I need a book (or 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTCA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the situation:
I am scheduled to do a year or rural service for my licensing as soon as I graduate. My duties seem to include both EM and family medicine (primarily geriatrics). I don?t need an in-depth understanding of these fields .I simply need to know basically what to do in a number of situations. I think that a very concise book (preferably a pocketbook) focusing mostly on management could come in very handy. I need it to provide brief and specific directions for treatment (substances/ doses/ hydration rate/wound care). EM handbooks seem to cover treatment for emergencies (including trauma/burns/medical/surgical emergencies ect.) while they don?t contain for example the information needed to adjust non-acute glaucoma or cataract medication. On the other hand family medicine books cover ophthalmic care, basic ob&gyn, peds ect.while they lack info like ACLS,ATLS,BLS ect which I also need. Plus, like I said I need a text that provides practical guidelines for managing every condition it presents. Do you think I can find all that in one book or do I need 2 handbooks? Either way what are your recommendations?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i can't think of any one handbook that is THAT complete...
i tended to stay away from handbooks when I was a resident - i just thought the information there was always a little dated and overall not that helpful. I tended to use a lot of electronic resources. For example, MDConsult - has tons of online textbooks covering many areas...when I needed to do a procedure, I would just call up the online version of Pfeninger's procedures in primary care book...or for something peds related, i'd pull out the Red Book or Nelson's....it was the most bang for the buck and no books to lug around...of course, the major limitation being you have to be somewhere with internet access. UpToDate is also another great online reference.

I'm sure good ole standbys like the Scut Monkey handbook are okay...there's also a Family Practice Handbook put out by the same publishers that do the Washington Manual that looked okay way back when....

most of the handbooks have the flowcharts at least for BLS, and ACLS...some may have PALS/NALS. I'm not sure about ATLS.

good luck searching.

-ed

p.s. the place where you are going to serve may already have a little library that's relevant enough, without you having to spend any money.

Thanks, the FP book you mentioned had already made a good impression on me. I am thinking of going with the Emergency Medicine Manual (Tintinalli) for EM ,what do you think?