I need a title!!! Something fancy and sexy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ee2k3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not match. I have a year to make myself look fancy and sexy to residencies. I found a job working at a children psych hospital.

I work directly under the medical director.
My role: everything a resident does except the doctor signs off on everything.
I'm in charge of the all the residential units. Review charts, interview pts, write notes, make medication recs, followup with fellow staff and med professionals.

The doctor created this job for me. He came up with the title Medical Assistant. Is this fancy and sexy?

I am confident his LOR will explain things well and shed light, yet I want my CV title to represent.

COMMENSE CREATIVITY!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Medical assistant has a very particular meaning and is a licensed professional in most states that functions below the level of a nurse, typically doing vitals and things. I would not use this title, as it already has been appropriated.

Maybe try psychiatric clinical associate? Psychiatric clinical assistant? They sound fancy enough while being nebulous in their meaning enough for you to fill in the blanks.

i dont think a title will help you.

but this isn't a medical assistant position which is the lowest level position and often what pre-meds do to get into medical school (though most medical assistants can barely read)

how about assistant physician? clinical assistant would be fine as well. though it sounds as if you're basically a 5th year medical student

really it would be best to defer graduation by a year if not too late

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical assistant has a very particular meaning and is a licensed professional in most states that functions below the level of a nurse, typically doing vitals and things. I would not use this title, as it already has been appropriated.

Maybe try psychiatric clinical associate? Psychiatric clinical assistant? They sound fancy enough while being nebulous in their meaning enough for you to fill in the blanks.
very good point. those sound fancy indeed!

i dont think a title will help you.

but this isn't a medical assistant position which is the lowest level position and often what pre-meds do to get into medical school (though most medical assistants can barely read)

how about assistant physician? clinical assistant would be fine as well. though it sounds as if you're basically a 5th year medical student

really it would be best to defer graduation by a year if not too late
already graduated. assistant physician is a program the state of Missouri is creating for unlicensed docs to work in rural clinics.

Are you in Missouri?

It looks to me that the Missouri Division of Professional Registration is still drafting rules for that program and at a minimum is 6 months away from starting licensure of Assistant Physicians.

From what you described, in many states you might be considered practicing medicine without a license and the medical director aiding and abetting a person in the unlicensed practice of medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, you seem to be handing this well. I have a current patient who is in a similar position but is very depressed. Feels like everyone else is moving on. How are you doing?

Clinical Assistant to the Medical Director might be a good one and I second what the MD JD says. Make sure to check on the legality of this. Getting in trouble with a licensing board is never pretty.

Are you in Missouri?

It looks to me that the Missouri Division of Professional Registration is still drafting rules for that program and at a minimum is 6 months away from starting licensure of Assistant Physicians.

From what you described, in many states you might be considered practicing medicine without a license and the medical director aiding and abetting a person in the unlicensed practice of medicine.
Hmmm...well I'm doing the same work as I would if I was a 1st year resident. Arent they unlicensed doctors?

OP, you seem to be handing this well. I have a current patient who is in a similar position but is very depressed. Feels like everyone else is moving on. How are you doing?

I'm doing well. This experience has taught me a lot about myself and truly has made me a more complete me. Feel's like everyone else is moving on? For me, I have a community that is very supportive. Initially I allowed myself to grieve than I got down to business. Started message lots of psychologists and social workers to get their opinions and after a month on social worker hooked me up with another social worker who then hooked me up with the medical director. If your patient would like to talk with me, I would feel comfortable emailing. Sharing is caring :)

Hmmm...well I'm doing the same work as I would if I was a 1st year resident. Arent they unlicensed doctors?

You are correct, most 1st year residents are unlicensed. But, they are residents in an accredited GME training program who must become licensed during the course of training.

If a medical director is going to allow you, as a medical school graduate, to do the work of a 1st year resident outside of an accredited program, I need to sit for the bar in your state.

"I need a title!!! Something fancy and sexy!" Misdemeanant? Felon?

When I was looking for a psychiatrist, I came across a doctor who described himself as such but had been kicked out of two residencies and never completed one. I am not sure if Virginia (where I live) requires some residency to practice medicine, but they obviously don't require completing a residency. When I was searching to find out if that was common I saw that Missouri requires no residency training to practice medicine but has some requirements such as first becoming an assistant physician for 30 days and then practicing within 50 miles of your "collaborator" who reviews 10% of your charts:

http://www.physiciansweekly.com/practicing-without-residency-training/

Frankly I would not want to be treated by such a doctor, but it sounds like there are slim pickings in Missouri.

As far as titles, Esquire always works in a pinch. Sounds like it means something important and is suggestive that you're a lawyer, but in reality it's a fairly vague descriptor that is legally accurate for really any male (and if you're not, use it as a forward-thinking gender bender).

Members don't see this ad :)
Missouri requires no residency training to practice medicine

Although the Missouri Governor signed the bills for assistant physicians, the final rules appear months away from enactment.

The physiciansweekly.com article went on to say "[a]ssistant physicians would be expected to treat simple problems...." Simple problems at a child psych hospital?

Last edited:
This seems like a terrible idea, sounds like your attempting to practice medicine without a license.

If I found out a loved one was being cared for in an arrangement like this I would be calling the medical board. Presumably your supervisor would be commiting fraud as well if he were billing for services you provided.

Last edited:
I must clarify. Everything I do is supervised. I make no decisions. Everything is the direct decision of licensed and board certified psychiatrists. I do indeed write notes and dictate notes, which the doctor reviews and sings. I interview patients who the doctor will then also interview. I offer medication recommendations, but he writes all scripts and makes all decisions.

From the Medical Board of Kaliforneyah, 2010:

The Medical Board of California issued a stern warning Thursday to the state's 120,000 physicians not to let international medical school graduates work in their offices treating patients.

"This practice is only lawful if the scope of the work is no more than a medical assistant would perform," the board said in its July 1 newsletter. The board said it "continues to receive complaints" about the practice.

International medical school graduates must enter approved, accredited residency training to qualify for a California medical license, generally offered out of the state's large teaching hospitals.

"They cannot 'moonlight' or gain experience by participating in an 'externship' by working in a physician's private office or clinic."

Additionally, the board warned practicing physicians that overseeing such international medical graduates clinical work could be hazardous to their own licenses.

The board newsletter described as "a recurring problem" the letters it receives from physicians who "extol" the unlicensed international graduates "hands-on clinical patient skills with the hope of impressing future training program directors. These letters are being commonly referred to the medical board's enforcement division "to determine whether the author of the letter has allowed an unlicensed individual to treat his or her patients."

Such enforcement action could mean a citation against the doctor for "aiding and abetting" unlicensed practice, or the author of the letter acknowledging that the letter embellished the descriptions of duties performed by the trainee.

The warning applies to U.S. and Canadian graduates not licensed in California, nor formally enrolled in an American Medical Association's Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education approved physician assistant training program.

"Forbidden Secrets Assistant". There's you fancy sexy title.

I do indeed write notes and dictate notes, which the doctor reviews and sings.
I doubt you writing notes, even if the doc signs them, is allowed for services that get billed. Also, I hope you really meant sing and not sign. That's a place I'd want to work.

Despite your MD, I'd be VERY careful with any title using terms like "Physician" or"Doctor" since you're obviously not licensed.

Of course I'm of the opinion that medical students being referred to as "Student Doctor" is highly unethical, so I'm a bigger hardass than most about this topic.

Reactions: 1 users
I must clarify. Everything I do is supervised. I make no decisions. Everything is the direct decision of licensed and board certified psychiatrists. I do indeed write notes and dictate notes, which the doctor reviews and sings. I interview patients who the doctor will then also interview. I offer medication recommendations, but he writes all scripts and makes all decisions.
are you writing notes of your own evaluations or his? the former is fraud if he is billing for it. being a scribe for his evaluations on the other hand is fine. i think the point that is being made is that a fancy sexy title rather than help you could hurt you.

To the original poster, I would think long and hard about this especially after reading what MD JD wrote.

Basically seems like your letter from this could be a huge potential liability because any program director could decide to send it to a medical board and presumably they will find you were outside of your legal scope, because your legal scope basically consists of shadowing and transcribing the physicians notes word for word.

Anything you or he says to try to impress programs with this experience is putting you and him in legal danger.

Assistant to the regional manager.

Do NOT use assistant physician. This is a gross misrepresentation of what you do and as previously noted, there are legal implications involved. You are not an assistant physician. You are an assistant TO the physician. There's a huge difference.

First of all, you are not doing the same work as a 1st year resident. Let's be clear about that. Secondly, no, they are not unlicensed doctors. First-year residents have restricted/provisional licenses AND DEA numbers to practice medicine, prescribe medications, and see patients. What you're doing is the work of a 4th year medical student, essentially a sub-I.

You are correct, most 1st year residents are unlicensed

In what state are 1st-year residents unlicensed? I don't know of a single state that allows 1st-year residents to write scripts without a license, NPI number, and DEA number.

Secondly, no, they are not unlicensed doctors. First-year residents have restricted/provisional licenses AND DEA numbers to practice medicine, prescribe medications, and see patients.

In what state are 1st-year residents unlicensed? I don't know of a single state that allows 1st-year residents to write scripts without a license, NPI number, and DEA number.

I know of at least one:

To get a license in California, graduates of United States medical schools pass USMLE I, II, and III and complete one year of ACGME residency training that meets the general medicine requirements. U.S. graduates must be licensed by the first day of their third year of ACGME training.

Does California issue a resident or training license?

No. California only issues a license which allows a person to practice medicine in California. However, an exemption to licensure is offered to residents who graduated from a US or Canadian medical school who are early in their postgraduate (PG) training program . . .

DEA registration is based on a state license. Practitioners (e.g., intern, resident, staff physician, mid-level practitioner) who are agents or employees of a hospital or other institution may, when acting in the usual course of business or employment, administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances under the registration of the hospital or other institution in which they are employed. Likewise for the NPI.

50 states, 50 licensing laws.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Don't let 'em pick guitars and drive them old trucks
Make 'em be doctors AND lawyers and such.

Last edited:
I know of at least one:

To get a license in California, graduates of United States medical schools pass USMLE I, II, and III and complete one year of ACGME residency training that meets the general medicine requirements. U.S. graduates must be licensed by the first day of their third year of ACGME training.

Does California issue a resident or training license?

No. California only issues a license which allows a person to practice medicine in California. However, an exemption to licensure is offered to residents who graduated from a US or Canadian medical school who are early in their postgraduate (PG) training program . . .

So while they don't have the license itself, they are offered the exemption to license, so that legally, they can practice medicine under someone else. The OP is not awarded any such legal cushion. As said previously, he/she is doing the work of a medical student.

DEA registration is based on a state license. Practitioners (e.g., intern, resident, staff physician, mid-level practitioner) who are agents or employees of a hospital or other institution may, when acting in the usual course of business or employment, administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances under the registration of the hospital or other institution in which they are employed. Likewise for the NPI.

Exactly. The OP is not eligible for such a thing as he/she has no license and has not been offered an exemption. To call himself physician anything is disingenuous at best.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
Don't let 'em pick guitars and drive them old trucks
Make 'em be doctors AND lawyers and such.
[/QUOTE]

Interns may not have a permanent license with all the rights and authorities of you and I have, but they indeed have state approval to practice in whatever the state calls that accreditation. In my state it's a "training/provisional license". Even if it's called something else, I can guarantee California has something similar.

Just to re-iterate…be very very careful about trying to make up a title, as that is something that licensing boards jump on. There are also issues w. how you represent yourself to the public, what you do, etc. Being conservative in sacrifice of some ego is a small price to pay to avoid a black mark against your professional name before you even officially start your career as a licensed physician.

What if I word what I do like I'm serving as the function of a medical student doing a SubI?

For example:
Working with the Medical Director, I help manage the residential units, both preadolescent and adolescent. My responsibilities include participating in interviews, helping write and dictate notes, presenting at treatment reviews, and communicating directly with nursing, therapists, and technicians. Though unable to serve as a physician, daily I am mentored by tenured psychiatrists, who help me understand and develop my case formulating skills and logical, evidence-based processing.

i think it needs to be self-explanatory. why can't you just say you are doing an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship..like it! Seems safe. Apprentice to the Medical Director. Fancy and sexy!! Though I like Psychiatric Clinical Assistant to the Medical Director (avoids any terms of being a physician)

Here's what I understand..when I describe my position, it needs to be done with a finesse. I want to avoid making it seem I am working independent of a physician (which I am not doing). Everything I do is under direct recommendation of a licensed physician (which is the case).

it shouldn't sound fancy and sexy as that will just make you sound like a numpty. personally i would automatically blacklist anyone putting silly things like that on their application. do not give people any more reasons to overlook you. it should explain why you are doing. apprecticeship would be something people understand. clinical assistant is extremely ambiguous. you might be overthinking this anyway.

In my state it's a "training/provisional license". Even if it's called something else, I can guarantee California has something similar.

You had better tell the Medical Board of California!
see "General Questions About Licensure" at: http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Physicians_and_Surgeons/
["Does California issue a resident or training license? No. "]

50 states, 50 laws.

OP, this job created for you sounds more like an externship:

Washington DC VA Medical Center Psychiatry Externship

The Washington DCVA Medical Center welcomes your interest in our psychiatry externship program. Our program provides physicians with a unique learning opportunity with United States military veterans. Physicians working under the supervision of board-certified, attending psychiatrists can participate in a variety of potential settings including a substance abuse rehabilitation program (SARP), a mental health intensive case management program (MHICM), and an inpatient psychiatric unit, Mental Health Clinic, Emergency Room and Consultation Liaison program. Patients at the DCVA have a full spectrum of diagnoses with an emphasis on dual diagnosis and chronically and/or severely mentally ill. Supervision and training in the diagnosis and evaluation of DSMV disorders, clinical interviewing, history gathering, the prescription of psychotropic medications, and psychotherapeutic input are essential aspects of this training experience. Externs participate in didactic seminars. Externs are expected to work full time and stay a minimum of six months. A letter of recommendation will be provided at the end of your training. Externs are volunteers; thus, the medical center does not offer any financial compensation or benefits to doctors during the externship period.

it shouldn't sound fancy and sexy as that will just make you sound like a numpty. personally i would automatically blacklist anyone putting silly things like that on their application. do not give people any more reasons to overlook you. it should explain why you are doing. apprecticeship would be something people understand. clinical assistant is extremely ambiguous. you might be overthinking this anyway.
thank you. what you are saying makes total sense. I think I will go with apprentice to the medical director.

You had better tell the Medical Board of California!
see "General Questions About Licensure" at: http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Physicians_and_Surgeons/
["Does California issue a resident or training license? No. "]

50 states, 50 laws.

OP, this job created for you sounds more like an externship:

Washington DC VA Medical Center Psychiatry Externship

The Washington DCVA Medical Center welcomes your interest in our psychiatry externship program. Our program provides physicians with a unique learning opportunity with United States military veterans. Physicians working under the supervision of board-certified, attending psychiatrists can participate in a variety of potential settings including a substance abuse rehabilitation program (SARP), a mental health intensive case management program (MHICM), and an inpatient psychiatric unit, Mental Health Clinic, Emergency Room and Consultation Liaison program. Patients at the DCVA have a full spectrum of diagnoses with an emphasis on dual diagnosis and chronically and/or severely mentally ill. Supervision and training in the diagnosis and evaluation of DSMV disorders, clinical interviewing, history gathering, the prescription of psychotropic medications, and psychotherapeutic input are essential aspects of this training experience. Externs participate in didactic seminars. Externs are expected to work full time and stay a minimum of six months. A letter of recommendation will be provided at the end of your training. Externs are volunteers; thus, the medical center does not offer any financial compensation or benefits to doctors during the externship period.
Thank you for your extensive clarifications and warnings. I hadn't understood the significance and possible risks. This thread proves my need to develop concise language for explaining my role, because indeed what I'm doing is much more an externship than any other clinical responsibility.

You'd be better served to do research or something else tangible to show that you used your gap year productively. You can talk about clinical experience, but there are far more pitfalls if you try and dress it up. Research is almost always looked upon positively if done at a decent place.

This seems like a terrible idea, sounds like your attempting to practice medicine without a license.

If I found out a loved one was being cared for in an arrangement like this I would be calling the medical board. Presumably your supervisor would be commiting fraud as well if he were billing for services you provided.

So many people are trying to do this nowadays.
I know an NP who is very very happy she has a doc collaborating with her (not me). This way she is "not really responsible"..Her words..

Now back to y0ur original programming..

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, concerns, and questions. Much light was shed :) Maybe not fancy and sexy, but enlightening and realistic.