complete it somehow gets messed up anyway. Eeekkk...oh well. Good luck with everything :)

9. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper

Can I vent also? :D Mine's trivial in comparison to pendulum's, well...maybe not.

So, I'm enjoying a nice holiday break when a disturbing email from USF, one of only two in-state schools I would like to interview at, arrives stating that they did not receive my letters of rec. I'm away from my campus, mind you, so I can't go request that my letters be sent again. Today, at last, I stopped by the letter forwarding office. I had requested that my letters be sent to USF in JULY!!! I really wish they wouldn't have waited this long to let me know that they did not have letters. Guess I should have checked up on that. Anyway, I had to have them resent and am left hoping they arrive before the January 21 deadline. Please don't get lost in the mail again, letters!!!

And all this time I thought my state schools hated me!

Still no word from UF. Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon!

10. Doc Blondie

Doc Blondie Member

I am so sorry that happened to you. And don't worry about venting everyone needs to its healthy. You know, considering the hell that AMCSA put us all through this year you would think that the schools would make extra sure everything else went smoothly.

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member

pendulum, that is just soooo unbelievably awful!!! :(

SwampMan, sorry to hear about your horror story too! Somehow I seem to have made it throught the process without any misplaced letters or transcripts! She says, knocking on wood! ;)

Gosh, now I'm feeling like I should call all the schools that I'm assuming my app is complete at! :(

12. THE instiGATOR

Oh yeah, one more annoying thing. USF has my letters on file because I sent the same ones last year, but they "are not allowed to view old material". UGH!!!

Oh well :cool: !

13. Ibis

Ibis Senior Member

Swampman, what about UM? Did you apply there?

BTW, nice victory last night with your Gators. Can't wait for the Grand Daddy tonight, at 8:00pm!!!! Go Canes!!!!!

14. THE instiGATOR

Ibis,

Yes, but I withdrew my application after being accepted by USA. UM is pretty pricy, and I'm not too fond of Miami (the city, not the school).

Yep, we gave them a beating. Go Canes!!! If the Gators can't have the title, I'd rather see another FL school take it (except FSU, that is).

15. daisygirl

daisygirl woof

SwampMan,
    Why don't you ask your school to fax the letters? My pre-med advisor took forever to write my letter of recommendation, which put me in a bad spot because there were deadlines approaching. I wound up calling SUNY Buffalo and I asked them if it would be okay if I faxed the letter in addition to mailing it so that the letter would reach them before the deadline. SUNY Buffalo told me that it was perfectly fine to do so. I was able to sleep comfortably knowing that they received the faxed version, thus I did not miss a deadline due to my pre-med advisors tardiness!
    :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Ibis

Ibis Senior Member

Gotcha. Man, that was a quick response! I definitely appreciate the financial issue concerning Miami. Did you interview? My file at UF & USF has been complete since early October, and have yet to hear from em.

18. THE instiGATOR

Ibis,

Three minutes isn't that quick! You should see this forum rotate when things are really cookin'.

No, I did not interview there. How's the process treated you so far? I'm hoping to hear from UF soon. They invited me to interview in March last year, and I have since significantly improved both my GPA and my MCAT score. I can't imagine why they wouldn't offer me another interview, unless they were really unimpressed with me last year. If I am to get one, I'm thinking it will come before March this year (considering that's about as late in the process as one can get ;) ).

Good luck to ya!

19. Lily2

Lily2 Member

Pendulum, girlfriend, I feel for you. You've heard it already from the other posts, but I thought I'd add my worth. I give you much credit for your post, it made me gasp in horror, stare in anger, laugh (Ms. DodoBird-I love that) and shake my head in disbelief.

It's amazing how suddenly when it comes to LORs the postal system seems to be constantly "losing" them-according to admission offices nationwide. They refuse to admit that, maybe, just maybe, they lost them. I send tons of different kinds of packages, letters, etc thru the post all the time and they don't get lost, yet LORs seem to get lost everytime they hit the mailbox! :rolleyes: So many of my apps have been completed late b/c of lost LORs.

20. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    THANKS so much for all your support! Reading your posts has really made my day. I just want to say I love this place b/c it's so supportive. In fact I feel like kicking some butt right now!

Thanks for the encouragement and understanding. You SDNers are GREAT!!!!!!

21. THE instiGATOR

Well, my letters were recovered. They were misfiled. Lets hope this doesn't hurt my chances.

22. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

Pendulum, you're a persistent one I see. One hour and 43 minutes eh? Next time, make sure you call collect. That'll teach em. :D

SwampMan, what up with UF and USF? No love here bro. It sucks, cause those are two schools I'd love to check out. Any idea how many interview spots are left at either school? I'm starting to get a little worried. The waiting is killing me. Lemme know if you hear anything from either.

23. THE instiGATOR

No clue about the # of interviews still available. It really burns me that my application sat complete yet untouched at USF for 5 MONTHS! Granted, I am happy to be in at USA. I would, however, like to have the opportunity to check USF out. I don't even know if I will have that opportunity now.

I'll let you know if I hear anything. I'm on the edge of my seat with UF. Has anyone interviewed at a school one year but been passed up the next?!? Will I be the only one?