I need a favor (attendings and residents please read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've got a really strong FMG med student with us here in our community non-academic ED. He is set on EM but is having trouble finding fourth year rotations. Specifically he is having difficulty finding rotations at programs which have EM residencies. Everyone he has contacted is either giving him the wait and see runaround or is flat out denying him the opportunity to rotate based on his FMG status. I can personally vouch for his clinical apptitude and work ethic. He spends his off time from his core rotations with us in the ED. I'm talking 6-10 hours per day. This is on top of his other clinical responsibilites. I could go on but I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't believe in his ability.

He is from Canada with an engineering background. He is in school in the Carribean. He plans on staying in the U.S. when done. My group would gladly hire him based on what we've seen so far. That is not an exaggeration.

The program where I trained will not allow FMGs to rotate. I would enthusiastically recommend him to my program otherwise. I will do so come interview time.

I would appreciate any suggestions or offers of a rotation spot if able. Please PM.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

He can check out http://services.aamc.org/eec/students/ and search by either state or region and he can select schools that accept internationals as part of the search criteria. Some schools only allow non-US citizens so he will actually be golden because he is a canadian citizen. He can also contact primarily non-academic based hospitals with residency programs. That would include places like orlando that have taken many fmgs but sign students up for rotations themselves because they only have a loose affiliation with UF.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking for specific hospitals, I can name a few that have plenty of FMG's rotate there.

Most of the hospitals within Detroit city limits are caribbean friendly. St. John's is the most friendly. Receiving and Sinai-Grace are harder because they have an obligation to Wayne St. students. I reccomend going straight to the med student coordinators within each department rather than filling out a visiting student application through the medical school. All 3 of these hospitals have FMG's that match there each year too.

Henry Ford is a bit more difficult because you need to find an attending to sponsor you.

St. Vincent's in Toledo is FMG friendly, both for students and residents. their student rotation is awesome.

hope it helps

new EM PGY1

We often have FMG's rotate through our hospital here (SLR in NYC) and many others do as well. BI, King's County (I think) and various others.

/subscribes

I may be heading to SGU next year. As I am involved in EMS, I am biased towards pursuing an EM residency afterwards in the US. I've wondered how feasible this option is as I am a Canadian who would need visa sponsorship to match into a US residency. I'd love to hear the outcome of this if you want to PM me.

Maimonides and Brooklyn Hospital will allow Caribbean med students to rotate at their programs.

SUNY Downstate has many FMG's rotating there.

Great program, great med student experience. Got a great letter from them.
Most NYC programs are fairly FMG friendly.

In general, in order to get a rotation you just have to get by a clerk or academic assistant. They can be quite overworked and snotty. If your med student contacts someone in the program directly, or if you do so for them, things can often be smoothed out.