I need advice for April 2016 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLeadSeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends!

First off, I apologize ahead of time if a similar question to this has been asked. I searched the forums and am pretty sure it has not.

I will be a senior this Fall and plan on applying next cycle. I want to take the MCAT in April right before I graduate and start my app (will be applying DO).
Only thing is, I will have a full schedule (18 credits) this Fall and Spring. In terms of prereqs, I will be taking Orgo 2, Physics 2, and advanced phys this Fall. I will take Biochem in the Spring. I have already taken psych and soci.

I want to start studying this September and end in April right before the exam. That's about 8 months of studying (1 hr a day, 3-4 a day during winter break).

1.) Does anyone see this study plan as feasible, despite the fact that I will be currently enrolled in some prereqs?

2.) Anyone have any 8/9 month study schedules or ideas?

3.) Any other recommendations or ideas? I really want to apply next cycle if possible.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Add on/more info/revelation:
Since I am taking 2 of the major prereqs (Orgo 2 & Physics 2) this Fall, maybe I should wait until December to begin studying for the April exam? That way I study for 3-4 months while taking Biochem?

The only reason I want to start studying in September is to avoid having to study 4-6 hrs a day during my full Spring course load.

Another thing I could do is take the MCAT late next summer during the application cycle (maybe August) but that is the second to last option. My very last last option would be wait until 2017 to apply.

I would say start whenever. Friend studied from October 2014 to June 2015 and he did very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The risk you take with a long, drawn out MCAT study period is that you start forgetting things.

If you can find a way to retain the information, go for the long route.

IMO, I taught myself psy/soc in the winter, started my content review in March with 10 credits of science classes (biochem, orgo and labs) and then studied intensively for 5 weeks in between June and July. I took the July MCAT. I can't say how it worked out, but being able to focus on the MCAT at the very end was helpful. If I had tried to take it while doing classes I think that would have been disastrous.

The risk you take with a long, drawn out MCAT study period is that you start forgetting things.

If you can find a way to retain the information, go for the long route.

IMO, I taught myself psy/soc in the winter, started my content review in March with 10 credits of science classes (biochem, orgo and labs) and then studied intensively for 5 weeks in between June and July. I took the July MCAT. I can't say how it worked out, but being able to focus on the MCAT at the very end was helpful. If I had tried to take it while doing classes I think that would have been disastrous.

I think going the longer route can only help me as long as I remember the content until the Spring.

Question about those 5 weeks you did in June/July. Did you do mostly practice tests, or a mix of content and practice? Finally, what prep material did you use? Thanks!

by the way, awesome name haha

This is what I did in the last 5 weeks:

-Filled in the gaps in my biochem knowledge. My biochem class didn't cover some of the crucial pathways that are on the MCAT, so I spent time understanding and filling those in.

-My physics was kind of weak so I also did some content brushup there.

-Lots and LOTS of passage practice. I used TPR and Khan. I thought Khan was a very good supplement for psy/soc. I took the AAMC FL at the beginning of the 5 weeks and then again at the end. Same with the AAMC practice questions. Once I took the AAMC FL, I realized the nature of the questions was SO different than what TPR offered.

-I would do TPR tests to gain testing endurance, but I knew it was not an accurate representation of the real thing.

This is what I did in the last 5 weeks:

-Filled in the gaps in my biochem knowledge. My biochem class didn't cover some of the crucial pathways that are on the MCAT, so I spent time understanding and filling those in.

-My physics was kind of weak so I also did some content brushup there.

-Lots and LOTS of passage practice. I used TPR and Khan. I thought Khan was a very good supplement for psy/soc. I took the AAMC FL at the beginning of the 5 weeks and then again at the end. Same with the AAMC practice questions. Once I took the AAMC FL, I realized the nature of the questions was SO different than what TPR offered.

-I would do TPR tests to gain testing endurance, but I knew it was not an accurate representation of the real thing.

Was TPR tests that much harder or totally irrelevant to the test itself? I am thinking about using them to prep for the MCAT

Was TPR tests that much harder or totally irrelevant to the test itself? I am thinking about using them to prep for the MCAT

The TPR tests are really nothing like the AAMC FL, or the real thing. That being said:

*They do test your knowledge vigorously, which is a good thing. Some of those tests are pretty darn hard.

*They will build up your endurance for a 7.5 hour exam.

*They are good for CARS.

I think TPR is great for content review, but TPR and Khan sort of missed the mark for what the exam is actually like.