I need a toxicology topic for a presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketafol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med student here, need to do a 20 min presentation. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Med student here, need to do a 20 min presentation. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

What interests you? Have you seen a relavent case? What service are you on? What year are you?

There are numerous topics. Unless you have seen something obscure, stick with mundane and common. Try to narrow your topic, especially if you are supposed to present something evidence based.

I can list quite a few medications that might be relavent to any service, however they can quite broad:

Acute or chronic acetaminophen
Aspirin
Individual drugs of abuse
Digoxin
betablockers
Calcium Channel blockers
Individual antipsychotics can be quite interesting, but very broad and technical
TCAs
Approach to the intoxicated patient
Toxic electrocardiograms
Whole bowel irrigation

The key is to pick something that you like and actually want to learn about.

With more information, your topic can be more easily refined.

Anti-freeze is always a favorite.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Jimson weed! :hungover:

Nutmeg intoxication - I have treated 2 cases in the past year

Here's the problem with Tox. Your choice is to do something common that has been beaten to death (eg. APAP, TCAs) or do a real zebra that no one will ever see (eg. nerve gas). Picking which way you want to go is a good start.

Here's the problem with Tox. Your choice is to do something common that has been beaten to death (eg. APAP, TCAs) or do a real zebra that no one will ever see (eg. nerve gas). Picking which way you want to go is a good start.

Agreed. I DO think that med students would find something like acetaminophen poisoning useful because they will possibly see it sometime in the next year and will feel super smart when they see it or mention it in their differential.

For a 20 min presentation I wouldn't choose something like APAP or ASA, too broad and too much known. I would focus on something a little smaller like a specific plant or a much less common med where you can educate in a short period of time as to the basics of the medication. As mentioned above Jimson weed or something that is abused is always fun to do research on because you realize that you could buy all this stuff in like 5 min on the internet.

A 20 minute presentation is too short to bother with pathophysiology. I'd keep everyone's attention, keep it clinically oriented and maybe someone might actually learn something.

Try answering a clinical question or two in the context of brief case presentations.

Take care,
Jeff