I need a little advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick J

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in studying medicine and will begin medical school soon. I am, however, a bit worried about clinical rotations and residency. I have a disability which slightly effects my balance, walking, and ability to stand for long periods (Due to pain). My condition is only minor and I can walk just fine without support, but I'm not a very quick wa;ler and I don't want that to hold me back. It's always scared me about medicine because I know hospitals are busy, fast-placed places to work. It bothered me so much that originally I decided I was not going to go to medical school and I was going to give up on my dream of becoming a pediatrician. However, I decided that if I did that, I'd always regret not going to medical school and not becoming a doctor, so I told myself I wanted to try.

Basically, I just want to know what kind of help exists for someone in my place? I'm able to perform medical procedures without issue as the only thing that is effected are the things I've outlined above. How will this effect medical school and residency? I know it's not going to be easy, I just want to know what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

i really doubt that you should have any large issues.
if you have already been accepted and chosen a medical school, i would 1) read the technical requirements for that school (although they are similar to all school i believe) and 2) when you get there, speak with a dean of student affairs or an adviser or something to make them aware of your condition and they can help you determine whether youll need any help and when.

the only problem i can see is surgery where you may need to stand for many hours. this can be an area where you may need slightly special accommodation or just understanding from the attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
the only problem i can see is surgery where you may need to stand for many hours. this can be an area where you may need slightly special accommodation or just understanding from the attending.

I agree. Surgery was my primary concern when posing the question. I've also read some of the horror stories of med students during surgical rotation, so I'm worried it'll be 300x more scary. :eek:

if surgery is not what you want to do, then who cares? LOL thats a little flippant, but if you want to do say peds, then your surgery rotation grad wont matter too much

if surgery is not what you want to do, then who cares? LOL thats a little flippant, but if you want to do say peds, then your surgery rotation grad wont matter too much

True there, I don't have any interest in surgery. I guess I'm just the type of person who likes to do as best as possible, even if it's not necessary, but I guess I can grit my teeth and see what comes of it.