I need advice for reapplication. Is this in bad form?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephanieZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I sent in my AMCAs today and am waiting to be verified. I'm not feeling to confident about my chances this cycle. Here are my stats:

GPA - ~3.7, science and total
MCAT - 28
ECs - not much, a few short term commitments to clubs and sports, mostly during freshman year
Clinical/volunteering - I took EMT classes and did ride-alongs for those. Other than that, zilch
Research - worked for a semester in an electrophysiology lab, did a two week course/research experience in neurobiology

No clinical or volunteering is going to hurt me the most, and that combined with weak ECs will probably make me a non-candidate. I'm applying on a hail mary and planning to reapply next cycle, so I want to get started ASAP on sprucing up my application.

As such, I want to make an appointment to talk to admissions counselors at the schools I'm applying to. However, since I'm still an applicant for this cycle, will it reflect badly on me if I start talking to them about reapplication already? I don't want to come off as unconfident and kill any chance I might have had for this cycle, however remote. If I go in and be honest with them and say "I'm not anticipating matriculating this cycle, I want to start talking about what I can do to make myself a stronger candidate", will that look bad?

Aside from that, I plan to find a position volunteering at a hospital to get some clinical and volunteer. Does anybody have advice on what else I can or should do? What would be the best route for me to take. I don't want to suddenly join a bunch of clubs and come off as fake. I don't have a ton of time, so I need something that will give me the most bang for my buck. All opinions are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I sent in my AMCAs today and am waiting to be verified. I'm not feeling to confident about my chances this cycle. Here are my stats:

GPA - ~3.7, science and total
MCAT - 28
ECs - not much, a few short term commitments to clubs and sports, mostly during freshman year
Clinical/volunteering - I took EMT classes and did ride-alongs for those. Other than that, zilch
Research - worked for a semester in an electrophysiology lab, did a two week course/research experience in neurobiology

No clinical or volunteering is going to hurt me the most, and that combined with weak ECs will probably make me a non-candidate. I'm applying on a hail mary and planning to reapply next cycle, so I want to get started ASAP on sprucing up my application.

As such, I want to make an appointment to talk to admissions counselors at the schools I'm applying to. However, since I'm still an applicant for this cycle, will it reflect badly on me if I start talking to them about reapplication already? I don't want to come off as unconfident and kill any chance I might have had for this cycle, however remote. If I go in and be honest with them and say "I'm not anticipating matriculating this cycle, I want to start talking about what I can do to make myself a stronger candidate", will that look bad?

Aside from that, I plan to find a position volunteering at a hospital to get some clinical and volunteer. Does anybody have advice on what else I can or should do? What would be the best route for me to take. I don't want to suddenly join a bunch of clubs and come off as fake. I don't have a ton of time, so I need something that will give me the most bang for my buck. All opinions are appreciated!

Honestly I would pull your application, because if YOU have very little confidence in it, chances are adcoms won't either.... Being a re-applicant will put you at a severe disadvantage (I know from experience). When I applied, I didn't even know enough about the app process to know I shouldn't have applied, and in hindsight, I wish I hadn't. Ideally, you want to submit your strongest application ONCE. With a below average MCAT (assuming MD), no clinical, and little EC, your outlook isn't very good. Remember that you are competing with people who are just as good, and even better than you are, and the majority of them don't get in every year. Right now, your application will stand out for all the wrong reasons. You've just told us you have handed them three reasons to pass right by your application, when they don't even really need one.

Using the Temple AdCom guy's analogy, right now you have a less desirable house (MCAT) in an decent/good neighborhood (GPA) with no embellishments/renovations (EC). And to extend it, no lawn/staircase/kitchen/something essential (clinical experience). You don't have too far to go, but I wouldn't say you're ready to apply.

So, I'd:
1) Withdraw before it's verified, so you don't have to be a re-applicant
2) Get on clinical ASAP
3) Get on volunteering ASAP
4) Perhaps re-take the MCAT

Honestly I would pull your application, because if YOU have very little confidence in it, chances are adcoms won't either.... Being a re-applicant will put you at a severe disadvantage (I know from experience). When I applied, I didn't even know enough about the app process to know I shouldn't have applied, and in hindsight, I wish I hadn't. Ideally, you want to submit your strongest application ONCE. With a below average MCAT (assuming MD), no clinical, and little EC, your outlook isn't very good. Remember that you are competing with people who are just as good, and even better than you are, and the majority of them don't get in every year. Right now, your application will stand out for all the wrong reasons. You've just told us you have handed them three reasons to pass right by your application, when they don't even really need one.

Using the Temple AdCom guy's analogy, right now you have a less desirable house (MCAT) in an decent/good neighborhood (GPA) with no embellishments/renovations (EC). And to extend it, no lawn/staircase/kitchen/something essential (clinical experience). You don't have too far to go, but I wouldn't say you're ready to apply.

So, I'd:
1) Withdraw before it's verified, so you don't have to be a re-applicant
2) Get on clinical ASAP
3) Get on volunteering ASAP
4) Perhaps re-take the MCAT

Is being a reapplicant really that big of a disadvantage? My thinking is that if my application is poor now, but I do alot to improve it by next cycle, it will show my dedication. Can you please explain why being a reapplicant is a disadvantage? I'm honestly curious because I had no idea this was the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a reapplicant you're not only competing with people who have just as good/better applications, you're also competing with a pool of applicants who have (for the majority) been able to put together those stellar applications in one try. To many schools "not being good enough to get in the first time" is enough of a reason for them not to consider you as a reapplicant. I'm by no means saying this stigma is correct or justified, but it does exist, and you want to avoid any stigma that could hinder your application.

It's also just more practical to save your money/time.

Also, check out numbers 6 and 7 here. Also peak at the top 5 reasons for getting rejected from med school--I'm seeing three of those in the OP: http://www.umich.edu/~slc/conf/2007/media/mecozzi/rjctapptipstoadvisors.pdf

I am a reapplicant myself. I spoke with my number one school about why I did not get in after the application cycle in order to better prepare myself. It was great feedback. I also found that I was ultimately more prepared by continuing volunteering and finding new opportunities for enriching myself and helping others.

My question to you is: Being that you have had a number of months since the last application, and you seem to understand where your weaknesses lie, why did you not begin to work on those problem areas earlier?

Not having much in the clinical/research/ECs area shows to most committees that this may not be your passion. Many people with great GPAs and a decent MCAT score apply, but what is it about you that will make you shine above everything else. While reapplying is not always looked upon negatively, it is a negative point to have gone through an entire year without improving your application.

I'm not sure if you got an interview last year, but whether or not you did you should know that they will want you to be able to expand upon your experiences. You should be able to talk passionately about any part of your application and show them how you are not only prepared to become a physician, but also why you will be a great fit in their program. If you are lacking in experiences to talk about, then you may find the interview extremely difficult.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide. Just think carefully about why you are doing this, and make sure that comes across to your schools. If this is your passion, then I wish you much luck in the upcoming cycle.

Option 1: You're still in the game right now. Get off your lazy butt, pick like 1-3 medically related ways to be involved in community service (local hospital etc.) NOW (did I say NOW!?!?!). Seriously, like NOW. Then change your application, and viola, you have now added significantly to your abysmal service history.

Also start working with SOMEONE on SOMETHING for some research. You can always put "in progress" on your application.

Retaking the MCAT sucks and I think they probably still average the two scores. Yours isn't great, but you'd better be confident you can truly do significanntly better if you're going to re-take it.

Option 2: Remove your application as mentioned by others, get your stuff together and re-apply later if you want it.

Option 3: give up

I don't think a 503 screens you out of all D.O. schools.

You are already going to be a re-applicant at all the schools to which you have submitted an application. There is no reason to send in $ for MD secondaries. There may be DO schools that will consider 503. Do not re-take the MCAT until you are sure that you will get a score consistent with success. A series of low scores is far worse than a single one.

There are a handful of MD schools, and ALL DO schools, for which your competitive, from your stats. But the lack of ECs will be lethal.

Hail Mary passes my work in football, but will lead to lots of rejections and money wasted in the med school application process.

So take a gap year and get the needed ECs in. You need to demonstrate your altruism and humanity, that you know what you're getting into, that you really want to be around sick people, and that you know what a doctor's day is like.

You should apply once, with the best possible app, not a half-assed one like you're doing now.

Not all clinical exposure needs to be in a hospital, Think clinics, nursing homes, hospice, crisis hotlines or Planned Parenthood.