I need advice: I don't need the NAPLEX for my job, but I feel like I should still take it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1031553

I'm a p4 and I accepted a full-time business role with a pharmaceutical company that does not require me to be a licensed pharmacist. I have always been certain that I would leverage the PharmD in the industry setting and I have no intention to become a practicing pharmacist in a patient care setting. However, I still feel like I should still take the NAPLEX while the knowledge is fresh just in case I make a career change.

My intent was to pass the NAPLEX now so I could save the score in case I ever decide to make a career change to a clinical setting. But now I am learning my test score would expire after 1 year....so I'm wondering if anyone has suggests?

Is there any way I can take the NAPLEX now and wait to take the law portion/apply for the actual license years in the future if I need to? Or is the only option to get fully licensed now and maintain that license. I'm leaning towards just skipping it all together and pursuing the license when/if that time comes (i'm a good test taker and I'm not worried about forgetting the knowledge).......thoughts?? thank you in advance for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

You certainly do not understand your law sufficient to sit for the MPJE to realize that your hours become expired if not in the licensing process in a certain period of time, and you may not even sit for the Boards should your intern hours go stale, not to mention that most states force someone who never initially licensed or was without a license to potentially repeat a year or more of school at expense. What was the point of you going to pharmacy school in that case?

In PA, NJ, and NY at least (as well as other states), you may not represent yourself as a pharmacist unless you are licensed in the state. And you bar yourself from most regulatory affairs work. On the other hand, it is probably best for all concerned if you do not license if that is you frame your decision over such a triviality. I wish you the best of luck with your career in industry.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats OP!

To me it seems like you will very likely not regret (or regret very little ) getting a license even if you don’t end up using it whereas if you choose not to get the license and then regret it it could be catastrophic. I recommend just getting the license.

Reactions: 1 users
I would highly recommend you take the exam while the information you have from pharmacy school is still fresh... Better to be safe than sorry in the future. You never know if you want to come back to practicing or maybe just utilizing your license to pick up some per-diem jobs if available.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.