1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I need a game plan.. 8 weeks out

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by DarklingThrush, Dec 2, 2018.

1. DarklingThrush

Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am taking the MCAT on 1/24/19. I am currently unhappy with my progress and my inability to retain content.

I have taken two full lengths, NS 1 and 2, with the exact same score/breakdown 507 (126,127,126,128). I have almost done all of UWorld averaging around 60s-70s, I have pages and pages of notes, I have Anki. I can’t figure out why the information isn’t sticking and why I can’t apply it to full lengths. I spend days reviewing them afterwards. Any suggestions out there? I was aiming for a 514+ and am worried I may come up short.

Thanks!

2. DoctorOrdinary

Pre-Medical
    I've heard that NS is deflated around that score range but I'm not entirely sure. An AAMC FL will definitely be the best way to measure your current standing. After taking the first AAMC FL, you should review whatever content you were not proficient in, and after some time (maybe a month apart with constant practice and revision) take the 2nd FL, then the 3rd. My friend went from 508 on FL1, to 514 on FL2, to a 519 on FL3. Ended up getting a score near FL3.

MCATKINGS likes this.
  3. toedrag

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Agree with the Ordinary Doc above. NS exams are definitely deflated <508. I was around that NS range early on and ended up hitting a 500 on my first AAMC FL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    DarklingThrush

Pre-Medical
    Deflated or inflated? The other poster is saying deflated, which means the NS score is lower than usual. Are you saying the opposite and that the NS score is inflated and thus will yield a lower score on AAMC exams?

5. toedrag

Sorry I meant to say that the Next Step exams are inflated******

As in, a NS exam of 507 would correspond to an AAMC score <507

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WMMCDNLD1

WMMCDNLD1 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Start using the AAMC material for practice. Question packs shoot for 90% or greater. Section banks 70% or greater that seems to correlate with 510+.

5 weeks out from my exam I ditched all my Kaplan material thanks to the advice of some SDNers. I focused soley on AAMC material. I used the question packs to address my content understanding and fill in holes. With the section banks (SB) I did them untimed and went super slow. The SB is like a collection of the hardest questions you'll see on the real thing. While they are challenging they will help you develop your understanding of the MCAT and how to approach the harder questions without being overwhelmed. I reviewed everything, all right and wrong answers. In the last 5 weeks I pulled my score up 8 points; CP 130, BB 131 thanks to those section banks lol.

PlsLetMeIn21 likes this.
  7. Peter Pan.

The Next Step exams get harder as you go and some people suggest just doing 1-4 because the rest of the exams are content heavy and can get ridiculous. That’s why many people I’ve seen on reddit actually do the exams in reverse order. After 1-4 I suggest some Alti test prep or EK exams if you are still looking to do some 3rd party exams.

I’ve heard NS exams less than 505 are inflated. And the closer you are to 510 the more deflated they are. I’ve seen people getting 510-515 score close to 520 on test day with some people getting a tad above their NS scores.

Also some of their C/P and B/B passages can be really long.

8. toedrag

Also, I thought that NS's P/S was extremely unrepresentative. Most of the passages were 1 paragraph and asked straight content questions. The real deal P/S is much more CARS esque

9. Peter Pan.

This is true too. And a good number
    of their content questions weren’t on the AAMC official guide. They test you on random content sometimes. Passages are short and don’t have a lot of graphs or data interpretation. Alti test prep and EK are better options.

10. toedrag

Yes, EK is solid for P/S. KA is my favorite

11. OP
    OP
    DarklingThrush

Pre-Medical
    What about UWorld? I got above a 90% on the P/S section. I'm curious if that is more representative

12. duckdoc20

Got a 129 in P/S, if your scoring that well on Uworld and your 128+ on NS your going to be A-okay come exam time.

Edit: in addition I think Uworld is much harder than NS but I think both get you prepared for what your going to have to do on test day

DarklingThrush likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    DarklingThrush

Pre-Medical
    Ok awesome. I took the first two NS without doing any P/S studying ahead of time. This UWorld is after studying a little and just going for it.

14. Peter Pan.

UWorld is more geared toward content. Khan Academy has some passages that involve more critical thinking and experimental passages. They have a lot of passages and they’re free. P/S section banks will help with these skills too.