I need advice. I'm currently applying to optometry schools.

Aug 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hey everyone,

Here is my story.

OAT Score on Kaplan Tests 320 ( I plan to take my OAT exam on August 27)

I am applying to ICO, PC, Salus, NOVA,Western.

Any advice will help. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

chelle111

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Status
Optometry Student
Hey everyone,

Here is my story.

GPA: 2.69 (By April, I expect to have 3.0)
OAT Score on Kaplan Tests 320 ( I plan to take my OAT exam on August 27)

I am a Canadian student applying to ICO, NECO, PC, Salus, NOVA,Western.

I have a lot of extra curricular. I have won several dance competitions, research assistant, crisis line support worker, worked at campus health, volunteered at several organizations since high school, volunteered at holistic clinics, and after school programs. I currently work at an optometrist office. I recently got the opportunity to shadow an ophthalmologist. One of my reference letters was my physics professor.

What do you think my chances are at getting at least an interview at these schools. I know my GPA is really low. I have called all of these schools. One of these schools told me I would potentially get an interview, while others told me that they would have to take a look at my whole application. I really want to be an optometrist and I'm trying really hard to make my application really strong. However my GPA is something that I can't really change. I went through several situations during my undergraduate that made my GPA weak.

Any advice will help. Thanks in advance
Depends how you do on the OAT, but it's up admissions to give you an interview or not... not users on SDN.. and they will also base it on your whole application package.. Graduate School or Post Bacc may not be a bad idea either. Time off isn't necessarily a bad thing! :) Goodluck!

About the Ads
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
If you kill the OAT than you may have a shot at puerto rico or some of the northeast schools

Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
You may have a chance this year, but it might be better to take post-bac/online classes to improve your GPA and try again next year. If you can explain the circumstances that lowered your GPA, that would help, too. What does your pre-health/pre-optometry advisor say?

Aug 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
I took the OAT today and these are my scores:

Quant 340
Reading 330
Bio 280 (not sure what happened)
Gen Chem 340
Orgo 360
Physics 340
TS 340
AA 330

Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
Congrats on Orgo! Overall this looks like a pretty strong showing. the bio score might be worrying but if you have done relatively well in bio classes in the past/do well this year, that could help?

Aug 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
Update!

The Admissions Committee of the Illinois College of Optometry has completed an initial review of your OptomCAS application. While portions of your application were considered positive, the Committee is still in need of additional information before making a decision in regards to inviting you to complete the supplemental application.

The Admissions Committee will conduct a second review of your application once we have received your fall grades....

Do I still have a chance at ICO? Has anyone else received this email?

E_wen

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2015
Update!

The Admissions Committee of the Illinois College of Optometry has completed an initial review of your OptomCAS application. While portions of your application were considered positive, the Committee is still in need of additional information before making a decision in regards to inviting you to complete the supplemental application.

The Admissions Committee will conduct a second review of your application once we have received your fall grades....

Do I still have a chance at ICO? Has anyone else received this email?
was this through optomCAS or did the Illinois College of Optometry contact you directly?

About the Ads