I must work 25+ hrs per wk/my GPA=3.0-3.2/never a volun/from 1 to 10, what're my chan

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. FS, Apr 29, 2000.

1. Dr. FS

Dr. FS Member

Just finished my first year in college with a GPA of 2.5. (i'll 20 years old on May,2000) Because of economical problem i "must" work 25+ hrs per week. Again, because i must work, i can't volunteer-even during the summer. In addition, because of my situation, i know that my final GPA will end up something like 3.0 to 3.3(definitely 3.0 or over, but not over 3.4) But, i really want to become a Dr (since i was..you know!!the old saying!!a child).

Now, going back to my situation: with a GPA of 3.0 to 3.2, no volunteer work, MCAT-not so perfect, but with a nice pre-med essay. From 1 to 10 what are my chances to get in...

Any comments, suggestions...will be wellcome...Thank you in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MODEERF NIATPAC

You are a shoo in!!! Didn't you forget that you volunteered in the nursing home reading stories and playing with the old folks? Also, didn't you do that meals on wheels thing? Weren't you a big brother to some kid who didn't have a dad? Didn't you take him to a bunch of movies? Well, then just get your gpa up higher and crush the MCATs. Otherwise, sayonara!!!

More good news to come....
    !!!MMOODDEEEERRFF

4. hodgepodge

hodgepodge Junior Member

I have a similar profile (worked a lot to finance myself throughout undergrad) w/ a low 30's MCAT. I didn't get in first time, went through a grad program, aced it and now have 3 acceptances. Good luck.

5. rangers1

rangers1 Member

I don't think anyone will lie to you, you have a lot of work to do. Nonehteless, you are far, very far, from hopeless.

Break you application down into these four categories and assess each independently:

1. Undergraduate GPA- the only time you can still effect this is while you are still an undergrad!!! You can't afford to wait another day to improve this.

2. MCATS -I think anyone who doesn't take an MCAT review course is hurting themselves, unless you are one of the top 5% of appicants, and even they could benefit. I took Princeton Review and Kaplan. Doesn't matter, take ehither one or both. 30 continues to be the line of demarkation. High 20's are not fatal, but don't help much.

3. Recommendations-Who will champion your cause? This is very important. If you are still an undergrad, beef up on teachers with whom you've done the best. If you've been out of school for a few years, hopefully you have been working in a health care setting and have befriended and MD/DO who will vouce for your medical capabilities.

4. Work experience-You have to show a dedication to medicine. In the past, schools preferred a lab/research backround as it showed intelect and an ability to handle biological sciences. Now, school highly regard working in a patient setting. A friend of mine had worked in a lab for years doing some solid research. at his med school interview, he was asked,"OK, you've shown you can work with mice, what have you done to show us that you can take care of people." He was also asked why he wasn't going for a PhD as he had spent so much time in lab.

You must improve wach of these categories independently. High marks in one will not completely overshadow a deficiency in another. Keep in mind, all the flowery prose med schools write about selecting "diverse individuals who have established maturity and character" is 75% [email protected]#$. There is no substitute for academic excellence. As I've said before in this forum, Mother Theresa with a 3.0 gets lots of rejection letters but Al Capone with a 4.0 gets to be a med student.

Good luck

6. Besyonek

Besyonek Senior Member

You're definitely going to have to bring up that gpa and do some volunteer work/research, etc.

Have you considered going to school part-time? With fewer classes, your grades will probably improve. You'd also have time for extracurrics/volunteer/research activities.

If the work schedule can't be reduced, this might be the way to go.

7. dolly

dolly Member

Hi there, don't despair. I work over 40 hours a week and take 1-2 classes per semester. I don't know the intensity of your work, is it primarily mental work or physical work? Physical jobs are usually better. You may be too mentally drained to do solid studying. By stating your age as 20 I thought you would be in your third year. Did you work for a year before entering college? It may take a little while longer, but I'd rather move slow and sure, knowing the material and making the grade (less sweat on the mcat) than rushing to the finish line with low grades and a poor recollection of the science material. Seriously, try to do the part time thing. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by dolly (edited 05-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dolly (edited 05-28-2000).]

8. popoman

popoman Member

sup...im a freshman....my gpa sucks too
    and i have nothing to back me up...
    so i decide to become a nurse...

nurse is a good job..
    all you have to do is kiss ass to the doctors...kekekeke

okie okie

seriously, give me advise when you know..

yupz....messing up in your freshman year sucks.....kekeke
    but then im going to med school because
    "im special" kekeke

The confused Freshman.....=P

9. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member

NEWSFLASH, there's a brand-new thing called STUDENT LOANS. They let you concentrate on your studies.... work sux when you're trying to bring up that EXTREMELY PITIFUL GPA. Concentrate on premed courses.... hey here's an idea (I can't believe I'm helping you)
    You know what a killler combination is? Shandow a doc once a week for a couple of hours... this way you get volunteer experience AND see what they really do (it ain't ER, TRAUMA, or CHICAGO HOPE)

AND as a special bonus, if you do a good job, you may just get a Letter of Recommendation from your doc... whew three birds with one commitment.
    P.S. docs are busy too and they all went through what we must, so they understand your time constraints...

You're not alone, quit whining, do the right thing, it builds character

10. hodgepodge

hodgepodge Junior Member

NEWSFLASH...sufficient loans aren't available to someone whose parents make a modest amount of $.

11. tman

tman Senior Member

Let's be honest now, 25 hours a week is not really that significant. I'm sure there are tons of people who worked during their undergradute years and still had time to do volunteer work, and get a decent MCAT score. Take me for instance, I am active duty military and work 50+ hours a week. I have a wife and two kids (1 and 2 1/2 years old) and was able to start and finish my degree in biology in 3 1/2 years with a 3.9 gpa. I also managed to rack up several hundred hours of volunteer time in the ER. I'm not telling you this to brag, but to illustrate my point. My point is that if you are truly motivated to go to med school, having to work 25 hours a week shouldn't be that big of deal. As far as submitting an app with a lousy MCAT, a 3.0 average and no volunteer experience...I doubt if a "nice" essay would make a difference because it probably wouldn't even get read. Personal statements are fairly insignificant anyway since there are only so many ways to say "this is why i want to be a doc" in a page or less.

As far as the advice of taking one class a semester, I would have to say that is the worst advice I have ever heard. For starters if you have just completed your first year of school that means you have completed about 30 hours out of the ~128 hours required for a bachelors degree. At the rate of one class per semester (assuming you'll be taking summer classes) you are looking at finishing your bachelors degree in about 10 years! (talk about burn out). And by the time you'd finish taking all the classes you need to take the MCAT 5 years would have gone by since you took some of the first classes...hope you have a good memory.

Anyway, if you really want to go to med school, don't fool yourself into believing that you can't do it because you have to work a measly 25 hours a week! It's just a matter of prioritizing your time. It's easy to say you want to got to med school, but actually putting yourself in a position to get there takes some good old fashion hard work. You have plenty of time left to pull your grades up, study for the MCAT, and do some volunteer work. If you really want to go to med school SUCK IT UP AND GET TO WORK!
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you achieve your goal.

12. vnacyd

vnacyd Member

Don't get freaked out by over-achievers. I looked very average on applications in terms of grades and I am going to medical school this fall. Don't get me wrong, I studied/worked hard. But I was far from 30+ MCAT's, or a high GPA.

[This message has been edited by vnacyd (edited 05-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by vnacyd (edited 05-08-2000).]

13. Dr. FS

Dr. FS Member

14. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust

be a chiropractor,

if you are not motivated enough to dig deep and raise that GPA, find something easier. my situation was close to yours and all i did was complain too until i decided to get with it halfway in college (my stats are now very competitive and im applying in the summer). lets face it, getting in medschool is hard and very often people with a financial cushion under them can do better in undergrad., but you must work harder than them to get into medschool.
    otherwise, start looking at alternatives now...
    good luck

15. TMJoyner

TMJoyner Junior Member

DR FS-

Your messages are so annoying.... first you want to complain to all of us that you don?t have enough time to keep up with you grades, and now you have the bright idea of lying about you extracurricular activities. You are really on the straight and narrow. I am sure with your grades and being predisposed to bitch and moan about everything none of us will see you in med school.

Thanks,

TMJoyner

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?

bVmp!

l3T chA05 Re1gN!

18. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    If your parents make a modest amount of money, you are still eligible for student loans, but not as much of it will be federally subsidized.

Being from a middle class family does not mean you can't get college loans, it means it's harder to get subsidized loans. On the other hand, if your family's poor, it's harder to get private loans, but easier to get federally subsidized.

19. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member

Nevermind

20. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Member

Bumping the 8 Year old thread was pretty crazy...

But another 6 year old thread?

What the hell.

21. Touchdown

Touchdown Senior Member

Medical Student
    I was a person who worked 40-50 hours a week my junior and senior year (and my GPA, despite more difficult classes actually went up go figure) but my job was on campus too (and it was something I really enjoyed) so its slightly different then your situation but trust me its doable (allthough I had to do an SMP this year when I graduated with a 3.2 and 32 MCAT.)

However, since everyone else has commented on that Ill try to answer your question about how you can find more time to study despite the work. If you dont think you can handle the load, why dont you drop a class and pick it up in summer school? Most schools have summer dorm manager positions they need to fill every year that include not only a modest salery, but room and board too. While normally taking summer courses looks bad on your record, if you explain why in your personal statement no one should hold that against you. With less classes you would have no reason not to bump up that GPA.

Ok, class load done now on to MCAT-you need to get above a 30, especially with a shaky GPA. Since money is a problem, buy a Kaplan book and follow its insturctions and you should be fine, the class is mainly hand holding to make sure you spread out your studying, the only thing Kaplan provides in the class that is really valuable is 6 full MCAT practice tests, but you can allways just use the free ones on the AMCAS site for practice instead.

Finally, vollenteer experience. Since you cant vollenteer I suggest you find a way to work in a clincial setting (orderly or something) or be hired as a research assistant, you need clinical experience, peroid. Find a way to get some

Good Luck :)!

22. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, if he hasn't graduated from med school by now... maybe he could still use this advice?

23. colt

colt Senior Member

Dr. FS--are you out there???? We need an update!

24. trustwomen

trustwomen Senior Member

Medical Student
    I'm sure he's not around anymore - 6 years, after all - and I'm glad somebody else mentioned that it was an old thread b/c I never check these things before replying. My advice would have been, if you can't handle undergrad plus 25 hours of work/week, you probably won't be able to handle med school. Is that mean of me? :)

25. trustwomen

trustwomen Senior Member

Medical Student
    duplicate...

26. colt

colt Senior Member

People in the year 2000 were weird.

27. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    Quit your job.

Get loans.

Don't screw yourself over.

28. Babylonian

Babylonian Gone Mad!

Medical Student
    This is just too funny. :thumbup:

29. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    why people resurrect really really really old threads?

30. Taurus

Taurus Paul Revere of Medicine

Attending Physician
    I don't know if that's your real pic yourmom. But it's really HOT. :thumbup:

31. IRV

IRV Junior Member

My advice to struggling college freshmen would be to ask themselves if they're really ready for college, let alone pre-med. Doing well in college requires a skillset of its own, and not everyone has that straight out of high school. For some, the best thing to do is to take up college down the line, after they learn how to study and manage their time. In the meantime, you can build your finances and do some volunteering. Maybe take a gap year with CityYear or Americorps NCCC or even with youth organizations abroad. Wait until you're motivated and able before you take the courses that will determine whether you'll get into medical school (or any other graduate program).

I followed similar advice in a sense when I majored in a non-science field and waited to do pre-med as a postbac. When I started with the science courses, I knew how to be a good student and I was a lot more motivated. At 18, my priorities would not have been a good match for pre-med; I might have burnt out.

32. francisdoss

francisdoss Member

Pre-Medical
    '"too many doctors are running out from business and too many OB/GYn aren't able to practice love to the women all accross the country".... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

33. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?