I need advice: SMEP or just research??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know which of the two to do during summer. I have the option of SMEP - which is attractive because it's "prestigious" I guess...and it has a high success rate. I also have the option of doing 10 weeks of paid research, which is also attractive - more money, more time away from home, and I get to spend some time on the West coast too.

The 10-week research program wins, but the problem is that I will only have finished my freshman year (unlike the other accepted students), and I have no background in orgo. Is it advisable to even think of doing research without organic chem. Biology is important, but I feel like chemistry is crucial!

Which should I pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Shrami said:
I don't know which of the two to do during summer. I have the option of SMEP - which is attractive because it's "prestigious" I guess...and it has a high success rate. I also have the option of doing 10 weeks of paid research, which is also attractive - more money, more time away from home, and I get to spend some time on the West coast too.

The 10-week research program wins, but the problem is that I will only have finished my freshman year (unlike the other accepted students), and I have no background in orgo. Is it advisable to even think of doing research without organic chem. Biology is important, but I feel like chemistry is crucial!

Which should I pick?

I participated in the SMEP program at Baylor last summer. It was an awesome experience, and one I would highly recommend.

Members don't see this ad :)
rrshah2 said:
Shrami, were you accepted to SMEP yet? I think I was rejected because I haven't been accepted yet. I don't understand it...I think it might be because I'm an overrepresented minority.

Yes I was. I applied pretty late, and my first transcript was rejected :eek: (they said it wasen't official). I had to send 2 more. They accepted me as soon as they got the official transcript. They told me they are a couple of weeks behind in processing the stuff anyway - so hold on.

Personally, I'd take the ten weeks - protracted involvement in a project is always better. Also, if they like you, you can go back again and again. Finally, you don't need organic chemistry to do research - they'll teach you what you need to know and you'll probably have time to fill in the rest while you're there. Anyway, they are both good options - good luck with your choice.

how does an overrepresented minority stand out for these types of programs, specifically the SMEP programs and/or the 10 weeks of paid research?

does it make you stand out for the top tier schools?

DEFINITELY RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!

You can do SMEP next year. The research will put you
ahead of many applicants esp. at your age. Don't defer
research, please!

SMEP can wait. It will help with conversation during your
interviews so i'd do SMEP closer to my interview cycle.

I did SMEP at Case last year and it was an invaluable experience for me personally. Research you can always do at your undergrad in bio deptt. I am an overrepresented minority and it didn't comeup in my SMEP thingy.

If you are sure you will get in next year at SMEP (keep in mind that the competition for those things is growing), then by all means do research.

SMEP will give you perspective of how med school is going to be....

Good Luck.

CanIMakeIt said:
I did SMEP at Case last year and it was an invaluable experience for me personally. Research you can always do at your undergrad in bio deptt. I am an overrepresented minority and it didn't comeup in my SMEP thingy.

If you are sure you will get in next year at SMEP (keep in mind that the competition for those things is growing), then by all means do research.

SMEP will give you perspective of how med school is going to be....

Good Luck.

dont you have to be have a minority to get accepted into smep?

Actually, you dont have to be a minority to get into SMEP this year. The program promotes health education for the underserved population. I know people who got in and they're caucasians. I, myself am an over-represented minority and got in this year.