Shrami

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
88
0
Status
I don't know which of the two to do during summer. I have the option of SMEP - which is attractive because it's "prestigious" I guess...and it has a high success rate. I also have the option of doing 10 weeks of paid research, which is also attractive - more money, more time away from home, and I get to spend some time on the West coast too.

The 10-week research program wins, but the problem is that I will only have finished my freshman year (unlike the other accepted students), and I have no background in orgo. Is it advisable to even think of doing research without organic chem. Biology is important, but I feel like chemistry is crucial!

Which should I pick?
 

JAMP

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
12
0
Status
Shrami said:
I don't know which of the two to do during summer. I have the option of SMEP - which is attractive because it's "prestigious" I guess...and it has a high success rate. I also have the option of doing 10 weeks of paid research, which is also attractive - more money, more time away from home, and I get to spend some time on the West coast too.

The 10-week research program wins, but the problem is that I will only have finished my freshman year (unlike the other accepted students), and I have no background in orgo. Is it advisable to even think of doing research without organic chem. Biology is important, but I feel like chemistry is crucial!

Which should I pick?
I participated in the SMEP program at Baylor last summer. It was an awesome experience, and one I would highly recommend.
 
OP
Shrami

Shrami

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
88
0
Status
rrshah2 said:
Shrami, were you accepted to SMEP yet? I think I was rejected because I haven't been accepted yet. I don't understand it...I think it might be because I'm an overrepresented minority.

Yes I was. I applied pretty late, and my first transcript was rejected :eek: (they said it wasen't official). I had to send 2 more. They accepted me as soon as they got the official transcript. They told me they are a couple of weeks behind in processing the stuff anyway - so hold on.
 

Mitro

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
169
0
Status
MD/PhD Student
Personally, I'd take the ten weeks - protracted involvement in a project is always better. Also, if they like you, you can go back again and again. Finally, you don't need organic chemistry to do research - they'll teach you what you need to know and you'll probably have time to fill in the rest while you're there. Anyway, they are both good options - good luck with your choice.
 

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2004
1,758
22
Status
Post Doc
how does an overrepresented minority stand out for these types of programs, specifically the SMEP programs and/or the 10 weeks of paid research?

does it make you stand out for the top tier schools?
 

LoveDoc

Respect the Rhesus Monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
555
0
Midwest
Visit site
Status
DEFINITELY RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!

You can do SMEP next year. The research will put you
ahead of many applicants esp. at your age. Don't defer
research, please!

SMEP can wait. It will help with conversation during your
interviews so i'd do SMEP closer to my interview cycle.
 

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
1,492
14
Status
Attending Physician
I did SMEP at Case last year and it was an invaluable experience for me personally. Research you can always do at your undergrad in bio deptt. I am an overrepresented minority and it didn't comeup in my SMEP thingy.

If you are sure you will get in next year at SMEP (keep in mind that the competition for those things is growing), then by all means do research.

SMEP will give you perspective of how med school is going to be....

Good Luck.
 

avinash

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
294
0
Status
CanIMakeIt said:
I did SMEP at Case last year and it was an invaluable experience for me personally. Research you can always do at your undergrad in bio deptt. I am an overrepresented minority and it didn't comeup in my SMEP thingy.

If you are sure you will get in next year at SMEP (keep in mind that the competition for those things is growing), then by all means do research.

SMEP will give you perspective of how med school is going to be....

Good Luck.

dont you have to be have a minority to get accepted into smep?
 

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
1,492
14
Status
Attending Physician
avinash said:
dont you have to be have a minority to get accepted into smep?
minority..yes and that means any minority but not necessarily URM, that is why they changed the name from MMEP to SMEP. Starting last year I think they opened it up for everyone. Still more preference is given to minorities.
 

chrisfeliciano

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
66
0
33
Long Island, New York USA
Visit site
Status
Actually, you dont have to be a minority to get into SMEP this year. The program promotes health education for the underserved population. I know people who got in and they're caucasians. I, myself am an over-represented minority and got in this year.