I need a therapist, NOW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Scooby-Doo

So, i got back my score, not good at all 16M. I knew I wasn't going to do well. My question is: if I retake it and get a much higher score, will (in general) medical school admin turn me down because of my first score. My GPA is a 3.6, I currently volunteer at the hospital for about a year now and will be working at a care home and hospital later next month as a certified nursing assistant. I also was a teaching intern for an intro to bio lab course for a semester and coached for the girls basketball team at my old school. Now that I told you my background will I still be able to get into a medical school? Please I need guidance. Oh yeah, my verbal and physics scores were really bad. Any materials and advice would help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd retake it if I were you. Stay optimistic :luck:

You've got a solid GPA and other credentials. From what I hear, med schools usually look at both scores (if you've taken it twice) and they like to see improvement. I don't see them flat out rejecting you because of one score. Keep your head up and show improvement.

You've got a good GPA and extracurriculars - the only thing you need to do is kick the MCAT's ass.

You want to set aside a period of time where you can do nothing but study for it - a couple of months at least I'd say. Go to the thread that has to do with 30+ MCAT study habits - you'll want to pick one of these plans, basically the one you can afford, and go with it.

If you want my advice get:

ExamKrackers Complete Study Package
MCAT Audio Osmosis
AAMC 3R - 9 Practice Tests
NOVA MCAT Physics
ExamKrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning
ExamKrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Physics

If you get all of these things and work through them, things will turn out much better.

I think that this will help your verbal and physics scores, and hopefully in a year from now the MCAT will be history. =] Good luck my friend.

I don't think the first MCAT score will be a death knell if you show them a REAL improvement. Keep in mind though, it will have to be a real one. If you get it up to a respectable level(think upper 20s at least), I would imagine adcoms would overlook the older score.

(Rock on fellow CNA:cool: )

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, you'll get more respect if you take it a second time and score, say a 27 than someone who went up from a 26 to a 29.

Retaking and doing significantly better has a greater potential to help than hurt (except in schools that average scores).

study your ass off for the next go around. i mean like your life depends on it. 50-60 hrs a week, for several weeks. ace the mcat. then in your interview/personal statement/somewhere, tell them you had a stomach virus the day of the 16m mcat

Trust me, you'll get more respect if you take it a second time and score, say a 27 than someone who went up from a 26 to a 29.

Hey shut up that's exactly what I did... lol
26 -> 29.

But I like the osteopathic thing, so I'm pretty happy (considering my friends got between 31-36 on the mcat)

Guzzyron,

Good luck on your applications. Although your MCAT score was a bit lower, I think with all your experiences and everything I remember you telling me when you had me review your PS, you seem like a fine candidate outside of that one matter. i'd also recommend trying to apply to the HBC schools and seeing if you have luck there.

Good luck to you!!!

It's nice that you still remember me, gujuDoc. Thanks again for the tips with my PS. ***Hugs*** :p Well, I'm not doing too bad in this process (check mdapps: 6403), despite everything, I've got 2 interviews coming up. :scared:

So how is this process going for you? Good luck to you too. :luck:

:D

Hey shut up that's exactly what I did... lol
26 -> 29.

But I like the osteopathic thing, so I'm pretty happy (considering my friends got between 31-36 on the mcat)

:laugh: :laugh: I had YOU in mind when I was writing that statement :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding, I didn't. But goodluck to you, :luck: future DO! :)

Azhopeful,

How come you are applying to such few schools and not trying to look into a greater number of places especially those in the top 20 rankings??? Is there any particular first choice you have right now??

well, mainly because i'm applying so late, and because i had already made up my mind that i wouldn't get much of an mcat boost. i spent my whole application time preparing plans for if i screwed up that stupid test, not for if i actually did well on it. i also looked at my career goals and realized that a top 20 school would not necessarily be the Godsend for them. if i knew how things would pan out i probably would have applied to more schools, oh well.

oh, and i'm also getting married, which is taking a lot of interest from med school(go figure)

to the op:

much easier to imrpove from a bad score, then being in the higher range and going up a few points. check the amcas statistics. BUT --- don't do what i did (2x) ! practice, remember how you studied the first time, then do NOT study that way again.

and say you had the runs on yr first interview. always worked when i was a kid.good luck.